Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and cons of the lee tumble lube 44 caliber

Boolit Grand Master
    Bret, my opinion's always been the lubricant needs aren't too great in moderate velocity pistols, and a good lube never lets the bullet get a hold on the barrel as it's floating on an excessive film of lube. Leading's nonexistent, accuracy is likewise.

If I put something like 50-50 or Lyman Super Moly on a single lube groove HG 68 bullet, groups suck. I shoot much smaller groups with my J frame 38 snubbie than my 45 when that happens.

I think there's a reason they put crappy hard waxy lube on commercial hard cast pistol bullets. The crappy lube doesn't overlubricate and groups are then just fine.

I have the Lee TL 44 SWC. I had no problems with the boolit when it was loaded at the low end of the powder range (and with an excessive amount of LLA). I did not try any loads at the upper range (yet). These boolits were shot out of a S+W pistol and Marlin rifle. The 44 Mag felt like a 44 Special. Accuracy was good enough: better than I could shoot, but shot low as would be expected. The recovered boolits showed excellent rifling engraving on the surface; no lead smearing.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Mold
    I spray case sizing lube on my bullets before I size them. I use Midway. Seems to work fine and is cheaper.

Boolit Mold
    I use Midway case lube on my cast bullets and have no problems sizing them. I think it is cheaper than using the Alox. I always re-lube with LLA or a recipe from this web site after I size.

I shoot a LOT of .44 magnum and the 6-cavity TL430-240-SWC has probably become my #1 mold. There are better designs but this mold is great for cranking out a PILE of boolits which can be quickly lubed with mule snot (liquid alox) for accurate plinking loads that are still stout enough to kill something with.
    Last edited by kingstrider; 12-31-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Keep moving forward!

Quote Originally Posted by tackstrp View Post
    I never see anyone write about the merits of the 240 grain Lee tumble lube in 44 caliber TL430-240-SWC. All I ever read is how great and accurate the Lyman 429421 240 cast bullet is when pushed to the highest velocity possible, which stresses shooter and the hand gun. I also read that great accuracy only seems to come from bench rest shooting. I never read about off hand shooting or rapid fire. As a result i wonder about what the real world difference between a lyman 429 421 mold and the Lee TL 430 240 swc.

If someone would post pro and con of the Lee tumble lube molds I would greatly appreciate reading what you have to say.
    I have and use the same Lee mold in the standard lube groove version and it is a fine boolit. As far as the rest of your question, you don't here about accuracy merits of off hand or rapid fire vs benchrest shooting, is that the former would a test of the shooter and not the gun, boolit, or load.