Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Castin 9mm for an Springfield XD?

Castin 9mm for an Springfield XD?

I am working on gathering items to start casting and reloading for 9mm. I will be getting an XD. Just wondering what your sizing to. I hear .356 to .358. I will slug the gun when I buy it but just want to keep an eye out for a sizer die in the meantime.

Thanks
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

my guess- and its just a guess- is that .356 will be a little small for you.

Boolit Grand Master

Most Euro9's need larger than .356 boolits to not lead and to shoot accurately.
    please report back what you find by slugging.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned
    I owned an XD 9 Tactical for a few years. .356" boolits hit the target sideways. I found true happiness when I started sizing boolits .357". VERY ACCURATE. I won a lotta IDPA matches with it. YMMV

SSB

Boolit Buddy
    I have a XD-9 Tactical. I shoot the Lyman 356402 sized .357" dia. lubed with Carnauba Red, it shoots very well. I load it with 3.2gr. of Titegroup or 3.8gr. of Bullseye. The best shooting bullet is the Magma 147gr. FP BB, I load it with 3.2gr. of Titegroup, it's a tack driver.

I am going to try WSF powder, I hear it does very well in a 9mm with cast bullets.

The bore on my XD-9 is .3553" diameter.

Loading cast bullets in the XD-9 you have to keep the velocity down. Load the bullet almost until it touches the throat. Don't crimp the bullet, just remove the bell.

My OAL on the Lyman 356402 is 1.115"

My OAL on the Magma 147gr FP BB is 1.135"

You are going to need a hard bullet, 16 BHN to 18 BHN, depending on your load. Wheel Weight quenched will do fine.

This should be a good place to start for you.

I started a group buy for a 9mm 147gr. FP BB mold in the group buy section, this bullet will do very well in your XD-9. It is just like the Magma 147gr. FP BB bullet I shoot. It will be a six cavity mold. This will be the only bullet you will need for your XD-9.

Thanks,

WCK
    Last edited by Windy City Kid; 06-03-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    My XDm likes the LEE 124 TL as cast.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master

My 9s all like the Lee 120TC, sized .357. No leading, good firing.

Boolit Grand Master

My XD shot 357's best 356 was too small. With Lee 124 T/C bullets and bullseye poowder it would hold under 2" at 25 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    My Kimber Target II really loves the Lee 105 SWC sized .358 with Felixlube. A tack driver.No leading at all.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Boolit Master

My suggestion is to shoot the largest (diameter) boolit your gun will chamber. May be .357, may be .358 - whatever, the barrel will size it down to the correct final diameter. My Walther P1 handles .358 boolits handily.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

You guys are awsome! Thanks for the info.

I actually went to a couple of gun shops at luchtime. One place had XD 9 tactical (which is what I want) for $529. I tried to get em to come down a little but they wouldn't.

Found one shop that sold them for $466, of course they were out.

Got the itch to buy another gun bad.
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master

Chunky, if the other gun shop had one, they'd probably want $529 also. I paid more than that for mine. I have a few extras added to it though (like a factory competition trigger, Trigicon sights and a competition barrel). That is my "ego" gun.

Well I picked up the gun on Friday and got to run a couple hundred factory rounds thru it Saturday after the match. Very nice gun!

Well I slugged the barrell this morning and it came out at .355. So should I got with .356 or .357. What'd you guys think? Should I just get both and sell the least accurate sizer die?

I would just start with .357, or make a dummy round using a .357 jacketed, or cast bullet, and see if it chambers freely. Boolit fit in the throat is sometimes more important than matching the bore dimension. You can always size down, but it's hard to size up.