RotoMetals2MCD ProductsLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Coat: what Brand & Color?

Boolit Master
    I started with Smokes Red and had no problems with it. (maybe I did and wasn't smart enough to know it!!) I have since mixed it with others colors and brands (had a friend give me a bunch). I also make my own fishing jigs and now use what I have left of Smokes Red for those.

I only do the shake and bake process and only use black with plain base bullets, baked in a hardware cloth rack, nose down. I do not use gas checks and I size to the groove diameter after PC. I run velocities to 2,500 fps with rifle bullets with no fouling. I use only Eastwood powder. My 358 MGP AR with RCBS 200 plain base bullets will hold sub 1/2 inch groups at 100.
    This is the 358 MGP w 200 and 300 BO for comparison. That is a 220 in the BO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0391.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Smoke's traffic purple has been flawless but it looks like lipstick on round nose boolits. I'll never use up the pound I bought and I'm too frugal to buy another till it's gone. Parchment paper is way better than foil IMHO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I only do the shake and bake process and only use black with plain base bullets, baked in a hardware cloth rack, nose down. I do not use gas checks and I size to the groove diameter after PC. I run velocities to 2,500 fps with rifle bullets with no fouling. I use only Eastwood powder. My 358 MGP AR with RCBS 200 plain base bullets will hold sub 1/2 inch groups at 100.
    This is the 358 MGP w 200 and 300 BO for comparison. That is a 220 in the BO.
    What is hardware cloth rack?
    Do you have a pic of your setup?
    Thanks
    Last edited by hylander; 09-22-2024 at 03:23 PM.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    This is a baking rack, not hardware cloth, but it looks similar. Hardware cloth is cheaper but it's a little more flexible (smaller dia wires).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230315_145025.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	330653

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Thanks,
    Appropriately how many bullets does a pound do?
    As some would say size matters, and yes the 45 cal use a fair bit more than the 38`s but I get many many thousands out of a pound, and at the end of the day it can be a bit like an average whisky you tend to spill more than you consume

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12