Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Having a major brain fart...RCBS shellholders and Lee dies??

Question Having a major brain fart...RCBS shellholders and Lee dies??

Can use Lee dies and RCBS shellholders?

I have never thought of this before as everything I have is RCBS...

Boolit Master
    Yes sir re bob

In Remembrance

There should be no problem at all in doing that, after all you set the die to the shell holder. The only time I ever had a problem mixing the two brands is when I tried to use LEE shell holders with an RCBS hand priming tool, the taper in the LEE shell holder doesn't match the taper of the cone in the priming tool so I bought RCBS shell holders for my hand primer.

Thanks guys!

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    There should be no problem at all in doing that, after all you set the die to the shell holder. The only time I ever had a problem mixing the two brands is when I tried to use LEE shell holders with an RCBS hand priming tool, the taper in the LEE shell holder doesn't match the taper of the cone in the priming tool so I bought RCBS shell holders for my hand primer.
    Same thing with the Co-Ax press- some shell holders won't allow them primer seater to pass.

Boolit Master

I use them interchangeably but once a die is set for a certain press or shellholder, it will not necessarily be the same for another press—you would think there would be standards with the industry but that isn’t so…

The example: I set up dies to use with my RCBS Rockchucker press and reload some test rounds. At my shooting range I have a Lee Breech Lock press that I use for further load development after the rounds loaded on the RCBS press are shot and evaluated. I must READJUST the dies again for use in the Lee press. It can be annoying, but I just load a dummy round and use it to reset the dies in another press…

Nothing easy, but if it’s worthwhile, that makes the struggle more acceptable…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master
    "Can use Lee dies and RCBS shellholders?"

No, no, no, don't do that! The shell holders will freeze up in horror and never work right again!

Okay, same as with dies, the functional dimensions of shell holders are all made to SAAMI specifications so they can be interchanged. And, like dies, there is a much variation between indivituals of the same brand as there is between brands. Or, stated another way, there's no difference due to brand.
    Last edited by 1hole; 10-10-2009 at 03:55 PM.

I have had trouble using Redding shell holders on RCBS equipment because the primer hole is a different dimension than the ram. However, I've never had a problem with dies and shellholders interfering.

That's not a bad question, though!!! If you always set your sizing die to "cam-over" then you would logically be concerned about the height of the shell holder.

At any rate, I've used Lee dies (in the calibers I load, anyway) with RCBS shell holders and not had a problem.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

I usually only buy Lee tools, and only online. I needed some extra shellholders so I could have 2 dies for the same cartridge set up in 2 different presses, but I didn't want to wait or pay shipping for 2 shellholders. I went to the local sporting goods store and got some RCBS shellholders. They have always worked fine with my Lee dies. What does drive me crazy is the way they are marked. I finally used my dremel to write the Lee shellholder numbers on the top of them so I could see what they were !
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Buddy
    I've never been able to figure out why different manufacturers use different numbers on their shellholders, either. So I just sold or gave away all my RCBS and Lyman Shell holders and replaced 'em with Lee. I figure it cost me all of ten bucks and a saved a lot of confusion and face palming. I load (at last count) 34 calibers so there are a pile of shell holders there.

Gerry N.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

shell holders

there actually is a small difference in brands.as some shell holders will do several shell sizes and others wont.there may be some in betweens.that fit better.
    I think pacific was the first to have shell holders like we use now.but yes it would be nice if all numbers matched.but most of what you have now is post WW2.so its relatively new.
    WILDCATT

True!

Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    there actually is a small difference in brands.as some shell holders will do several shell sizes and others wont.there may be some in betweens.that fit better.
    I think pacific was the first to have shell holders like we use now.but yes it would be nice if all numbers matched.but most of what you have now is post WW2.so its relatively new.
    My biggest problem has been with LEE shellholders not fitting in the RCBS rams.
    But I've also had problems with RCBS shellholders not being correct as well.
    I made(EXCEL) a crossreference chart for the major producers.
    FWIW
    Dave

I have had the problem with a Lee Shellholder not quite fitting into an RCBS press.
    I thought about making it fit, but I just got a RCBS shell holder instead.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

shell holders

shell holders not fitting may be a tolerance difference. a press slot on small side and shel holder on max side or opposite.
    delete this please moderater.
    Last edited by TAWILDCATT; 11-01-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    WILDCATT

shell holders

shell holders not fitting may be a tolerance difference. a press slot on small side and shell holder on max side or opposite.
    Last edited by TAWILDCATT; 11-01-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    shell holders not fitting may be a tolerance difference. a press slot on small side and shel holder on max side or opposite.
    It's called "Tolerance stacking". If you have a part in the large side of the tolerance window, and a mating part in the small side, sometimes you'll get parts that won't work with each other. It's more likely to happen the more parts there are in a machine. That is why it's good to keep things in the middle of the tolerance window.

Gerry N.

Boolit Master

If your buying Lee dies, they usually include a shell holder...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.