Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: First WWs find

Boolit Master

Thumbs up First WWs find

Not being much of a lead-seeker in the past, I had usually just purchased my lead.

While talking with an employee, I mentioned wanting to contact some local tire shops looking for old WWs. He suggested I contact the auto technology guys (I work at a college) about the WWs.

I made the contact and the gentlemen I spoke with told me he has a bunch of old WWs that he wouldn't mind me taking off his hands. He asked what they were for, so I explained how I cast boolits. Turns out he's a hunter, bowman and bow fisherman. So he readily showed me to where they are. It was a pretty small pile from the looks, but free WWs are free WWs any day of the week.

So I come back at the end of my shift to pick up the WWs. I had my handy Home Depot bucket in tow. I started loading up the WWs and to my surprise what appeared to be a small pile ended up being around 70#s of clip-on WWs underneath a decaying box the pile was sitting on!

They're nice and clean, too.

Just thought I'd share. Happy casting, all.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range 257 Shooter's Avatar
    Ask and you shall receive. Great find. Enjoy casting them. Since you are in the sharing mood, you could share some with me.
    In God WE Trust!
    NRA Life Member
    "I'll keep my guns, my money and my freedom, you can keep the change!"

just remember to stay away from the shiney ones...they're zinc alloy (bad stuff)
    johnny

Boolit Master
    Well sometimes the shiney ones are just real new ones that get chunked into the bucket by mistake or a p/o person. I watched one of the tire techs at a tire shop today get upset with the balancer and throw several new shiney WWs in the used bucket and they doggoned sure weren't zink.
    My oldest son is a mech. there and I have to go back tommorow to see if I can p/u a couple of buckets of WWs....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Battery terminals are lead, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Yeah, but stay away from the lead plates inside a battery. Plenty of info here on the dangers of using battery lead, just do a search.

Boolit Master
    Went by yesterday evening and picked up two 5 gallon buckets of FREE WWs. When the youngest son and I unloaded them we weighed them and it came out to a total of 362 lbs.
    We haven't sorted them yet but I did see some lug nuts and other trash in there right on top. This bunch of WWs should add nicely to the pile for the next big melt.....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    hammerhead357: 362 lbs "should add nicely to the pile for the next big melt"? Dang....That would BE my next big melt. In fact my biggest!
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master
    Bill I tend to hold onto WWs until I have enough to warrant firing up my old gas fired bottom pour furnace. It holds 1000 lbs of linotype and about 1200 or so lbs of WWs. I want to have enough on hand to use it to the best of its ability. So I only fire it up when I have enough to fill it up. I like to have 1000 to 1200 lbs of WWs on hand when I do fire it up.
    I do have a smaller dutch oven melter that I use for some things and I guess it gets more use than the big furnace. But I do like to fire the big one up and be done with a large amount of lead at one time....Wes

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Yeah...I think my saucepan and hotplate would have a fit but good for you. Maybe someday.......
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"