RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had only one powder

Boolit Mold

If you had only one powder

Of all the rifle powders available today,if I was limited to just ONE to load the following cast loads, which would be my best bet??
    7mm Mauser
    3o-o6
    45-70
    444 Marlin
    3o-4o Krag
    and maybe 6.5x55 Swede
    Only need 100yards accuracy, low velocity, maybe some with gas checks, no other criteria are particularly important.
    I happen to have a bunch of surplus WC860, is it any good for stuff like this?
    Many thanks, guys.

IMR 3031 would be my choice steve k

Boolit Grand Master
    IMR - 4198 for the calibers you've listed.

Ben

Boolit Master

Red Dot or Unique. If you shoot a gas-checked bullet there's no problem with shooting the pistol/shotgun powder with lead. low powder weight usually gives you several hundred shots per pound of powder.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    +1 for Reddot. I use it fot .270,30-06,12ga,45ACP,38spl.

Boolit Grand Master

Unique. 10 -15 gr will get you just what you asked for, very low cost per shot, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus
    Vihtavuori N350 or N110 for little bit more poke.

WC860 is a powder I have no experience of but from what I read here it is a slow powder, probably better for higher velocity loads.

I'd go for something a bit faster for the preformance parameters you've defined.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Sr-4759
    Last edited by Andy_P; 07-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    IMR 3031 or W748

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    A 200 gr lee gc out of my 24' barrelled 30/06 gets 2200 fps with as much WC 860 as I can get in it about 63 to 65 grs and a mag cap . I does shoot a little dirty but not to bad . It has shot about MOA out of 3 rifles . As far as the other powder of choice H-4895 it is very versatile .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
    Sr4759
    SR 7641

Clone of SR 4759

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Shiloh, SR7641, since you mentioned it, works very well in single shot competition in several calibers 25 through 32. I had a report from an attendee at last weekend's shoot in Mena, Arkansas, that was very favorable. I've been using it in 32-40 with a 200 grain breech seat with acceptable results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4wd View Post
    Of all the rifle powders available today,if I was limited to just ONE to load the following cast loads, which would be my best bet??
    7mm Mauser
    3o-o6
    45-70
    444 Marlin
    3o-4o Krag
    and maybe 6.5x55 Swede
    Only need 100yards accuracy, low velocity, maybe some with gas checks, no other criteria are particularly important.
    I happen to have a bunch of surplus WC860, is it any good for stuff like this?
    Many thanks, guys.
    Red dot, 13 grain "The Load". Hands down

Boolit Mold
    I am partial to 2400, i use it for my 30-06, 30-40, 7mm, and other military rounds. I don't know anything about the 444 Marlin, and I only use Holy Black in my 45-70

Boolit Grand Master

bob4wd

Given your criteria of; "[B] Only need 100yards accuracy, low velocity, maybe some with gas checks, no other criteria are particularly important.[/B"]

Most of the choices given fit that criteria with 4759 probably being the best suited for all the cartridges listed. It would be my choice given your limited criteria with Unique being the second choice if PB cast bullets are used.

Larry Gibson

Banned

for your criteria i am thinking 2400 would be fairly ideal followed by the unique for the 45-70 and 444.

Boolit Master

Talking

My vote goes for AA5744.

Boolit Mold

Smile

And the winner is----------------- Unique! Or maybe 2400! But since I've got a pound or two of unique in the cabinet, it's what I'll try first. Thanks all for the good inputs, although I've got to say I would never have even considered using a shotgun/pistol powder for these fairly large rifle cases.
    Which leads to another question: if red Dot and Unique are usable in these cases, why couldn't such pistol powders as Accurate 2or 5 or Win231 or even Bullseye or even Titegroup work? Why not?? (as you might guess, I've lots of these on hand, too)

Boolit Grand Master

The faster powders DO work, but they build pressure really fast, so they need to be kept
    very low to stay safe in these large cases. Unique and Red Dot have LOTS of history of
    being safe and not doing anything weird (other than shooting AMAZINGLY accurately) in
    just about any of the 20th century milsurp bottleneck cartridges in the 10 gr Unique load. You
    can add a bit more, up to around 15 gr in most of the larger cases like .30-06 and .45-70
    and .30-40, etc. I am not personally as familiar with the RDot loads, but they
    are well established as safe and accurate. Search the web for cast load data by
    E. H. Harrison, who did a lot of wonderful work with Red Dot and cast for the NRA, it is
    commonly on various sites out there, and I'm certain somewhere on this site, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've been really happy using Unique or even Universal Clays in those rounds and either of them would be my choice . I used to use Red Dot but I don't use the shotgun much anymore so I don't have any around .

Hmmmm...... I do have several pounds of International Clays I could try

My 1903 seems to love any lead bullet near two hundred grains and only uses around eleven grains of Unique to drive them into small groups . Might be a lot of drop at a hundred yards though .

Jack