Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Widener's Has Wolf Primers

Boolit Buddy

Widener's Has Wolf Primers

As of 2:00 p.m. CDT, 7/14/09, Widener's has Wolf Primers

Wow...the price sure is different than a year ago.

SP $132/5000
    LP $135/5000

Weren't these like $89/5000 last summer?

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    demand has changed - supply and demand is the key here

Demand has been severe for about six months and supply has been wiped out, hence the price change. Still a bargain compared to the prices on other brands.

Regards,

Dave

Banned

they announced a 20-25% increase in price for the wolf's some time ago i have been expecting it once they finished their intro.

But Powder Valley will have WOLF primers in on the 15th which is only a few hours away at a cheaper price. It would work out to $127.50 per 5000.

I know that is more expensive than CCI or Winchester or Fed or Remington primers but that is the past which for myself is sad to say.

So the WOLF Primers is still a good deal when you compair prices to the others. But they do have a harder primer shell which takes a harder hammer strike.

And I would like to ask what might be a dumb question lol. I have read that you can sub a Small Rifle primer for a Small Pistol Primer. But is the standard rifle primer as good as a Magnum Small Pistol primer?
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

"Weren't these like $89/5000 last summer? " Three or four months ago.
    Charter Member #148

This is what they say on the Powder Valley Web Site about WOLF Primers.

We are due to receive a primer shipment from Wolf on July 15. Wolf has provided us with a list of what items we will receive. Based on this information all customers who have a backorder dating June 30 or before should be shipped within one week of Powder Valley receiving the primers. Wolf had a 25% price increase on their primers. All primers will be shipped at the new price.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    But they do have a harder primer shell which takes a harder hammer strike.

And I would like to ask what might be a dumb question lol. I have read that you can sub a Small Rifle primer for a Small Pistol Primer. But is the standard rifle primer as good as a Magnum Small Pistol primer?

I hear this all the time so it must be valid.

Aren't these made for civilian applications with a reputation to establish? I ask because I have been using Wolf pistols for a few months and you can't prove it by me. Coarse they had 3 or 4 months to cure out and dry well acclimating to my humidity levels. Fresh primers always have more risk of moisture in them no matter what the brand.

Never a misfire so far. But I have guns with very little end play too. Even my 625s, that are about as light as I have ever used for hammer fall, go bang. Appearance under pressure seems about like WW to me. Competitive groups, but I am using AR brass too.

Don't use the small rifle variety, so I can't answer your question there. But wouldn't the rifle cup be even thicker / harder than the pistol primer if this is an issue? Magnum pistol primers are noticeably HOTTER than standard pistol too. I would say hotter than anything else I have used in awhile. So you may not need a small rifle primer.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Amazing! They still have some today.

Sinclair has Sellier and Bellot Large & Small Rifle Primers. They sell for match primer price but maybe they're good? At least they aren't Russian. I bought CCI benchrest LR primers last week from Powder Valley. They had them for a day.

Also noticed Sinclair has 8lb jugs of H-Varget. Haven't seen any of that for a while. I couldn't get any this summer so picked up some Benchmark for 53 grain 22's. Haven't given it a test yet to see how I like it. All this component scarcity has forced me to test new to me stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Got 5K of Wolfe last year I loaded some into 218 Bee brass. 7 of 10 were duds. I broke the duds down and for kicks and curiosity put the primers into 223 brass hoping that the problem was the firing pin not the primer. No luck as they still did not fire. Well 4.900 primers sitting on the wall and your guess is as good as mine as to how many more are duds. This is NOT the first time their SR primers have done this to me.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

This thread certainly makes up my mind as to whether or not I'll buy a bunch of Wolf primers--NOT!

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I've shot over 10,000 wolf primers and never a dud. Excellant consistancy too. I hope Grafs gets some too- I've got a backorder with them for wolfs.

Boolit Buddy
    Wolf LP primers at Wideners were $97/5K in Feb. Now they are $135/5K. That's a 38% increase in 5 months, and quite a bit more than the announced 20 - 25% increase. This begs the question, "will the price drop to more reasonable levels once the buying frenzy subsides"? My guess is not by much.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -Gerald Ford

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Got 5K of Wolfe last year I loaded some into 218 Bee brass. 7 of 10 were duds. I broke the duds down and for kicks and curiosity put the primers into 223 brass hoping that the problem was the firing pin not the primer. No luck as they still did not fire. Well 4.900 primers sitting on the wall and your guess is as good as mine as to how many more are duds. This is NOT the first time their SR primers have done this to me.

wolf makes three different sr primers...what did you buy ?

i'll take them.

i sold over 300,000 wolf primers in dec/jan.

i run a biz...and not a single customer has complained about thier primers not working.

personally, if you have 7 duds out ot 10...its the operator, not the primer.

no one can stay in biz with a 70% failure rate.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Banned
    I've been using Wolfs for 8 years now. I've never had a misfire. About the only thing I've noticed is this: Sometimes I'll drop a primer on the floor. Well I noticed often with the Wolf primer the anvil will pop out. I've never had that happen with any other brand. This only occurs with large primers...rifle/pistol.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot Wolf 22 match ammo, (made in Germany) and 4 years ago it was $24 a brick of 500. Now it's double that, if you can find it. Just like everthing else.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

The only thing I have used thus far from WOLF is there Large Rifle Primer. And I have found they are much harder to set off than the Federal 210's I have been using. I know this as I have a light hammer spring in my 1895 Marlin GS in 45-70 and would have to strike the Wolf primer 2 times for them to fire. But my Fed 210's fire without a hitch.

So I have to decide if I wish to make the hammer spring stronger for the Wolf or just keep it the way it is and just use Fed 210's

Boolit Master

Federal primers are the most sensitive of all so your claim makes sense.

This is why its generally agreed not to use Federal's in semi auto rifles like the AR, M1 or M1A. I use Federal's in my bolt guns and something else in my semi's.

I use CCI #34 mil spec in my NM M1 7.62 because the 7.62 Garand is the slam fire king of all time. I use CCI BR2 in my 30-06 M1's and my NM M1A. I have been using CCI BR4 in my NM AR but recently bought Wolf SRM as I couldn't find any BR4's for a LONG time. Haven't fired many yet but so far so good.

I did buy a lot of Wolf LR and LRM because a friend of mine that does some pretty heavy in depth testing told me the Wolf is the best large rifle primer bar none. I have a 6.5-284 1000 yard rifle and a 6XC 600 yard rifle on the way and my friend told me in no uncertain terms that I wanted Wolf primers for them.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    This thread certainly makes up my mind as to whether or not I'll buy a bunch of Wolf primers--NOT!
    I'm not a fan of Wolf primers, either. I've had sporadic luck with them (small/large pistol) back when they first hit the market.

Some folks have told me they've "improved." I'll take their word for it.

For the price increase they've laid on themselves, they'd better have improved to the point of being perfect.

Boolit Master

Know quote a few who use Wolf SRM in AR's. All are satisfied(including me). Bang every time. Don't see why other sizes would be any different, but haven't been there yet !