Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: need some K31 loads....

Boolit Man

need some K31 loads....

yes i did a search and got a few ideas. i have several CB to load but dont have too much data. post your pet loads for me. i could really use data for H4895 and unique.

i have been using a 115gn FN cast lead bullet .313 over 9 gn of unique. it shoots very well at 50 yards.

thanks for the help

rm

Boolit Master
    Here is a few loads I see in my book that did well

Using Lyman 165 SW sized 308 with 50/50 lube

Linotype and 35.6 grains 4895 from Bartlett I can get about 1.5" groups
    16.8-17.8 2400 with WW did well. Cases didn;t seal real well
    26.5 4198 1.7 inch group again with Lino

These were at 100 yards
    Last edited by mto7464; 06-19-2009 at 09:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee C312-155 or C309-160 and 10 gr. Unique. Darn accurate loads in both my K31's.

charlie

Boolit Grand Master

Lym 311413 over 10 gr Unique shoots great in my K31. Of course, 10 gr of Unique
    usually shoots great in darn near anything with darn near any boolit.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

twenty grains of 2400 with a 170 to 180 grain cast bullet. This ones good enough to hunt whitetails with.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Man
    this is one i found thats for youth 100m competition.

( its for a jacketed bullet tho )

150gn over 30gn H4895. thats a nice load.

thanks for the replies.

rm

Boolit Master
    MtGun44, 10 grains of Unique just shot extremely well in my 1943 K-31. Boolits were water quenched wheel weights that dropped from an RCBS 30-180-SP that at .309" and were run through a .310" luber, weighing about 190 grains.

The same load in my 1901 6.5 Swede is exceptionally accurate, as well.

Thrifty and accurate loads, to be sure.

Boolit Master
    It is early and only one cup of java, don't take this wrong gents.
    All the loads listed above only a couple mention any range/distance.
    I am kinda sorta back on the K31 wagon. I have several loads I like and that shoot well out to 150. At 200 the windage goes crazy. I did read a bit more the last week and see that guys are having better luck at speeds of 2000fps.
    The new game I ran across is shot at 300, which in turn would make the windage even worse.
    I guess my question is have any of you shot CB's in the K31 to see if speed will help.
    Changing sights is not an option unless one of you has a St Marie you would sell for cheap. Mojo is out, as I have access to a rifle with one on it.
    Always seemed kind of goofy to me you will see some type of milsurp match some place, show up, and the first thing you notice is they have been "doctored"up a lot. NOT as issued.............ends up another equipment race IMHO.
    jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, this doesn't really fit your criteria, but it is my pet load. Don't know why it shoots so good. All the conventional wisdom would indicate it's too light a bullet, but for me it's like a laser and a good game getter, too.

Sierra 125 spitzer, 44.0 grains 3031 ~ 7.5 Swiss

Because it's just a 125, I wouldn't go after anything large, but young eastern whitetail, fox, coyotte, and the ever present woodchuck, ..........oh my. For the recoil shy, ie. beginners, walking wounded, etc. this is a great combo. FWIW IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    All the conventional wisdom would indicate it's too light a bullet,
    And what "conventional wisdom" would that be? Light bullet, low recoil ammunition for the short range stages of the National Match Course is commonly used for the advantages of less displacement from your natural point of aim, and faster recovery time. I have acquaintences that shoot 110 grain HP's at 200 yards with the K31 (also with the M1 and M1A) very effectively. I have not tried the 110's yet, but the 125 grain load has been very sucessful.

Also, 160 to 200 grain cast loads at 1400 to 1700 FPS are capable of cleaning targets at 200 yards if the load is reliable and the shooter is capable. These are the equivalent of the old time scheutzen loads that were fired at 200 yards on the German ring target, standing on your hind legs. To use these loads successfully, you need to hold hard, watch the wind and adjust or hold off accordingly, and follow through. Remember that we used to shoot .22 rimfire routinely at 200 yards on the A-21 target.

Keep up the good work!

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Grand Master

Great to hear your good results.

Another 10 gr Unique success story. Anybody starting out shooting milsurp with cast
    needs to give this a try.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

k-31 loads

My k-31 fell in love with 311299,water dropped,gaschecked,speedgreen lube and sized .309.

this load shot a little right ,but,a ragged hole,at 50 yards,with a flyer,or it would have been a nice group.funny,though as it did it twice(my flinch must be getting consistant)

cronographed at 1864 fps averaged.

h4895 and 30 grains at that.

federal large rifle primers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bob S,
    My conventional wisdom aside, we're talking apples and oranges here. I came at the question with a hunter's view. Longer ranges and lighter bullets start to perform poorly on game. There is a sliding scale of analysis depending on speed and bullet construction vis-a-vis the type of animal persued and distance involved. Wounding paper is another story. I mean, after all, paper is a thin skinned adversary and is usually tied up in one spot where it can't get away. I've been known to wound some paper in my time. On good days, I've nailed some DRT. My fun load referenced above is, like I said, laser like and a joy when in pursuit of the eye. Bull's eye that is.

The man asked for our pet loads. Even though this one is a "J" bullet, I gave out the info and added the limitations as I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    My k-31 fell in love with 311299,water dropped,gaschecked,speedgreen lube and sized .309.

this load shot a little right ,but,a ragged hole,at 50 yards,with a flyer,or it would have been a nice group.funny,though as it did it twice(my flinch must be getting consistant)

cronographed at 1864 fps averaged.

h4895 and 30 grains at that.

federal large rifle primers.
    Mine also likes the 311299. It seems like it is rarely mentioned with the k-31. Seats way below the bottom of the neck and shouldn't work but does. I shoot with 30.0 grains Varget, Federal 210's, & LBT blue. It is really good load for 300 meter pig silhouettes.

Boolit Man
    i dont mind if its a plinking load or a full power hunting load. like mentioned, you have to pick the bullet, boolit, weight, speed ...etc, for what you are going to be shooting. for me its ALMOST always paper. i do shoot the occasional can tho .

thanks for the imput guys.

rm

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Bob S,
    I came at the question with a hunter's view. Longer ranges and lighter bullets start to perform poorly on game. ... Wounding paper is another story.
    OK, now I understand.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Buddy
    Plinking Load:

130gr RCBS 7.62mm SPL sized to .308.
    9gr Trail Boss.
    No Gas Check.
    LLA Lube.
    CCI LR 200 Primer.
    NNY Brass.
    Bullet seated so bullet engraves rifling.
    Average Velocity: 1275.8 fps

Groups about 4 inches to the right at 50 yards when sights set for use with GP11. To overcome this, I have a scope on my K31. Front sight can be moved to correct for windage, but would have to hang over the front of the sight base and look funny. I am using a clamp on scope mount and a BSA Huntsman 6-24x 40mm scope.

If I do everything correctly, 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Under 1 inch at 50 yards easy.