Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: sizing cast bullets

Boolit Bub

sizing cast bullets

How much smaller can I size a soft lead bullet than it comes out of the mould?I need to get it about .005 smaller

Boolit Master

A soft lead boolit will size that much in one pass. Shallow lube groves are a problem though, they tend to dissappear...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master

As noted it depends on the depthof the lube grooves. Prelubing the bullet prior to sizing helps a lot. I regularly size .315 bullets to 3.14 and lube them. Then I size them down in push through sizers to .309. They shoot fine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    An .005 reduction in one pass is not too much with conventional lube grooves is not too much, but it would be rare. Just what are you trying to do?
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Bub
    I'm casting paper patch bullet so no grease grooves but a nice long bullet that I'm going to use in a sabot with my muzzel loader

Boolit Master

Be carefull sizing LONG soft boolits too much in one pass as they may bend at the nose. You stated it was for a ML so that may not happen but check for it. Crooked boolits don't fly straight.

Larry

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the info.I'll give it a try,watching for what Larry mentioned.Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

If I were sizing a long, soft bullet a lot (.005" as a for instance) I would get a Lee Sizing push through sizing die. This will minimize sizing damage (should really eliminate it). Lee will make you a custom die if they don't have what you require as a standard.

FWIW
    Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    If I were sizing a long, soft bullet a lot (.005" as a for instance) I would get a Lee Sizing push through sizing die. This will minimize sizing damage (should really eliminate it). Lee will make you a custom die if they don't have what you require as a standard.

FWIW
    Dale53
    +1, and I would add the reason, if you don't use the Lee sizers, is they are nose first sizers. The piston pushes the boolit into the sizer from the base and the nose enters the sizer first.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again I'll order one from lee,I've got a couple of them now and no problems but I've not tried to size any this much before.