Titan ReloadingMCD ProductsReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Thread: Shooters World Multi Purpose Black

Shooters World Multi Purpose Black

I have some ordered but not here yet. I have had really good luck with Blackhorn 209 but I am not going to pay 180.00 $ per pound for it, I just refuse to do so. I understand that the Shooters World MPB s the same powder as Alliants Black MZ which I have never used, or even heard of until recently. Blackhorn 209 is actually a smokeless powder with something that smokes a little added to it. I always shot Blackhorn in 45-70, 45-90, 50-110, 50-95, 40-82, 40-65, 45-60, 40-60, and 50-100 in loads by the grain with a Walters .060 wad on top of the powder without the thought of using fillers since it is a smokeless powder and my reloads with cast bullets (20:1) and Federal 215 primers have performed to my satisfaction. Question is with Shooters World MPB has anyone heard that it is actually a smoking smokeless powder like Blackhorn and if not does it require fillers to fill space not occupied by the propellant powder? Thanks for your input. Dr.C

Boolit Master

Middle Tennessee for now. WANT TO BUY land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I concur with you on the $180 per pound powder. They can keep it! I’d rather buy a new 22 rifle vs those two little vessels of powder. It’s no way in Hades it costs that much to produce. Maybe it’s priced high considering it would take muzzle loader hunters several years to use a bottle?

I’m definitely interested in the competition. First I’ve heard of it. And first mention of it having a smoke additive intentionally. Kinda like an electric car playing V8 engine sounds through speakers...

Looking forward to seeing your results! I’d like some if it really is smokeless powder and affordable.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Looks like the Shooters World powder is simply APP repackaged in Shooters World cans. You'll still need to clean the cases to keep them from corroding.
    BH209 was a mix of smokeless and KIK, after the Goex powder got sold to Hogdons and then the KIK factory(which was a subsidirary of Goex at the time used mainly for Rocket propellant and the excess was sold as sporting powder) got closed down I suspect that Western Powders had to scramble to find another blackpowder manufacturer and reformulate. Hence the silly prices now.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.