Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Only 1 Handgun? One Rifle?

Boolit Master

Smith&Wesson Shorty .45 for a short gun. Light weight, stupid accurate and dead reliable. Eight rounds of goodness.

CZ 527 bolt gun in 7.62x39. Incredibly versitle weapon.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Lord, and current events willing. S&W Model 27, .357 Magnum and Ruger 77/Lilja .35 Whelen. Ammo flexibility through the magic of .35 caliber and cast boolits. Should things turn ugly, Colt Woodsman Sport and Ruger Mini 14 Ranch, .223 Rem.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Buddy
    The same answer I always give:

1911 .45 ACP

AR15 M4 style

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    Well, I guess I'm an older fart than Pat, and I'll stick with my revolver, too. At least I come home from the range with all my brass (unlike you young buck auto-shooters). I'll take my S&W M-57 .41 Mag., but I'd like to have the barrel cut down from 6" to 5".

And I'll take my Rem. M-700 stainless synthetic in 30-06. Given the right bullet or boolit and load it will do anything required of a rifle on this continent.

Regards,

Stew
    OK OK, I will admit that after I had my back surgery I've been shooting my wheel guns more to avoid leaning over to reclaim my brass. I even bought one of those fold up dollies to tote my gear around, and I'm a young 40, but I was called an old bastard once!
    BTW: My 70 year old step father I shoot with is in better shape then me!!!!!!!!!
    --------------
    Ron

Boolit Master

Since it wasn't stated under what conditions we would make our decision, I will choose from the enjoyment standpoint. My blackhawk .45 Colt and the 30-40 Krag would stay. If the choice was when the bleep hits the fan it would be something I could make from a 30-06 case, maybe 7x57 and a .45 Auto...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

i i guess iwould keep the 45 auto for the handgun .
    and a 270 winchester pre 64 if push to shove .
    altho i would like one of the 22 pistol and rifle

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    You never will have the right gun at the right time, just as you cannot possibly have enough security (money). That is why it is extremely important to have the Lord on your side at all times. ... felix
    My bible,prayer book,1911,garand. And hope for the rapture before all I could have is the my last two guns.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    As was already mentioned, no conditions were specified......so let's assume the worst. Catastrophe, hurricane, terrorists, riots, BO's second term,etc. You will NOT be able to give your guns constant, adoring attention and replenishment of ammo and parts are concerns.

You're limited to one handgun so something you can feed with standard ammo is called for. Anything exotic can make you look foolish (and empty) after awhile. Many good calls have been made so far....personally I'll take my S&W 65. It's been with me for many years to some rather wild places and alway goes "bang", especially with my handloads....either .38 special or .357. Ammo is widely available, even in bad times. My .45 auto is in the same category......just depends on which I grab first.

Rifle: Okay, I'm going to be the odd duck here, but it's based on over 40 years of collecting and shooting just about everything. I have quite a few rifles to choose from, but a bolt gun would probably win out over a semi auto such as an SKS, AK or AR, assuming we're not going into combat. Why? Simplicity. And which bolt gun would I choose? Brace yourself.....

A Japanese type 99, 7.7mm Arisaka......

Fired conservatively, my ammo would last a long time. A Lee hand press and a couple pounds of components round out the list. The rifle itself is dirt simple (I think the bolt has four parts), overly rugged and has a chromed bore. I can strip/clean it quickly and even fabricate parts if need be. As much as I'd like to pack a 1903 out of national pride, I don't need target grade sights. Just durability, reasonable power and accuracy. The Arisaka was designed to have the crap beat out of it and still shoot. Yeah, they're ugly to some folks but after studying them for quite a few years you become impressed......the original designers already answered the question.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 06-18-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

BLR in 308, 45 Blackhawk, mine is a dual cylinder but I could live with the Long Colt only if pushed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I've read so many of these "if you could only have one or two guns, what would they be?" and my answers have never changed.

For the handgun, hands-down it would be a six-inch Smith & Wesson Model 686. The .357 Magnum round is tested and proven beyond anyone's doubt whatsoever. Six inches is long enough to hunt at short ranges, yet still concealable via a shoulder rig. The stainless alleviates worries of rust and pitting prematurely and broadens the spectrum of cleaning solutions and techniques. The L-frame is large enough to handle a full and steady diet of magnums with no adverse affects for a long time.

For the rifle, hands down it would be a Winchester 94 in 30-30. And THAT one doesn't even need explanation.

Right calibers, wrong guns.

I would choose my 6" SS Ruger GP-100. More accurate than a Ruger ought to be and tough as nails.

For my rifle I would have to take my 1968 336C. 'Nuf said.

Pistol - "88 Magnum, it shoots through schools"
    Rifle - "Phased plasma rifle, in the 40-watt range"

Sorry, had to throw out a couple movie quotes for fun.

Seriously, not knowing the circumstances, I'd want the following based solely off my favorites:
    Pistol - .45 H&K USP
    Rifle - M1A or FAL (like my .308's)

If it was a survival situation, I'd want a .357 revolver and a .12ga shotgun. The shotgun would be versatile enough for hunting of fowl, four legged creatures and works to protect you from two legged animals.

In Remembrance

Since I seem to be an older "old Fart" than you other young "old farts" I would have to say my 2 picks would be my 5 1/2" Ruger BH in .45 LC that I worked over and one of my `17 Enfields in .338/06. Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger Mark ll, 22 lr
    T/C Contender carbine 223 Rem

Boolit Master
    i cant believe you can ALL be so wrong...

handgun would be the mod 57 41 mag

long gun the mod 700 30-06

cuz thats what i have faith in.

Boolit Grand Master
    Answering roll call of Old Farts Club, "Here, Sir!"

My .45 Colt Judge for the bedside, My old .bolt action .30-06 to feed my family and if you don't mind, may I keep my LeFever double 12? It's a family heirloom and nothing can escape that left hand barrel.

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

A Marlin 1894, and a nice Ruger (read that big, probably a Super Red Hawk) both chambered in the same caliber. If not a Super Red Hawk and the 1894 in .44 Mag, some other service revolver in at LEAST .357 Magnum and the 1894 in the same caliber.
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

In Remebrance

Since youse guys are adding the 22 then I'll add my 22 Kit Gun to my list. Or maybe better ,my Savage 22/410.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Since I seem to be an older "old Fart" than you other young "old farts" I would have to say my 2 picks would be my 5 1/2" Ruger BH in .45 LC that I worked over and one of my `17 Enfields in .338/06. Robert
    Looks like it's turned into an "old fart"ing contest!

Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    i cant believe you can ALL be so wrong...
    handgun would be the mod 57 41 mag
    long gun the mod 700 30-06
    cuz thats what i have faith in.
    And some folks don't read all the other posts before spouting off. You're in good company, young man. And your justification is absolutely correct. Maybe we can share ammo.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Buddy
    Ooooh, I hate this game. Makes me queasy just to contemplate........as of this morning, I'd go with the slicked Ruger SP101 in .357 (extremely concealable and capable) and the Anschutz bolt .22 with Leupold and open sights. Killing deer around here with a .22 is no big feat. Now, by later this afternoon I may decide a big centerfire is the way to go.......

Boolit Master
    HK91 (.308) & Sig P226 (9mm)
    ph4570