Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way get Alox off your hands?

Boolit Master

Best way get Alox off your hands?

Lee Alox is sure sticky stuff! After using it several times, I found that wiping as much off of my hands as possible with rag, and then rubbing in large amounts of hand lotion, followed by large amounts of hot soapy water gets the majority of it off. However, there is always some left on my hands to annoy me for quite a while.

Tonight I did something radical (I'm NOT endorsing this). I squirted about 1/4 teaspoon of Kroil onto my gummed up hands, rubbed it in good for about 15 seconds, rubbed everything off with a paper towel, and repeated one more time. My hands were Alox free! A short wash with some warm soapy water completed the process Please note that the Kroil can cautions against getting it on the skin though

Besides my first method, and my second, radical and probably dangerous method, does anyone have a good, safe way to efficiently get Alox off of the hands?

Thanks,

Randy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Lee Alox is sure sticky stuff! After using it several times, I found that wiping as much off of my hands as possible with rag, and then rubbing in large amounts of hand lotion, followed by large amounts of hot soapy water gets the majority of it off. However, there is always some left on my hands to annoy me for quite a while.

Tonight I did something radical (I'm NOT endorsing this). I squirted about 1/4 teaspoon of Kroil onto my gummed up hands, rubbed it in good for about 15 seconds, rubbed everything off with a paper towel, and repeated one more time. My hands were Alox free! A short wash with some warm soapy water completed the process Please note that the Kroil can cautions against getting it on the skin though

Besides my first method, and my second, radical and probably dangerous method, does anyone have a good, safe way to efficiently get Alox off of the hands?

Thanks,

Randy
    Try either mineral spirits or vasoline. Then wash thoroughly and use dish soap if you use vasoline to cut it's greasy feel.

Joe

Boolit Master

I'll bet Ed's Red would work well, followed by soap & water...
    Last edited by Echo; 09-19-2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Dawn dish soap followed by normal handsoap.

I use dawn for just about every annoying substance that sticks from workin' on the bench, the car or the yard. Good stuff. I even use it to get Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil off.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

I usually just wash my hands with soap, but I would bet lacquer thinner would cut it some, too. That's what I always reach for if soap doesn't do it.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Banned

GoJo Creme hand cleaner. Safe and takes 20 seconds.

Gear

Boolit Master

Why do you get on there in first place? I have used it for years and never had it on my hands. I dont touch the wet boolits with hands and when you heat it and apply its not sticky when dry. Harbor freight sells a LONG set of twisers that work good the set the boolits up

i wipe with a rag damp with mineral spirits before coming inside and doing the dish washing soap or gojo scrub down.

To avoid it in the first place when I have to handle anything with this alien snot on it, i keep a box of blue nitrile gloves in my shop. I can still handle the boolits fine with these and they hold up to the alox fine.

Boolit Master
    Never seen a problem. They are a little tacky but not enough for me to ever worry about getting so much on my fingers. And when I do I am always handling other boolits. When I stop I clean with hot water and soap.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Zep Cherry Bomb hand soap. We use it at work,. The dispenser doesn't empty the gallon bottle. I use a funnel in a 12 oz. water bottle, cut a corner off the gal. bottle and place it in the funnel. I have these small bottle everywhere. It cleans the hands so good that gf thinks I've been elsewhere instead of fishing or shooting.

For tough sticky things on my hands, I find lighter fluid removes gummy stuff. The naptha does a great job. Another liquid that removes gummy stuff is denatured alcohol.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

If I get any on my fingers I also find mineral spirits takes it right off. I use needle nose pliers as much as possible when handleing my boolits.

Boolit Master

Like cohutt, I wear rubber gloves my wife gets from the hospital where she works...
    No clean-up necessary...BCB

no one here thought to use rubber gloves?

Boolit Grand Master

I use the latex rubber gloves and that works fine for me. Lot easier to never get the stuff on my hands than it is to get off using chemicals.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

GoJo or FastOrange work very well.

Smile

Fast Orange, then soap & water.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

+1 on the gojo or fast orange

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Like cohutt, I wear rubber gloves my wife gets from the hospital where she works...
    Is she able to buy them at a discount because she works there?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I don't bother with the gloves as its just another added expense. No point, really. Just wash up afterwords and you're good to go.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb