Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loading 'down' a 44Mag

Boolit Master

Thanks all. Found a couple of really good loads. One near the min and one up close to the max recommended for Trail Boss.

A little off topic but close enough and PAINFULL lol. I took out my Marlin 1895GS 45-70 one day to try for groups with new loads that are not mild lol. A 350GR at almost 2100FPS lol. Well at any rate I was at the bench and somehow when I fired it pinched some skin under my arm between the Butt and the table lol. Talk about BLACK and BLUE lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    My biggest concern with what you're doing is the soft alloy. I wouldn't use anything that soft above 800fps.
    Most of my shooting is over the chrono, so I have as much information as I can.
    My favorite load at 800-1000fps is a straight WW boolit. I THEN load a bunch up with the load I've chosen, with whatever boolit I've chosen.
    Trail Boss seems good because it fills the case so well. WW231, Bullseye, and Red (or)Green Dot, do very well, as they cover the bottom of the case, pretty well, and are easy to ignite. AA#2 and #5 do well, but are very compact, not taking up much space. AA#7 can do well, but is starting into the territory of Unique and Herco. If you plan to "move up" before loading many rounds, one of THOSE might be the one to choose, especially if you buy powder by the 8#.
    I bought 500 Midway cases, for identification, and loaded them with WW231, for my "plinking" loads. I won't have to load more for a while.
    Have fun,
    Gene

Groo here
    My load is a 44mag case , a 200gr cowboy bullet [ for rifle and pistol]
    a max [full case but not compressed] load of Trailboss with a heavy crimp,
    and mag primers.
    This will shoot about the same as a 44-40 and little cleanup ..
    NOTE: the more I work with TB the more I believe you can't crimp it to tight
    or light it to hot

Boolit Buddy
    For plinking loads I use #5, Unique, or Red Dot.