RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Vietnam vets

Banned

You may be surprised. Lot of Vets go back. Gotta realize over 50% of the population does not even think or care to know about the war. They all want to make a living and welcome Americans.

When I was there and flew into Saigon, one of my partners siad the airport was just as it was when you guys left. 2 guards boarded the plain with AK's in hand checking our Passports. Took them, then hurded us to a Gov commie motel for the night while they checked us out.

Still didn't have the tourist thing all together...

As for the general population, I was met with open arms where ever we went. Cambodia too.

If I fought in the war (of which I was to young) I don't know if I would want to go back, but lots of guys do and were there.

Aren't the sorry SOB's that treated you guys so badly, pretty much running the show in our Gov today ..

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    I encourage all veterans to write their story down.
    A few years back, I was deeply involved in a forum put together to share information on satelite internet systems...but, there was an Off Topic section.

Several of us started telling War Stories, and you can look through the thread here.
    http://www.copperhead.cc/forums/showthread.php?t=6306

It's a long one...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Dan,

Your gratitude is very much appreciated, please know that.

But for some, writing stories down would do little more than tear a never-quite-healed scab off a deep, painful wound. Put simply, war isn't just hell. That's the romanticism of some officer's line made famous by Hollywood.

In reality, war just flat (expletive deleted) sucks. Period. There is not one goddamn romantic thing about it--and anyone who says differently does so because they ain't never been there.

It's taken me, personally, over 30 years to just now begin talking to non-vets about some of the stuff we did in the military--and that's the fluff and PG-13 stuff. Not sure I'll ever be able to--or want to--talk about the R-rated and X-rated stuff.

Writing it down is out of the question for me. Half the time I try and forget I ever put on a uniform. When I see what our nation and Congress and elected leaders are doing to the Constitution and those who believe in it and defend it, I try my absolute damndest to forget that I ever put on a uniform and put myself in harm's way.

You are absolutely right. Some people seem to do best if they talk about what happened, shrinks usually call them 'auditory processors' I think. Others do better just to put it out of their mind. I'm currently helping one of my patrol buddies (NSP) transcribe some stuff about his time in Iraq. He wants to give the whole story to his son some day, (son is about 4 years old right now). He tried writing it himself but couldn't do it, it's easier for him to talk about it and then someone else types it up. And you are right, there is no way as some one who has never served that I can ever fully comprehend what he went through. I just don't want veterans to think that nobody wants to hear what they have to say.
    Some where between here and there.....

Banned

Banned

I've got a huge photo album of all over the country, and when I came back I showed an old music buddy of mine that I had known for some 25 years. He broked down while flipping through the album and said he was a chopper medic.

Only his closest family knew he served in the war as he never told anyone.

Recluse, you might be surprised.

I didn't want to write about it, either. But my wife entered me in a novel-writing contest and said to try. The crux of the contest is that you had to write a complete novel in 30 days - no easy task. But like the baloot-eating driver described above, it shot out of me in a torrent. I wrote that first book in 15 days flat. Honest. It not only was a winner, but is now used as a HISTORY textbook at Appalachian State U. Amazing for something that is supposed to be fiction.

By the time I finished the second - and MUCH longer - book, my wife says I was a changed man. The dreams are pretty much gone, I don't get as testy as I sometimes did, and I'm much more laid back, she says. I think she's right.

Right now, I'm writing the whole story of that year and will have it printed for my grandkids to read someday - likely after I'm gone. It feels good.

Banned

My buddy had these Vampire teeth, and he would put them in from time to time for shock value. Funny stuff.

Here is shot I took of some kids in Cambodia as we were waiting for aircraft.
    Some of the kids figured it out, but it scared the heck out of the little girl covering her mouth.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have become friends with some Vietnamese "boat people" who managed to make it to the U.S. I wish we all had the feeling and patriotism for this country that they exhibit on a daily basis, at PTA, political, 4th of July, religious and every other gathering of any kind.
    And I always have loved the foods of S.E. Asia--- Viet Nam, Thailand, P.I., Indonesia, Malay, and India.

Banned

This shot caught my eye and was interesting as It was located in an extremely remote, dirt poor province village in NE Cambodia. The house was all teak with a tile roof (very rare), with the little girl inside dressed like a princess- looking boored and wondering what the heck we were doing.

Still even at that time (97), there were Kmere Rouge hold outs from the 70's and they had just came in and robbed this village for food and supplies the day before.

"the million dollar experience you wouldn't give a penny to do it again" "F@#$ it. It don't mean nuthin. Drive on." I still remember what happened when the jet's engines were shut down at Tan San Knut when I came in country (temp went up about 40 degrees - at about seven am.). And the smell when the doors opened.
    Last edited by leftiye; 08-29-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

You guys have my heart felt appreaciation and respect for the hell you went through, so I could sit at home watch TV and go to grade school.
    I mean no offence an not trying to brag because I went there. It just is what it is.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 08-30-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Boolit Master

I just read every post in this thread. Our entire base smelled like that stuff around noon every day. Those were different days, weren't they guys??
    I was in the hospital Memorial Day last year and got talking to one of the nurses. She says "Oh, you were in the military? Well thank you, she says. And I think I had a funny look on my face. The next day before I left, I told her - you know, in forty years you are the only person that ever said thank you. Then she had that funny look on her face..... Mike

Boolit Master
    I started writing about my four-years, so the grandkids would understand my reasons for enlisting and volunteering to go to Viet Nam. I didn't get past basic training before I came to the realization that, regardless of my desire to do the project, God didn't give me the talent to be much in the way of a wordsmith. I need to get it done, though. Might make a Winter's project...

Where I live, whether they were boat people or had sponsors, once they got here they quickly became responsible citizens of their communities. Many started businesses, while others were absorbed into the local fishing industry. Their kids performed well in school. Unlike other immigrants, they gladly learned the language and became assimilated. Nor did they make use of social welfare programs.

We all lost part of our youth, but we matured in ways that we wouldn't have, otherwise. I have no desire to return for a visit, but given the same set of circumstances, I'd gladly make the same decisions. I often think of those days. I've no regrets.

I understand and deeply appreciate the feelings of those who would rather not bring up old memories. I didn't walk in their shoes. They have my deepest empathy and eternal gratitude.

I'd like to extend my personal thanks to all the Veterans, not just the Vietnam Vets of the United States that gave there all for my freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

I joined in 79 out of high school and ended up with the 2d ACR. There were still quite a few Nam vets in at that time. They for the most part were not busting your balls about boots not being polished, haircuts, or any of the chicken sh-t stuff. If you were good at your job acted like you had a little sense and proved to be a stand up guy they took care of you, even if it meant pissing of a few "butter bars". Some of older NCO's would tell stories some times, mostly just talking about what had gone down. Usually when something happened that would trigger the memory. You guys have my utmost respect and it was an honor serving with those that I knew.

That was a most excellent first post, Finster. Crisp salute - from an oak leaf.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, the coming home was the toughest..

In early '77 with a mini-14 in hand at 40 yds. I had the opportunity to nail Hanoi Jane.. did not do it.. tough decision, but we are better than her.

Gen. (Lt. Col.) Moore has been back a couple of times & met with the commanders that opposed us in the Ia Drang & embraced them as brothers in arms.. I can understand that, but personally have no desire to go back.

We were mostly young guys just serving their country as we thought we should, but I saw many acts of courage & was fortunate to have known & still keep a bit of contact with some great fellow Troopers.

Sorry to have lost Gen. Kinnard & Ed Freeman (MOH) in the last year..
    First in Last Out!

I would personally like to thank all Vets for there service. I was born some years after the war but my father was a pilot over there. He doesn't talk about it much. He's got a couple funny stories of the lighter side of things. But for being in country for 2 tours a hand full of stories can't even scratch the surface of what must have been going on over there. The one thing he does have are hundreds of pictures he took while over there. I've never been to SE Asia but I have to say it LOOKS like some beautiful countryside over there. It's just a shame that so many people had to experience it in such a profoundly bad way.

At any rate I would like to again thank all servicemen.

Thank you.

Boolit Master
    so, only two of you guys are willing to admit to drawing " Burning Detail" huh? I was in Chu Lai, and later Da Nang in Ranger Companies, and we always ponied up a buck each month and paid the dinks to do it. They burned every day, and yes, the smell is one not every forgotten.

Rich
    G/Co 75th Inf (abn)
    Last edited by waksupi; 08-30-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: profanity

Yuh ain't supposed to stand in the smoke! Fer criss's sake! I done it too, it weren't that bad - if you didn't stand in the smoke. Talk about pollution!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!