RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD Products

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gearing up for 8mm Mauser

Boolit Master

if you add a gas checked and drop the bhn..the as cast size should drop from increased shrinkage. then size it...323 or so.

So after the initial sizing I went to powder coat these....aaaannnnnnd couldn't find any of the stuff I had seom smoke.... Allll I had was this.

But said screw i gotta do what I gotta do. Place a order for more of smokes stuff but till then.... Decided bre heading the bullets would be the way to go

Aannnddd ugh just such a crappy coating

Tired hand tumbling using my vibratory tumbler , even messed with trying to see what would be the best temperature to pre heat but .... egh..

End up doing like three coats

Just terrible but they shouldnt do any leading

Compared to smokes on the left

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Wolfdog: I was casting some 225 grain 30 caliber bullets the other day in a Hoch mold, and I was getting a rough finish in the middle of the bore riding section on the bullets nose. This defect looked kinda like the ones on your bullets. After a little experimenting I found that this effect was not heat related (in my mold), but was a general character of the bullets I was casting. To correct this problem I tossed the defective bullets back in the pot and started pressure casting. (Not sure if this is the official term or not, but I'll explain what I was doing and other more experienced casters can correct me if it's called something else) When you are casting normally with a bottom pour pot the weight and momentum of the stream of alloy is what provides the force for the liquid metal to fill the mold. I was placing the sprue opening on the mold directly in contact with the spout on the bottom of the pot and filling the mold that way. With the mold in contact with the spout the "head", or weight of the metal inside the pot becomes the force that pushes the molten metal into the mold. It's a little tricky because you have to lower the mold away from the spout just a bare moment before you cut off the flow of alloy so that a sprue will form on the top of the mold. You need that puddle of metal on top of the sprue plate so that there will be some metal to feed into the mold as the bullet solidifies and contracts. Once I started doing the "pressure casting" the bullets from that mold came out perfectly formed. It's an easy thing to try next time your casting with that mold, and it will either work or it won't.

Do yourself a solid and and fling that Harbor Freight powder coat in the dumpster. Smokes stuff is awesome. IMHO flame red and signal blue are his best powders. Eastwood Ford Light Blue is also a proven powder for bullets, and works really good.

So just some brass prep. Bought 100 pieces of range brass from MOJO brass a while back. Went though and found 30 pieces of PPU.
    Did have any factory ammo to fire form and get measurements off of so just sized them all and see what happens as far as cleaning. Wet tumbled in water and stainless pins for a few hours with some dawn. Usually use lemmi shine too buuut think the wife tossed mine
    Then trimmed de burred tumbled in rice to get rid of any lil burs still

So expanded the necks with a NOE expander plug (.324") had to change out my rice and the lil powder you get off of the new stuff made it pretty easy to see the expansion

And as you see the bullet starts in perfect. Can actually and seat these pretty deep if I wanted

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

And some of my first shots. Started late so I only did two loads. Load came from the Lyman manual....about the only thing that book is good for imo

And as usual cast loads barley do much as far as case fill. Expecting a good bit of un burnt powder considering using a filler already but not sure

And for our COAL , custom as usual, just found jam and. Kept backing off but by but till I got a nice easy loading. I don't like hanging just because....well noting like having a bullet pull out and your chamber is full of powder

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

So two compliments I ALWAYS get when it comes to my load testing
    1. I'm not shooting off of a bench
    2. My magneto speed Chronograph that fits to the barrel

So I built me this lil bench a few weeks back. Actually not bad now that I have one that actually fits me. Yeah most benchs are not made for 5'1" tall people like me and honestly it makes me prefer shooting prone

And no magneto. Now honestly I've found in most of my other rifles it doesn't cause any problems but this thing has a really long pencil barrel sooo

Aannnddd our first group

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always found a horizontal group tends to indicate an adjustment to overall cartridge length. Made a different seating depth will give you a "rounded" group. As always, I'm following your thread. good luck.

So went and gave her a cleaning, probably the first in along time .
    One patch of Iosso....then I misolaced the tube so then two of JB bore paste , short stroked
    Then dry patched for a bit
    Two more of JB
    Dry patches
    Then a few of hoppes #9 traditional
    Then dry patched till farily clean
    Then alcohol patch

Also had to get a new scope since the last one didn't have enough windage.....o happen to notice anything? Lol

Any how the groups

I'm 100% convinced the three super UN even coats of this crappy HF powder coat are a large part of the problem. But at least I got a dect place to start on I feel with the middle load

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    So after the initial sizing I went to powder coat these....aaaannnnnnd couldn't find any of the stuff I had seom smoke.... Allll I had was this.

But said screw i gotta do what I gotta do. Place a order for more of smokes stuff but till then.... Decided bre heading the bullets would be the way to go

Aannnddd ugh just such a crappy coating

Tired hand tumbling using my vibratory tumbler , even messed with trying to see what would be the best temperature to pre heat but .... egh..

End up doing like three coats

Just terrible but they shouldnt do any leading

Compared to smokes on the left

When you get in a tight spot for Powder Coating ... just Pan Lube or Dip Lube the darn things ... I know this is hard to believe but Lubed boolits still work ...
    I'm probably not supposed to say that ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123