Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything

Thread: Scrubbed M-1 Garand?

Boolit Grand Master

Scrubbed M-1 Garand?

I was at an auction last weekend and saw something that I had never heard of, a scrubbed M-1 Garand.

What it was was one of the Century Arms (IIRC) re-imports, but all the markings behind the rear sight were missing. So smooth it didn't look like there had ever been anything there. No horrendous grind marks either.

All the legally required info was stamped into the left side of the receiver.

It seemed odd to me, I don't know how common it was for Century to remark guns but it raised a big bravo flag to me.

I didn't stay to see it sell; if I want to buy an M-1, I want one that looks right.

Anybody else seen one of these sad things?

Robert

Boolit Master
    There have been a few attempts to manufacture new Garand receivers.There also were some castings brought in from Australia. Perhaps it was one of the non-military produced efforts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 Garand Receivers - resized.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	330722
    Last edited by 36g; Yesterday at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I would have passed too but whatever happened does bring up an interesting legal question. If you possess a firearm with an obliterated (or even restamped serial number) you are a FELON. And an importer is required to put a new serial number on any firearm with Chinese or cyrllic letters and whatever new number they put on is the new legal serial number.

So what are they supposed to do with a US made scrubbed firearm when they import it? That is why I would have passed. A judge would have to decide.

Boolit Master
    That was a Century arms made receiver using mostly the Danish parts sets , never was markings on rear all information was on left side , shot several they all ran fine they do go for less then original M1 Garands , those guns were not scrubbed .

Look on gunbroker at photos , stamping of serial number and manufacture on left side .

Boolit Buddy

Some receivers were really worn/polished off during the sandblast/repark process. I've seen some Korean returns that you could barely make out anything except the serial number.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    That was a Century arms made receiver using mostly the Danish parts sets , never was markings on rear all information was on left side , shot several they all ran fine they do go for less then original M1 Garands , those guns were not scrubbed .

Look on gunbroker at photos , stamping of serial number and manufacture on left side .
    I would have run away from those too! The Century "drunken monkeys" have a hard time getting a stamped receiver AK to run and a Garand receiver is extremely complex to machine. Very few companies even attempted to make a Garand or M-14 receiver and they all had major problems at first. Some say they still do. Go USGI. I doubt you would be saving much with an aftermarket receiver anyway.

Boolit Master
    Well I have heard these stories , and I have been outshot in a match by a Century arms M1 , like I say I have shot several , the stories were on cast receivers verse forged , I found no issues in the ones I have shot , as to USGI all mine are from low digit serial to high 5 million .

But to the question they were not bead blasted or rusted off , these were made to build rifles out of parts kits where the receivers were not allowed back in to this country , as to cast strength verse forged that argument goes on all the time as we all shoot so many firearms made by the cast process .

Stories on the internet , pro and con , same with the USGI as there are stories about one manufacture or the other and or failings , I own Springfield ,Harrington and Richardson and treat them right keep them greased and lubed and do not hot rod them .

Have increased the number owned as they are only getting more expensive and this state has left them out of the ban for the time being .

The only M1 Garand that I’ve owned was a CAI(Century) put together as described above. Danish and Beretta parts on an aftermarket receiver.
    It shot quite accurately, but was hard pressed to go through a single en bloc clip of 8 rounds without jamming.
    According to every Garand shooter that I talked to; the receiver was the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Okay the new receiver makes sense, like I said it didn't look like it had had been ground/sanded behind the sight. I am surprised hat I had never heard of these before.

On the other hand, I can see trying to convince an over-eager Jr. LEO that thinks he knows everything that it is perfectly legal could be a lot of "fun". Glad I passed.

Robert