Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MCD ProductsRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Thread: Dillon RL550B

Boolit Buddy

Dillon RL550B

I have a 550B that hasn't been set up for at least the last 2 moves and maybe 15 years. I see that the 550B is now an obsolete model and I don't see anything about upgrade parts on the Dillon site. Anybody know what's changed and if I should be concerned?

I built a new bench for it and I hope to get it set up again sometime soon.

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Bub
    I have had a 550B for years! Still use it and do not feel like I am missing anything

Likewise what Bronco72 said!
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master
    The new model is the 550C. All upgrades fit onto the B model. They changed the lower handle pivot points with greasable zerks and a few bobs here and there, nothing major changed. Order any replacement part for the 550B as if it were a 550C.

Boolit Buddy
    I finally went blue when I found a great deal and had the cash, then found a second one, been using them without problems, found out they're the older ones, I had to get some parts for the second one and didn't have to know what upgrade it was, just 550, great machines but wow, pricey parts.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

I have 2 550's and do not feel shorted having older models. Prefer them over others mostly for cheaper conversions and just appreciate their simpliciity. GW

jock, just ignore it. imho.
    I have a 450 now, had a 550-B traded it off. The RL450 has been upgraded twice. I am fine with it. Granted I can't switch tool heads. But I mostly load 9mm, and may occasionally do 223. all others I am doing on other simpler presses because I don't shoot enough of them to bother getting conversion kits: 38, 45, .357, etc.
    your situation seems a bit different;
    It was easy enough to change the primer parts to 550 style, and the hopper.

Have been running 2 gifted 550Bs for years. Haven’t had to do anything much to them other than clean things once in a while. Keep a toothbrush handy. Use them for 45colt, 45ar and 45acp.

Have been using my 550B for many years loading 9mm, 45acp and 223, never thought that that I need any "more" in that configuration.

The 550c doesn't do anything a B cannot. The C had threaded upper pivots, some groves and zerk fittings, the B has a heavier frame.

See figure 8 page 8 in the B manual.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/medi...al-english.pdf

vs the top left photo on page 14 of the C manual. Look at the front part of the "O" on them. The B is solid, the C is not.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/medi...al-english.pdf
    Last edited by jmorris; 09-04-2024 at 02:44 PM.

Boolit Mold
    my 550 was used ;but they still supplied a complete new powder dispenser when the arm broke, no charge.
    same with the ramp cases; slide into the loading plate. best warranty. Easy to deal with...

Boolit Man
    Dillon used to sell an upgrade kit for the “B”, I think it was a new frame and pins for around $175 I believe. Not sure if they still offer it, but I would never spend that for it.(I think there was a YouTube video on it) I’m happy with mine and can lube my pins every few years and save my money for primers.

Boolit Master
    The C has oil holes. I have 2 550b's and a 550c. I use the 550c like a 550b. Clean the ram good before use or the ram will scratch. I bought my C used and spent a few hours cleaning. Frames size looks the same to me other than a place to hook up a powder index which I removed. I bought my first one in the early 80's and they still work like new.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanx guys. I boxed up my RL550B when I got married and moved 15 or so years ago. I've since moved again and the 550B is still boxed up. I'm hoping it's still all there and when I go to set it up again (hopefully) soon...

BTW, when I bought my M1911, I also bought a box of 500 cast 200g boolits. Working with a single stage press, it took me more than a year to load up all those along with other boolits I bought along the way. The next box of 500 cast slugs took me a little over a month to load the same way.

After getting a pretty good paying job I bought my RL550B from long gone and much missed "3 Bears" gun shop. At the time I could only afford 1 tool head and 2 caliber kits. Anyway while learning how to use it, I loaded 500 rounds over a weekend. That was the last time I really paid attention to how many rounds a day I could produce...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master

Too many are concerned about having the newest/shiniest model rather than just using it. I used one for >30-years and only replaced it w/ a 650 after the 550 wore-out. I reload too much to do without a (semi)progressive press for the time it would take Dillon to rebuild it.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.