Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Lee lube and size kit for 8mm?

Boolit Mold

Lee lube and size kit for 8mm?

I see that they make this lube and sizer die at .323 but no larger. I have a Gew98 that takes a .324 bullet. Any smaller and it doesn't do well. Can this die be used to seat the gas checks but not size the bullet down? Also, with this die, a assume that it is impossible to lube the bullets with lube other than liquid alox.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaS View Post
    I see that they make this lube and sizer die at .323 but no larger. I have a Gew98 that takes a .324 bullet. Any smaller and it doesn't do well. Can this die be used to seat the gas checks but not size the bullet down? Also, with this die, a assume that it is impossible to lube the bullets with lube other than liquid alox.
    ............Heck anyone who's ever cast for an 8mm KNOWS that a .323" die is all you'll ever need! The thought of any one of the millions of 8x57 rifles made by the umpteen manufacturers in the past 121 years needing anything larger has to be from some other planet.

Now that the comedy is out of the way, you can without a whole lot of trouble polish out a Lee .323" die to .324" if that's what you're wanting, or .325" even. The sizing portion of the die is barely a tenth inch wide so doing it won't become a career.

" Can this die be used to seat the gas checks but not size the bullet down?"

Yes "But" the die should be a bit over the desired boolit OD so no sizing takes place, in addition the GC has to be firmly & squarely seated flat on the boolit's base before sending it up through the die. The reason for this is since the boolit isn't being sized there isn't any resistance so the pushrod won't be able to correct any tilt or further seating as it passes through the die.

" Also, with this die, a assume that it is impossible to lube the bullets with lube other than liquid alox.

The Lee Push Through has no means to apply lube. It sizes only. You can use LA, you can apply lube by hand, you can pan lube, or you can run the slug into a lube-size die a thousandth over your desired OD for lube application only, and then send it up through the Lee push through. The later method is the handiest, cleanest, and IMHO the MOST accurate way to size a cast boolit that has to be sized.

Since you're one in a million needing a size die over the 'recognized' .323" size Lee offers, I'll mention I make custom size and lube-size dies in case you don't want to attempt opening up one yourself. Just PM me for details.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

Now that the comedy is out of the way
    ...............Buckshot
    What do you mean comedy???? That's all true???? Isn't it????

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info. I think i'm just going to go with the Lyman lube sizer die in .325. I don't have an RCBS or Lyman press but know several people who do who i'm sure will let me use theirs.

Smile

If you have a Lee Factory Crimp Die for some .30 caliber rifle, you can easily seat the checks on unsized 8mm boolits by holding the checked end of the boolit down in the jaws of the collet and operating the die. Adjust the die till the check is crimped to the desired diameter. No more work than pushing them through a Lee sizer.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    If you have a Lee Factory Crimp Die for some .30 caliber rifle, you can easily seat the checks on unsized 8mm boolits by holding the checked end of the boolit down in the jaws of the collet and operating the die. Adjust the die till the check is crimped to the desired diameter. No more work than pushing them through a Lee sizer.
    Ok now that is some thinking.

Boolit Master
    I use thiat boolit and have sized with the LEE sizer at .323 with good results. With that being said I ordered a .325" sizer and haven't had a chance to test fire.

Boolit Master
    Montana, lapping out the Lee pushthroughs is a snap. Apply fine valve grinding compound to 4 or 5 cull bullets, run them through just like you were sizing. When the first one comes out the top, run it through again. When they start going through without resistance, you will have opened your die up more than a thou but no more than two.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.