WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye Powder

Boolit Master

Bullseye Powder

I just came across an unopened old 3 pound can of bullseye. It's in a red hercules can with letters ICC-13 on the bottom. The lot number is not legible. I am seeking to learn the approximate date this powder was manufactured. I did come across an ole post started by smokemjoe with a 3# yellow can but no answer as to approximate manufacture date. anyone know?

Boolit Grand Master

If it has been stored in a reasonable temperature, it will be just fine up to about 100 yrs.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the reply Bill. I have no doubt the powder is just as good today, as it was when it was manufactured - I'm just curious as to when Bullseye began use of and/or stopped the use of this type of container.

Boolit Grand Master

They were using the cardboard containers with the pull up spouts in the 80s. The cardboard containers with a plug type stop for more than a few years before that. Tin cans go back to the 60s...

Smile

I hated those pull-up spouts!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I hated those pull-up spouts!
    I still do!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I've still got one of those square, squatty cans of BE with the seal still on it. I guess I'll get around to using one of the days after all those cardboard cans with the pull up spouts and all used up...

Boolit Mold
    The pull up spouts were still better than the flat can with a plug on top, just used one up with Blue Dot in it last night. It had one load for AA on the can everthing else was paper. I'm 39 yrs old and most of my powder almost 300#'s I collected in the last 20 years is older than me. But the good news since I'm layed off I get a chance to burn alot more of it and am loving it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Finished up a round cardboard pull spout Hercules Bullseye container last year. It was in a box of odd and ends reloading stuff. About 4.5 oz. in it. It worked fine. Have some Herco in the same type of container.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Just loaded up some 9mm JHP's using HS-5 in the squarish metal can with the metal stopper I bought in the 70"s! No vinegar smell, so I expect it to go BOOM!!

Winelover

Winelover you might should send that bullseye to me for proper disposal ill get rid of it 4.5 grs at a time

Makes note to self dont post on forum when im too tired to think. That post should have been to ole 5 hole group.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those round yellow metal BullsEye cans that I bought from a guy several years ago for $30 or so. I still have almost 2 pounds left.
    It's stenciled on the can in black BullsEye Lot 463
    I dunno how old it is, but it still works good. I really don't like the pop up top, either.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Powder that old. Best not to use it. Tell you what though. If you send it to me I'll make sure it's properly disposed of.

Boolit Master

I take it you guys just don't use a lot of Bullseye. Go ahead, ship it to me. I'll burn it up faster...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Oh, but I got a new mold for my .45 acp, and it seems to cause the powder to disappear magically....Sometimes the .45 Colt cartridges do the same thing... Must be the "Twilight Zone" factor....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

Billseye powder

I found a tin of Bullesye that I must have bought back in the 60's or 70's a couple of weeks ago in a closet in the gun room. It still works just like it always did. I always prefered to use Herco for my 41's and 44's...anyone got a spare 25 pound keg of that stuff available?

Big Dale

Boolit Master
    I have a metal keg of Herco (maybe 1lb left) with the metal spring cap. Push it in the middle and the claws release, squeeze the side claws and they grip the spout again. Don't know how old that is, but I'll keep the keg when it's empty.

Boolit Mold
    I started reloading in 1967 and I recently finished off a yellow can of DuPont 4198 I bought that first summer of reloading. It still shot very tight groups. I basically kept it in a dry closet all these years. Anybody in Western New York want to buy a lot of linotype? A friend is getting out of casting and has a bunch. WW's work fine for me; lino blends I've tried were too hard for my purposes.
    Milt Farrow "I'm not sure what it is, but it uses a lot of ammo."

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    I've still got one of those square, squatty cans of BE with the seal still on it. I guess I'll get around to using one of the days after all those cardboard cans with the pull up spouts and all used up...
    I'm still using mine I am 47 and don't remember dad buying any powder so mine is at least around 40 years old. still makes my 1911 hit the tin ring
    Μολὼν λαβέ