RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet puller.......which one will work?

Boolit Buddy

Bullet puller.......which one will work?

Have some .357 loads I need to take apart, as they are too hot to shoot from my gun. I put these rounds together with a Lee Factory Roll Crimp die, and they are FIRMLY crimped....... So much so, that the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks.

Will another method / puller work? Like what.......?

Boolit Mold

too tiight crimp

Been there. gave up and found deep water in a close by lake.

Boolit Master
    "the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks."

Whack harder?

We have three types of pullers; collet, inertia and a snug fitting washer type thing made by Forster that fits into a press. Only the inertia puller works with most hand gun ammo.

Well, you CAN use large wire cutters to pull the bullets. Put the rounds on the press ram with no die installed. Stick the bullets above the press top and grasp them with the cutters. Drop the ram to withdraw and then toss the bullets.

In Remembrance
    Once I learned how to use it properly (which came from reading the instructions AND ensuring I had all of the necessary parts ), I wouldn't trade my Hornady bullet puller for anything.

Quick question, which is more important to save, the brass or the bullet ??
    if you say BRASS, then the really cheap way would be to put the rounds in your press, run them up, put a 3/8 x 2" washer [this is an option] over the bullet, then grab the bullet with a pair of vice grips and lower the press ram.
    IF the bullets are cast, you will probably leave the gas check, you can either fire these to remove the GC.
    PM SENT
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

I've pulled military ammo that has bullets sealed,glued with something by first pushing the in the bullet using a 2x4 and then using the whack puller. You need to make sure you are hitting the whacker square, I hit mine on a cement floor.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the ideas guys.
    The brass is more valuable.......finding .357 mag brass is very tough right now in Canada.
    I'll prolly have to resort to the press / visegrip method.

Boolit Mold

Which one will work

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Have some .357 loads I need to take apart, as they are too hot to shoot from my gun. I put these rounds together with a Lee Factory Roll Crimp die, and they are FIRMLY crimped....... So much so, that the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks.

If they are to hot for your gun..........Be a nice guy and offer to zero your best friends gun for him.....He will save on ammo and have his gun proof tested for free...... Best to you on recovering your brass...........Jim

Boolit Grand Master

I use a block of lead to wack mine on. It works better than wood because it is more solid yet soft enough to have a little give.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

With an inertia type puller you need to let your wrist realax and allow the puller to whip in the opposite direction once you make contact with the material you are hitting it on, don't just hit it and forget it! Lead or the end grain of wood is a great material that will give a little.

Boolit Grand Master

I forgot to mention. One good hard wack will do what a hundred little wacks won't.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've pulled stubborn boolits with an inertia type puller. Smack hard!! If needed add a slug or two to the inside of the puller.

The wire cutter method works also.

I had about 1100 hot 9mm once. Started with the kinetic to give the Hornady collet puller something to grab. Did this one winter several years back. Salvaged lead, powder, primed brass. Spread it out over several months. Wouldn't want to do it again though.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    "the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks."

Whack harder?

We have three types of pullers; collet, inertia and a snug fitting washer type thing made by Forster that fits into a press. Only the inertia puller works with most hand gun ammo.

Well, you CAN use large wire cutters to pull the bullets. Put the rounds on the press ram with no die installed. Stick the bullets above the press top and grasp them with the cutters. Drop the ram to withdraw and then toss the bullets.
    I have used this method with vice grips. Ruins the boolit, but saves the brass and powder.

I found an old RCBS collet puller, wont trade it for anything, tight enough it does ruin a cast boolit, but it yank em' out even from a Redding crimp die crimp. Then again, what is life without vise-grips.....

Pete

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Quick question, which is more important to save, the brass or the bullet ??
    if you say BRASS, then the really cheap way would be to put the rounds in your press, run them up, put a 3/8 x 2" washer [this is an option] over the bullet, then grab the bullet with a pair of vice grips and lower the press ram.
    IF the bullets are cast, you will probably leave the gas check, you can either fire these to remove the GC.
    PM SENT
    The gas check can be removed if you carefully flatten the case mouth a little.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

So much so, that the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks.
    One thing an inertial puller needs is a firm, that is unmovable surface, upon which to be thrashed.

I had a similar problem using my bench: when I started beating the puller on the concrete floor, it was magical.

Two whacks for even the most heavily crimped bullet works for me all the time.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Master

what are you striking the puller on ?...hit a hard solid surface. i use basement floor...cement, when the workbench top is not enough.

how lite of a bullet/boolit is in the case ?

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Le Loup Solitaire

Bullet pulling idea

If you have only a few rounds to do and don't want to invest in a puller here is a way to get things disassembled without damaging the brass or the bullets. Take two pieces of steel or iron...bar stock or plate an inch or so wide, 1/4" or 3/8" thick, and any length, the measurements are not really important. Lock one in a vise, put the bullet neck on it and place the second piece on top..also on the neck area and roll it and the round back and forth a few times under downward pressure. After several rolls the neck will become lose and you can pull the bullet out with your fingers. LLS

Boolit Master
    Le Loup, that is a great idea for pullng cast handgun bullets!

Boolit Master

Pulling bullets

I did some nines with new brass, found out too late that I went a little high for the tiny case, bullets seated deep causing pressure. Got tired of trying to whack 'em out, and came over here for an answer (I'm from CBA). Here's the set up, all that you do special is to clean the lead shavings out of the press threads with light oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vice grips 002.jpg  
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton