Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ok new to all this

Boolit Buddy

Ok new to all this

I figure it is one of the ways to preheat the moulds.
    But keep seeing guys post here "I smoke the cavities" or lighty smoke" how is it done?

Using a kitchen match or a butane lighter, smoke the cavities to deposit a layer of soot on the cavity surfaces to help the mould release the bullets more easily.
    Glen

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    BTW, it doesn't figure into pre-heating the mould. That's a separate step using a hot plate, resting the mould on the top of the casting pot or dipping the corner of the mould into the melt for a few seconds before casting.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master
    Another reason to smoke an aluminum mould cavity is to slow the transfer of heat from the molten alloy to the mould blocks a bit. That often means the difference between wrinkled raisins and smooth castings.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    ...and if the smoke film reduces the size of the boolit, it's WAY too much smoke. Gotta remember, when smoking cavities, some gets on the block halves. If it's measurable in the cavity, it's measurable on the block half. Reduce the size of the cavity, increase the gap between the blocks (beagling). If it's that close, you need a bigger cavity.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't really seem to see any difference with Lee or LBT (both aluminum) molds with
    or without soot.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I don't smoke any of my moulds. If the boolits require more than a slight love tap from a small, rubber mallet, they get the Kroil treatment.

Boolit Master
    I smoke mine when I get started, but really just end up pulling the boolits out with a gloved finger anyway.

I would agree with the above advice, but add do not use a candle. You will get a wax residue deposited along with the soot and will get wrinkled boolits!
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

In Remebrance

Smoking a mould is a last resort measure. don;t do it unless you have to.

Boolit Master
    I lightly smoke the molds before the very first casting when they are new, and again if I am having trouble with the mold. I have cast thousands of bullets from my mold, but only smoked them a very few times.

I have smoked my cavities a few times... I see no difference. Okay the mold may let the boolits go off easier the next few casts, but afterwards it's the same...
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Boolit Master
    I smoked mine in the beginning but found I had fewer problems and better boolits after I stopped. A clean mold is a happy mold. Better luck releasing them after carefully breaking the edges of the cavities.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.