Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to casting and will get a few molds but starting to look at Sizers

Boolit Buddy

New to casting and will get a few molds but starting to look at Sizers

Well I guess it is time to start looking at "Lube Sizers"
    Looking at new first RCSN LAM 2 and lyman 4500, also looking at used.
    Jus save a few pennys and get new or maybe should say Is it even worth getting used?
    What do ya'll recomend?
    I measured the cast bullets i have bought the 9mm are 356 and the 45 are 452. I might buy a used sizer die since it comes with the top punch i need for the 9mm mould I have.
    The top punch I need is no longer made
    It comes with a 357 sizer die can this be used with 38/357 bullets?
    Last edited by 340six; 12-12-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Used is fine if its not beat up. I would go for an RCBS vs. the Lyman as it is a bit sturdier and RCBS has better warrantee. A link broke on my Lyman (poor design in my view) and they charged me $10 for a new one. In my experience, RCBS will repair or replace anything at no cost.
    ph4570

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends on what you can find used, and the price difference between new and used. I have an older RCBS Lubeamatic, I bought it used.

Robert

I bought 2 RCBS Lub-A-matics used and am pleased with them, mostly because of RCBS' warranty. While they're strong machines, some of the body castings are essentially clones of the Lyman #450, which I also have and use most of the time. If you buy a Lyman, lay in a supply of nuts and bolts (hardware store item) for the linkage, as they are prone to breakage if you try to resize a very large and hard CB . Also, they sometimes leak lube from the base, but that's a surprisingly simple and effective fix, which will take no more than 10 minutes to accomplish.* All 3 machines have served me well (I keep different lubes in each.) and work with both Lyman & RCBS H & I [sizing] dies.

*Search the site's archives for info. about this.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a used Lyman 450 on ebay for $105 a few years ago. While this may seem high I got 5 sizers and 5 top punches and lube with it and to my delight it came in the original box and looked barely used. The top punches and sizer dies can ad up quick. If you look try to get one with a few sizers and that helps with the cost. I believe though the RCBS are built a little better even though they are basically the same and use the same sizers. I might go with that one.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    They have this as a set at a good price as I realy wanted a larger pot it is realy free with the deal as I wanted the newer book as well mine was printed in 1973. Plus I could use the dipper.

Boolit Master
    The lyman casting kit is the cheaper route if you are looking at a true size/lube machine and I think the newer lyman is decent although there has been some issues with the handle bolts when trying to size down too large of a bullet. Some people here should be able to give you a honest review of the new Lyman 4500 machine. I use to have an old Lyman 45 which wasn't a bad machine, but now have an RCBS because I found in on a great sale, $110 new, from a shop in colorado while on vacation. I nearly fell off my chair so I quickly pulled out my wallet before they checked the price on it. I don't know if it was a mistake or not with their pricing, but I am happy with my machine.

I cast quite a few bullets and having a quicker route, the star, would be nice but a bit more labor intensive to change over to another calibers or even lube other bullets in the same caliber. The star can be set up for use on rifle bullets, but the RCBS/Lyman/saeco machines are easier to work with for this application. Another point, the star is more expensive all around. It would be nice for say the 45 ACP bullets on long runs, but I am a cheap person and find my time using the RCBS is better for my nature.

Saeco lube/sizers are the same in mechanical principle to the RCBS or lyman machines as the bullet passes through the die twice (once down and then back up) and they are well built. I find that it is more pricey for a saeco machine as well as for their dies though not has high as a star. The lyan and rcbs machines are interchangeable with their top punches and sizer dies so this is a plus for either the Lyman or RCBS machines in my opinion as it makes it easier to find what you need for your casting.
    Last edited by RobS; 12-06-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    BTTT I edited it with more info thanks again

Boolit Master
    340six,

I went with the Lyman kit...it works well. If one considers the price of the book, ladle, pot and ingot mould, the sizer is almost free.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

sizers

If you look at an old Lyman cat you will see where all the lubers came from
    "Lyman".the star and meepos are related.and the saeco uses dies like the meepos.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    Hi I would be remiss if I did not mention the only lubesizer I will ever use!!!
    Last edited by seagiant; 05-11-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Seagiant:

Nice Pic of my favorite lube sizer!

340six:
    I've had about 10 lube sizers in my time and most have come and gone! Currently the lube sizers I have are the only two Stars I ever bought and an old Lyman Number 1 that I keep for "special" designs that don't work with the push through technique I use with the Star, Lymans 429303 is a prime example of this exception.

This is really going to boil down to two things: your budget and the volume of shooting you do ( or more importantly might do in the future).

The RCBS is a good choice for "slow" rifle and pistol loading....a couple hundred rounds a month.

Anything more than that and look for a Star!

Lymans are good, RCBS uses the same dies and stuff, the Seaco is by far the better lube sizer than the Lyman or RCBS and equal to the quality of the Star but not as fast. Only reason I don't own a Saeco currently is I sold the one I had to my BIL so he could stop struggling with the Lyman 45 he has!

Do some shopping around and get the best tool you can afford for the amount of shooting your going to do!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    340six,

I went with the Lyman kit...it works well. If one considers the price of the book, ladle, pot and ingot mould, the sizer is almost free.
    Where did you buy it and how much was it if you don't mind me asking ? I'm just getting into casting and this is on my list of things to buy. TIA.

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Thank you 462.

Boolit Master
    You are quite welcome.

Boolit Mold
    After doing a lot of research I've settled on a Magma Star and just ordered it. It should be with me in a couple of weeks.

Good choice.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

Boolit Master
    After doing a lot of research I've settled on a Magma Star and just ordered it. It should be with me in a couple of weeks.
    Good choice.
    I'll second that, great choice! (Of course, some folks think I'm a little biased when it comes to lubesizers!)

lathesmith

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by vegplot View Post
    Great choice....