MCD ProductsReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12ga smoothbore round ball accuracy?

Boolit Master

Middle Tennessee for now. WANT TO BUY land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Nice work!

What do you think the velocity is?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Nice work!

What do you think the velocity is?
    Barry, I don’t know … I still need to chrono the load.

But, for the 54cal ball load the payload is 264 grains or around 5/8 oz …. and I used 17.1 grains of Clays.

The closest reference load I have is a 7/8oz load with 18.4 grains of powder …. and which gives a velocity of 1250 FPS.

So, I would assume that the velocity is somewhere around 1250 FPS ….. maybe a bit higher.

-------------------------------------------
    Reference Load
    Cheddite Hull
    Cheddite Primer 209
    Clays Powder – 18.4 grains
    GU 1225 Wad
    Fold Crimp
    #8 shot (383 grains, 7/8 oz)
    PSI 7300
    FPS 1250

With only 5/8 oz as payload it is a very pleasant load to shoot. Not much recoil …..

And pressure should be very very low …. and at the bottom spectrum of what a 12ga can do. I am still not quite sure if that load will go boom this winter in freezing temps. I guess I will see …. something to test this winter .....
    Last edited by faustus; 09-22-2024 at 09:57 PM.

faustus, what type of magazine extensions are you using? Thanks
    Oh no, not him again!
    NRA Life Member

My avatar: Me and Smiley Burnette, April 1951. If you look closely, you'll notice Smiley's sixshooter is missing. I've looked everywhere and I'm pretty sure I don't have it.

Boolit Master

Middle Tennessee for now. WANT TO BUY land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I calculate the energy at 915 ft/lbs. I bet it is wonderful out of a 12 gauge!

Did you reduce the powder charge from your reference load to increase accuracy, or as a safety precaution?

How cold is a normal winter day up there?

I wonder if it would kill your accuracy to switch to those hot muzzleloader 209s for winter use?

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the methodical nature of your load development. What choke did you end up using in this last series? I just have a feeling that any choke disrupts the passage of the ball / wad unit. Do you have access to a cylinder bore shotgun to use? Would love to see if there are any differences. 725

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinkmeister View Post
    faustus, what type of magazine extensions are you using? Thanks
    It is an S&J +2 extension that was polished and blued to match the guns finish ...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I like the methodical nature of your load development. What choke did you end up using in this last series? I just have a feeling that any choke disrupts the passage of the ball / wad unit. Do you have access to a cylinder bore shotgun to use? Would love to see if there are any differences. 725
    The 54cal ball only worked in a .665 Turkey choke.
    The 58cal ball only worked in a .680 Turkey choke.

One of my findings was that the ball/wad/choke combination needs to fit exactly.
    One choke size up or down and the pattern is all over ….

I have tried the 54cal load in a .700 choke .... and some rounds did not even hit paper. The pattern was all over the place. With a Cylinder choke the result would even be worse ....

Vendor Sponsor

Faustus: Why are you shooting smaller round balls? I thought you were shooting these thru a 20 ga?

Typically balls from .662 and up work pretty well and are not at all hard to get to perform. Generally shooting Round Balls of .662-.690 loaded into a regular Skeet or Trap Load with a 1/4" Felt Wad under the ball, and shot thru an IC choke tube will produce good results out to 50 yards.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464871.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Faustus: Why are you shooting smaller round balls? I thought you were shooting these thru a 20 ga?

Typically balls from .662 and up work pretty well and are not at all hard to get to perform. Generally shooting Round Balls of .662-.690 loaded into a regular Skeet or Trap Load with a 1/4" Felt Wad under the ball, and shot thru an IC choke tube will produce good results out to 50 yards.

Randy
    Randy, I wanted something with a bit less recoil and that I can shoot safely through my 12ga hunting gun with a turkey choke.
    Last edited by faustus; Yesterday at 06:31 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123