RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MCD ProductsRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite pistol cartridge?

Boolit Master
    .41 magnum and .41 GNR- or the 41/445- had .357, 44, 45 Colt and 454 and now for me .41 thankfully I have never had any problem with components and I shoot 99% cast HPs soft points --LWNGC -- and the deer, yotes and ground hogs do not care

I have a hard time deciding between the 45 Colt and .357 Magnum. I love 'em both, but when it's all said and done, I'd say the 45 Colt comes out on top. Mild to wild with a lot of lead.

But when I'm shooting .357's, I like to do it with this.....
    "Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."

45 colt and 454 casull.My F/A 454 is very accurate with any load tried in it.

I would say the 9mm first then the .357 The only reason the 357 is number 2 is because the 9mm is easy to clean and I am lazzzzzzzzzy

Boolit Master
    i would take the .41 mag lite loads and it is a ***** cat loaded up anything hit with it will think it was hit with a .44 mag or a hot .45. only problem is getting ammo. because ot that i have to go with the .38/357 i hold them in the same class as a .30-30 you can go into just about any mom and pop hardware store,or gun shop and get a box of shells.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to vote .44 Mag. I've shot more of it than any of the others I own (.357, .45 ACP, 9mm and .380) and it was the first I ever reloaded for. And now the first I've ever cast for.

I love .357 mag too but find it less pleasant to shoot than the .44 because the muzzle blast is more of an ear splitting ka-pow rather than the dull boom of the .44. Plus its recoil is more of a chop than the stiff push of the .44.

I'm also starting to really like .45 ACP. Fun to shoot, fun to load but my 1911 stopped working recently and I've not gotten it fixed yet.

I'm also new to 9MM but it isn't as much fun to reload as the above 3.

I've owned a .380 pocket pistol for several years but just recently did some loading for it. Those teeny cases and small powder charges make me feel like I'm assembling a pocket watch.

Boolit Mold
    .44 magnum, due to it's versatility. I can use it for light cowboy plinking on up to strong hunting loads. It doesn't hurt that it's also what I am best-equipped to reload. =-D

If I was tooled up to reload it, the same could be said of .45 Colt. However, not all guns designed for .45 Colt can handle the full range of potential that the cartridge is capable of. A learned person could use .45 Colt for any of the same applications one would want to use .44 magnum for though, I would imagine.

Hmmmmmmmmmm .44 MAG lol.

If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Man
    Revolvers, .44 Special

Semi-automatics, .45ACP

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Boolit Master

What Else?

.357 Mag!

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Bub

.475 Linebaugh

My would be the .475 Linebaugh followed by the 32 H&R. Which is be rechambered to .327 Federal Mag.
    Brett

Boolit Master
    .357Mag for me.

"N-frames shooting 14.5gr WW296 & SP Mag primers under any Lyman .357 calibre SWC of 158 - 172gr. I don't even shoot ' em w/ gas checks.
    This combo certainly makes " major calibre " at those shoots drawing such distintions.

I also like Skeeter's load of 8gr 4756 & SP primer under a nominal 158gr SWC.
    I use standard .357Mag brass, though... and not .38s.

4 -5in barrels. I shoot a customized M520 ( fixed sight N-frame ) fitted w/ a 4" full- bull barrel. Same balance as 5" M-27, but easier to carry conceled.

Regards,
    357Mag

There was a time I would have said 357 Magnum and I still think it is great, maybe the best all around. Thing is, I just don't need all around. I don't need a 100-yard medium game cartridge that doubles as a target gun, triples as a plinker, quadruples as a ccw piece and quintuplets as a hd piece. My "overall gun just has to be a casual target gun, an IDPA gun and a carry gun. For me, the caliber is 45ACP. 357 is good, great even, but for what I do, 45ACP is better, particularly when firing indoors. I have fired both indoors, give me the 45 any day!
    Last edited by lawboy; 08-30-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Boolit Master

45 colt I shoot a clone but I see no need to hotrod this cartridge anyway a standard load will do most all that I need it for. I suspect even a standard load with good cast bullets would be a good penetrator.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    44mag is the king of handgun rounds. Nothing is more versitile.
    dido!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    My Smith 657 in 41 mag followed by mty Ruger SP101 in 32 Mag.My AMT 45acp gov model is in there also

Boolit Buddy
    Heck, I'll ressurect this thread and chimne in.

revolver favorites are the 357/38 followed by the 44 mag.

Semi auto is the 45 acp and the 9mm.

I shoot a lot of 22, but the dang things are so small for my mitts to fumble with. Getting old, I guess.

I reload for the 9X18, 9X19, 45 acp, 380, 38, 357, 44 mag. I love em all.

I am glad I am not the only demented person here. I have seen the 30 mauser/ 7.62x25 mentioned a couple of times. this seems to be my favorite as its the one I play with the most. I can load a 60 gr jacketed to 2000fps +or a 125 gr to 1500 fps. I killed a nice sized doe last season with one of the lyman 31133 hp & wc820. From the CZ52 it will shoot a 3.5" group at 100 yrds (with a rest). I can plink all day with the C96 and not chase brass to far. My converted Destroyer carbine is fast becoming my favorite bolt gun.
    Last edited by autofix4u; 09-21-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: I cant spell

45 Colt in a ruger Black Hawk is mine. I have the convertable 45acp/45 colt. I shoot any thing from 185gn to 350gn and it get the job done. I use the 45 colt the most. Shoot grouse and rabbits with no problom, and if it walks on this earth it will kill it.
    45Nut has it right.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Boolit Master
    Dont listen to that Jr. fella, everybody knows the best boolit revoler is a Ruger single six in 22 ccm.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS