Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Levergun soulmates - which handgun?

Boolit Master

ye olde West soulmates?

Ya can't get there with a 357 carbine
    But, since you already have the 357 carb might as well match it up with a 357 handgun.

If $ were no object a Freedom Arms in med barrel length would be THE SA handgun- they are very fine handguns, albeit not a repro of anything.
    For budget purposes- one of the repro SAs. Or even a non-repro of anything Ruger.

If I could have a pair of old West soulmates and could have no other guns they'd be originals: Win 73 carbine and Colt SAA in 38-40 or 44-40

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It's good to hear I'm not the only one who likes a smooth sixty-six "K" frame .

There's lotsa nice single action guns to pick from if that's your flavor , the ones with a case hardened frame get "cool points" in my opinion

Jack

Boolit Mold
    No tough decision here... I'd go with my 4 5/8" SS New Model Vaquero - feels great on the hip and is scarily accurate with any load I put through it. A close second place would go to the 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

I got a real jones for any single action revolver...

Ron

IMHO, the Ruger Blackhawk - adjustable sights makes it easier to match sights/loads that work in both if that's your aim.

I'd personally go for one of the flattop versions.
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got my progressive set up for 38 Special.

It keeps these two feed WELL ! !

Colt Officer's Model Match 38 Spec. & Marlin 1894 CBC 38 Spec.

I've got about a " bazillion " different 38 / 357 Molds.

" Buckshot " just finished HP'ing my Lyman 358429. It is in the mail headed in my direction, should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to cast some with it !

Last edited by Ben; 01-12-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    May not be completely authenic to the Old West Ben,but dang,that IS NICE!
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

I agree with 405....you can't get there from where you're at. The 357 chambering puts you into the 1930's, a long way from the old west.

I think the proper companion, considering the cartridge, would be a S&W M27 with six inch barrel or a 38-44 Outdoorsman if nostalgia is a big factor and cost isn't.

If you think the N frames are too beefy to match up with your little '94 then Bret's M19 would be a good third choice.

Although I never could warm up to the Colt's, Ben's Officers Model sure looks nice and is a perfect match with his 38 Spl '94. (BTW Ben, what's that gawd awful looking red thing out there on the end of your barrel? )

Anyway, that's my opinion...but you're not trying to make ME happy, are you?

Jerry

Boolit Master
    That Colt sure is a fine looking revolver, Ben.
    Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    Jerry :

After using that " fire -sight " for a couple of shooting sessions, I replaced it with the factory Marlin gold bead.

As to nostalgia, that's a big issue these days with a lot of shooters. Nostalgia isn't a big deal with me however. I enjoy a wide variety of firearms. I'm not locked into any particular era.

pmeisel :

It shoots about 2 X as good as it looks....

I ran the s/n on mine, it was made in 1959.

Thanks !

Ben

Boolit Buddy

Make mine .44/40!

405:
    Ya can't get there with a 357 carbine
    I really appreciate all the replies. I agree with 405's assessment but remember, I said "in the spirit of the old west". Since I can't afford decent specimens of authentic old west guns, or offshore replicas for that matter, obviously some artistic license is in order here. To those who said Ruger Blackhawk, I reasonate with that choice since modern Marlins and Rugers aren't really "old west" guns, per se, but do represent the "spirit" of old west guns. Plus the Blackhawk does have the adjustable sights which are necessary for developing loads that are good in both guns.

To illustrate the point, I picked thie attached image off another internet forum which gets close, in my mind although this Ruger is in the longer barrel version.

Of course I've always loved penciled barreled S&W hand ejector models, maybe a pre model 10. Maybe not the old west, but definitely new frontier!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 302551512.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Jerry :

After using that " fire -sight " for a couple of shooting sessions, I replaced it with the factory Marlin gold bead.

Ben

Whew.....had me worried there for a sec.

Jerry

Boolit Master

Marlin w/ handgun

awaveritt,

Here's a pic of a Marlin 94 and a Ruger Blackhawk, both in 357. Is this the type of visual comparison you were looking for? Old West they aren't.... that was gone by about 1890.

The next pic would seem to be of correct vintage but not quite. The Win 73 is old enough but the Colt Bisley barely misses out, being an 1890s model. Both are in 38-40
    Last edited by 405; 07-21-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    A pairing I regularly carry afield is a Ruger New Vaquero and a Marlin Mountie.

Both are "meat makers." The Mountie has probably made more meat than any of my other firearms. I especially like hunting Grouse with it.

With a centerfire rifle ( Marlin 1894 -45 Colt, 1895-45-70, 336 30-30) I typically carry a Ruger Single Six. Though I have some good "cat sneeze loads" for the 30-30 and then 45 Colt Vaquero gets back in the picture. Also if'n I'm camped out where an uninvited guest might poke his nose inside my tent the Vaquero is most likely to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by awaveritt View Post
    In the spirit of the old west, leverguns and revolvers go together like peanut butter and jelly. What's your idea of a perfect companion to my new Marlin 1894c 357mag.
    (pics welcomed and appreciated)
    I like raspberry jelly on my Marlin. I think a 357 S&W with 4-5 inch barrel would be a nice combo, unless you want period correct handgun.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...05&isFirearm=Y

or a Taurus

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

s&W model 627 pro shop series gives me 8 in the pistol and 14 in the rifle lots of fun before time to reload.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by awaveritt View Post
    405:

I really appreciate all the replies. I agree with 405's assessment but remember, I said "in the spirit of the old west". Since I can't afford decent specimens of authentic old west guns, or offshore replicas for that matter, obviously some artistic license is in order here. To those who said Ruger Blackhawk, I reasonate with that choice since modern Marlins and Rugers aren't really "old west" guns, per se, but do represent the "spirit" of old west guns. Plus the Blackhawk does have the adjustable sights which are necessary for developing loads that are good in both guns.

To illustrate the point, I picked thie attached image off another internet forum which gets close, in my mind although this Ruger is in the longer barrel version.

Of course I've always loved penciled barreled S&W hand ejector models, maybe a pre model 10. Maybe not the old west, but definitely new frontier!!!!
    I'm a 44 man myself when it comes to re-living the old west. Of course, I took a different tack and have everything in 44 Russian loaded to be an equivalent of the 44 Henry (but in centrefire, so I could reload it...).

BUT, I like all kinds of guns, and since you've already got your 357 Marlin carbine, AND you want something in the SPIRIT of the old west, I think I have the perfect suggestion for you.

CDNN still has some of the Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary models available, and they're on sale for like $350 or so. It's built on the "retro" smaller frame (same size grip and frame as the Colt SAA), but with Ruger durability and adjustable sights. I think it's perfect for you. Get your FFL to call CDNN tomorrow!

(BTW, I bought a 44 Magnum version 50th Anniversary, and it's awesome. All I had hoped for, even though the sights were set wrong - Ruger fixed it.)
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Whit , that's a very nice picture of your lead launchers , the backdrop for them is just perfect !

Jack

Boolit Bub
    If you're not looking for strength for hot loads, and just want a good looking repro, I'd have a look at the Cimarron Model P. I love the color case-hardened look. I bought a used one for my wife in .22 mag and it's about the best looking firearm I own. They are available in all the period calibers, too. The price is not bad either.

n the 'spirit of the West' I 45-70 Guide Gun and a BFR 45-70 revolver (barrel shortened). We have the griz bears here in MT. territory. Handy, especially using horses in the high county.