MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: your worst shooting gun?

Boolit Mold
    I had a ruger Blackhawk in 357 that shot 8" high and three inches to the left at 25 feet. It was so off I could not adjust the sights enough to make it anywhere close.

Boolit Master

Savage 10ML-II muzzleloader. Bought it because (in 2000...) it was rated to be "able" to shoot smokeless powder if one wanted to. No problem, don't want to shoot smokeless from a muzzlyloader. I burned up two pounds of pyrodex trying to get groups under a foot. Tried minnie balls, maxi balls, saboted bullets of various weights to no avail. Daggone shotgun primers this thing uses and it doesn't have an extractor, had to take a rawhide mallet out back to beat the bolt handle back because my hands couldn't take the pounding. Finally found a load of two pyrodex pellets and .44 saboted Hornady's would shoot 2" groups but was so frustrated with it it's sat for 8 years now, just don't trust it, my 25 year old Knight will put 'em in every time....

....then I find the Savage Shooter forum. Instead of being helpful like cast boolits these people are like in "LUUUUVV" with this gun and barbequed me for stating facts. Appears in the recent years Savage had changed the recommendations for this rifle and evidently it will shoot ONLY certain .45 cal bullets with MMP sabots and one of two rifle powders that I don't have and isn't worth a hoot with Pyrodex. The people over there gave me the suggestion to "shoot the recommended load (WASN'T a recommended load when I paid over $500 for this gun....) with the proper powder and quit wasting your time. Powder is available from Midway so buy some....blah, blah, blah" Uh-huh, I'm gonna pay $23 for a pound of powder and $35 in hazmat shipping fees, RIGHT.

It's a real nice rifle and I suppose if I got the right powder/bullet it might shoot very nice but, and I don't know if you'll understand this or not, but I have ZERO confidence in this gun now. Never had a muzzleloader or rifle so hard to work up a load for.....OK except for an old CVA percussion with a 1-66" twist that I couldn't hit anything with. No wonder Dan'l Boone and Davey Crockett and them boys was so skinny, they were starving to death!!!

Biggest disappointment, a Springfield V-16 long slide 45.
    I like 1911's but not this one, never did get it to shoot like it should.
    It sure was purty though ,,

Bob.

Boolit Master
    I had a mini-14 that I couldn't get to shoot better than 4 or 5" at 100 yds. It was a handy rifle to carry, but not so handy to hit with.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    I had one as well (Mini-14)..I thought that I was the problem. I sold it and bought a 700 Rem .223 ...what a difference.

Mine is a Ruger M77 243 I got new in 1973-4, The lead was so long, who long was it, about 6 inches or so. No one has a bullet long enough to get within .60 of the rifling. no joke
    The good news is I got a lathe about 3 years ago, rechambered it and now it's not bad.

Boolit Master

Many years ago I got a deal on two rifles in 32 Winchester Spl. One was a win 94 the other was a Marlin pre micro-groove with a peep sight. The Winchester I sold for more than I paid for both guns before I even got a chance to shoot it, so I figured I was ahead of the game. A friend had a Little Martini Cadet rechambered to 32 Spl. That he bragged about, so I thought I would get the marlin to shoot. I bought a set of RCBS dies and ordered a Lyman mold and bought some J-bullet. First try with j-bullets had difficulty keeping the any shots on paper at 100 then 50 then 25. Found someone had sanded and reblued the peep sight, and in doing so had taken enough metal off the slide to make it loose, bought new Redfield sight. While waiting for the sight the mold came in, so I cast some bullets, and then ordered a sizing die and top punch. All the orders finally came in and I had to go out of town for a month. Got back slugged barrel sized and lubed bullets loaded up 100 rounds (30-30 brass opened up) and went to the range. I think all the shoot hit the berm, could have left the spotting scope home, nothing hit the paper. Sent off for another mold and custom sizing die and some more j-bullets. At this point I was less than eager to continue my low cost rifle was less than low cost and getting less low cost by the minute, but I had bit of stubbornness kick in and I was going to get this thing to shoot or know why. Had a friend of mine bring over some sulpher and showed me how to do a chamber cast, this revealed a lot of wear in the lead. Tried some more j-words, got on paper, nothing great but it was progress. Seated cast out to where they were touching the rifling, OAL was too long to work through the magazine feed but could single load them. With peep sight at 50 yards could get 6” groups. Let a few people know the gun was for sale and the problems it had. A friend of a friend from the range asked me if the gun was still for sale. I explained the problems again and he said that was fine, but he wanted some of the long OAL shells. I found out what he wanted to do was give the gun to his brother in law, who was always saying what a good shot and reloader he was, but it was 90% hot air. He had lost his guns in a fire so this was going to be a gift. He was going to show him how it shot with the long loads. I still had the boxes for Dies and molds, so he bought them too.
    I sure hope none of you on this board were the one who got that Marlin from your brother in law about 30 years ago. I have owned several other Marlins over the in both types of rifling and they all shot well except that one.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Colt Mustang .380 Pocketlite. If you haven't seen one, it's a very small pistol. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, but it's very concealable.

Boolit Master
    A few years back I had a BSA Interarms 243win that had about 9" groups at 100 yds and the best was 4 1/2 with certain ammo. Bore was clean Headspace was OK Tested OK for rifling engagement at about 0.060 jump. Nothing worked and I traded it off.
    Compare to a 243 Weatherby Vanguard that shoot 1" or better with almost anything that I put in it. Traded it off too and now regret it.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Wink

Ruger 77 "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" as it says on the barrel. And it's in .257 Roberts, which I really like.

At one time it seemed to want to shoot 87 grain factory, but then just seemed to change it's mind. After than, it wouldn't shoot into less than 3" at 100 yards, and that's pretty poor for a Roberts!

At one time a gunsmith friend of mine told me if I wanted it to shoot, all I needed to do was rebarrel! Shucks, the only reason I still have it the the roll engraving on the barrel.
    Regards,

WE

I had a Single Six that wasn't very accurate so I sold or traded it. Same for a Henry Golden Boy, not a terrible gun but it wasn't really up to snuff either.
    Keep moving forward!

my worst shooting gun was a pistol my brother and I decided to "modify" years ago. I think it was an Ivers Johnson. we took the grips off, and wrapped tape around the frame, then took a hacksaw and cut the barrel down from 6" to 3 ".
    Our proofing shot was at a garbage barrel about 25 yds away. Instead of hitting the barrel, we broke the window out in the bunkhouse that was literally at a 45 deg angle to the right. since we knew that couldn't have been caused from our gun, we tried it again only to hear another shell hit the bunkhouse.

thats when we learned about crowning a barrel. an electric drill and a little experimenting had the gun at least hitting the barrel at 25 yds.

Boolit Mold
    I had a 7x57 I couldn't hit a shotgun pattering board with it at 50 yards. I was luck enough to see some dirt kick up so I knew where it was shooting. Turned out the new sites someone had put on the old military gun were wayyyyyy off. I had new ones put on including a Williams peep site I can almost drive tack with it now, I love when a plan comes together.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Savage 10ML-II muzzleloader. Bought it because (in 2000...) it was rated to be "able" to shoot smokeless powder if one wanted to. No problem, don't want to shoot smokeless from a muzzlyloader. I burned up two pounds of pyrodex trying to get groups under a foot. Tried minnie balls, maxi balls, saboted bullets of various weights to no avail. Daggone shotgun primers this thing uses and it doesn't have an extractor, had to take a rawhide mallet out back to beat the bolt handle back because my hands couldn't take the pounding. Finally found a load of two pyrodex pellets and .44 saboted Hornady's would shoot 2" groups but was so frustrated with it it's sat for 8 years now, just don't trust it, my 25 year old Knight will put 'em in every time....

....then I find the Savage Shooter forum. Instead of being helpful like cast boolits these people are like in "LUUUUVV" with this gun and barbequed me for stating facts. Appears in the recent years Savage had changed the recommendations for this rifle and evidently it will shoot ONLY certain .45 cal bullets with MMP sabots and one of two rifle powders that I don't have and isn't worth a hoot with Pyrodex. The people over there gave me the suggestion to "shoot the recommended load (WASN'T a recommended load when I paid over $500 for this gun....) with the proper powder and quit wasting your time. Powder is available from Midway so buy some....blah, blah, blah" Uh-huh, I'm gonna pay $23 for a pound of powder and $35 in hazmat shipping fees, RIGHT.

It's a real nice rifle and I suppose if I got the right powder/bullet it might shoot very nice but, and I don't know if you'll understand this or not, but I have ZERO confidence in this gun now. Never had a muzzleloader or rifle so hard to work up a load for.....OK except for an old CVA percussion with a 1-66" twist that I couldn't hit anything with. No wonder Dan'l Boone and Davey Crockett and them boys was so skinny, they were starving to death!!!
    You are right about so-called expert comments on other forums .Not helpful at alThats why I like it here we are all human so we can own this rubbish with pride and honesty ["only accurate guns are interesting" blah,blah,blah ] Cheers,Gerry.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Ruger old model Blackhawk in .357.........for some reason it was the only revolver that I've owned that wouldn't shoot for sour apples...and the gun was basically brand new! Could have been the grip angle, sights or a dozen other "excuses" but I finally ended up trading it off. Too bad really....I was impressed with the Ruger lockwork.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine would be a Universal M-1 Carbine clone. It's a minute of washer / dryer at 100 yds.
    I bought it from a well known gunshow vendor who told me it didn't shoot very well.

He is well known for his honesty!

Andy