Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingMCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington Model 11?

Boolit Grand Master

Remington Model 11?

Can anyone tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about the Remington Model 11?

I am the proud new owner of a 12 gauge 28" Modified with solid rib shotgun. I have set the friction rings and lubed the magtube for trials. It appears to work correctly; but I haven't shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow.

I probably won't shoot it a lot given my recent lack of shooting shotguns, just make sure it works and leave it in the safe.

The wood is good, i.e. no splits or missing pieces, so that is a plus. The recoil pad needs replacing if I am to use it much at all, but that is minor.

What are the chances a replacement barrel will work? Mainly idle wondering.

Thanks,

Robert

Forgot to mention that I have had several Model 11's as welfare and recreation guns over the years, they seemed like good guns as long as you weighed over 100 pounds (I qualify).

R

Boolit Master
    barrels most times are drop in and work.Sometimes need to open up the square block opening on top of barrel extention.

savage 720 745 barrels will also interchange A5 wont

Great shotgun. Used to have one. They have a fiber recoil pad inside the rear of the receiver secured in that position by a rivet. Eventually they crack/disintegrate/wear out and need to be replaced. Best done by a gunsmith familiar with the task.

DG

Have one. Mine's made in 1917 and has a Poly - Choke. Never malfunctioned over the past 35 years. Great shotgun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remington b.jpg  

Hunted birds with mine for many years, never a failure. now my son uses it.

Boolit Master

I have seen two that had cracked bolts. The cracks started in the race that the locking lug pivots in.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Grand old shotgun, why would you want to replace the barrel? If the action feels tight and smooth you’re good to go. The bushing in the back of the receiver that DG mentioned probably does need replacing but that gun was made to shoot. Ejectors and extractors will be worn if shot to death so I’m hoping you got one witha lot of life left in it. Congrats but I’m jealous!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I have three - two 12’s and a 20. I learned to shoot a shotgun on a Rem 11 so I’m comfortable with the basic design. Some say they kick a great deal more than a gas gun but perceived recoil is much less than a double or single barrel.

My 20 has a 28” full choke barrel and is a killing machine; very tight patterns over distance.

Boolit Master

Cherish what you have. For the field, two shotguns I wouldn't part with: my father's Model 12 (purchased new in 1937) and the M11 I've owned for almost 50 years.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I had 2 uncles that had the Remington Model 11's. One in 12 and 1 in 16 gauge. Both never bobbled that I ever heard of. That was many years ago and I always wondered what happened to those 2 shotguns. Both of their families are completely gone now. james