Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ER Shaw Barrels and Barreling Service?

Boolit Master
    I sent two model 70's off to Shaw a few years back, one in a .257 Weatherby that shot well a 26" fluted tube, the other a short 2.5 contour (20" long) stainless in .338-06. It may be the most accurate rifle I have, I could prarie dog this rifle with 200 grain ballistic tips, no kidding easy 1/2 moa.

Boolit Mold
    I had Shaw barrel a 98 for 35 Whelan AI. I could not have been more pleased with the work and turaround time. Go for it

Kind of off topic, kind of on. When you guys sent your rifles off to Shaw, did you mail them yourself and Shaw sent them directly back to you? Not sure how that owner shipping/to owner shipping stuff works.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerman View Post
    Going to make it a Whelen. Just have to decide whether to send it off or order a Shilen barrel and have a local 'smith do the chambering or to send it to Shaw. They really have a pretty good "package" deal on the project.
    Shaw has done two barrels for me. The last one, I added blueing, sights and a muzzle brake to the order. I couldn't find either a local or long distance gunsmith to come any where near as low as Shaw's package deal. Shaw's blueing prices are about the best you can find anywhere and they do an excellent job. Unfortunately they will only do blueing with a barrel order.

I bought a brand new Winchester 670 in 30/06 in the late 70's. The price was 129.95 and it included a Weaver 4 power scope. I got it from Woolco. I went there to pick up a Ruger 45 Convertible that I had on lay away. Due to harassment from the then BATF. Woolco put all the lay away-ed handguns back into stock and mine was sold. I got a refund, a 10% off coupon and used it to buy the 670.

Quote Originally Posted by j20owner View Post
    Kind of off topic, kind of on. When you guys sent your rifles off to Shaw, did you mail them yourself and Shaw sent them directly back to you? Not sure how that owner shipping/to owner shipping stuff works.
    I sent it directly to Shaw via insured US Mail and it was returned to my door by UPS. The US Post Office may tell you it has to go by registered mail. The USPS regs say registered mail is recommended but it is not required. Call Shaw and ask to speak to Chris. Chris usually answers the phone. He will explain the entire shipping process and will answer all questions quite throughly.
    Last edited by azrednek; 12-16-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been wanting to do another Whelen anyway. I have no use whatsoever for anything in the 6mm bore size, none. I have a couple of .358's already so it's no big deal not to make this one up in .358. I much prefer short action cartridges in short action rifles.

Still undecided about whether to send it out or have a local smith do the work. One reason that I have not considered a "rebore" is because I seriously doubt that there is enough meat in the existing barrel to go safely from .243 to .35 caliber.

Boolit Master
    I'll add my .02. I have 4 Shaw barrels, 22-250 to 45-70, and all shoot very well. I would not hesitate to buy more in the future. That said, if I was building a bench gun or an extremely accurate varmint rifle, I would use a better name barrel. All my Shaw barreled guns are used for hunting and with some load tweaking will shoot around an inch at 100 yds. I also shoot cast in all of them with no complaints. Can't help you with shipping, as Shaw is just on the other side of Pittsburgh from me, and I delivered and picked them up myself.

Boolit Bub
    I looked into a .358 cal Shaw barrel a few years ago.I believe their rifling was stated as 3.5 thou deep where Adams and Bennet was only 2.5 thou deep.The twist was 1 in 14.They should shoot cast well.I am thinkin the 670"Ranger"? has a blind box magazine like the 70A and the discontinued push feed Black shadow which will make finding a stock a bit harder.
    wheeze

Shaw's current turn around time for barrel work is 6 months.

Boolit Buddy
    ER Shaw :I had dealing with them on more then once over the last 30 years with large ring Mauser's action and some springfields.
    The bolts bents,drilled and taped and installing there barrels and reblueing the complete barrel action :I can say never had a problems excellent turn around time 6 to 8 weeks.I know they are a little slow around the hunting season .

Boolit Master
    My first .243 was in a 670 Winchester.

I believe it was a short action but that's many years ago .............. I'd check with an '06 cartridge.

Three 44s

I'm still a little concerned that if it is a long action with a filler block that the feed lips milled into the action will give you problems. Once you take the filler block out, or put in a 30-06 magazine box, and follower the feed lips just won't be in the right place, or the right shape. I did that once, going from a .243 to a 7X57, and had all kinds of issues.

Over the years, I have owned two long action rifles with filler blocks installed in the front of the magzine box so shorter rounds could be used, they are;

1. A factory Remington 30-S (a commercial version of the old 1917 Enfield) chambered for 25 Remington. Now that is a short round in a loong action.

2. A custom 98 Mauser chambered for the .243 Round.

Both had filler blocked soldered to the front of the magazine box, the tops of which had been contoured to be an extension of the action feed ramp. The follower was shortened. No modifications had been done to the action itself. The block could be removed, a standard follower used and the action was good to go for a long round again.

It has been a few decades since I had on of those rifles to look atk, but I would think a filler block could be fashioned from steel or aluminum with a trough in the top which would slide the round right into the chamber. Polish the trough real well and fix the block to the front of the magaine box with solder, epoxy or a small screw or two.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two 110's in med length actions and one is setup with a single feed follower and the other has the stock follower and internal mag. I can load and shoot the single almost as fast as the other one. As these are push feed, all you have to do is drop the cartridge on top of the follower and work the bolt. I can get off three shots almost as fast in the single feed as I can load three in the mag of the other one and feed them. If you count the time it takes to load the internal magazine, probably faster.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by j20owner View Post

As the firearm owner, you can ship direct to a licensed repair station and they can ship directly back to you. I usually use FedEx.

Handguns are stricker if I remember.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a Win 670 new in 1964, .270 ca.
    Over time and money I changed it to a M70 type. Bought a M 70 Bell & Carlson syn. camo stock and floorplate hardware for a M70. Still have it. It's one of my most accurate rifles with 130 or 150gr bullets. No cast yet, but I do have a RCBS 27-130-FN mold.
    Don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Too many memories.