Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much Unique to use

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stronics View Post
    I loaded 5.0 grains in 357 loads with a 158 gr. LSWC bullet. Shot some yesterday and a lot of unburned powder. About how much would you need to load for that to not happen. Heavy on the crimp too. First time I loaded for this revolver. Wasn't bad accuracy wise though.
    David
    Unless there's a specific reason for light loads like that, I stay away from them; got too many squibs when I was just starting out.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Unique is notorious for burning dirty with reduced loads, used it for years myself, found I was better off to use 231/hP-38 for reduces loads as it does not care about 38 Spl VS 357 case and burns much cleaner with reduced loads.
    Shooting Hunter Pistol or Field Pistol competition, I found that using 38 Spl cases and 357 cases with the exact same loads of 231 shot to the same point of impact with the same sight settings in the same gun out to 100 yards. 231 does not care about the extra 1/4" of case length and uses comparitivly very small or light weight charges.

In the mean time, just increase your charge using Unique to get a more consistent and cleaner burn, that does coincide with better accuracy.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I like 6.0 grs Unique under any 158 gr lead SWC properly sized (.358) for my 4 5/8 in Ruger 357 Mag Blackhawk. I use CCI-550 primers. I use a firm roll crimp through a Lee FCD. Velocity is approximately 1,000 fps from the Ruger.
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12