MCD ProductsInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ingots & why we smelt first

Boolit Master
    If there is exposed lead (hollow point, FMJ with visible lead base, or damaged slug also with visible lead, the lead core will escape when it melts, though it might take a bit of shaking in a slotted spoon if the opening is small.

I’ve also used a waffle faced hammer to smash the slugs on concrete. Fast, though ya gotta watch mis hits that will skitter all over.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast ingots when in small quantities using my Lee pot other than where I live because it leaves a lot of sludge, debri, and smoke. Bulk ingots had different hardness so casting ingots allowed me to separate lead ingots by hardness. Later, I started casting ingots by source: FMJ lead scrap. .22lr scrap, pellet lead scrap. Not only was the hardness consistent but the same alloy. After testing, I use pellet lead for certain bullets. Scrap lead ingots with the highest bhn, I save for 40cal target bullets. Because the lead ingots don't smoke, I can cast the ingots at home. Without having to smelt the slag out of the lead and just melt and cast bullets, I can cast more.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for sharing your experience with smelting jacketed and copper washed projectiles! Cutting them in half to release the lead core makes a lot of sense, especially with the open-base ones. I'll have to try your method, sounds like it saves a lot of time and hassle.

Boolit Master
    Neat stacks of ingots make me feel like Rockefeller. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smelting.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	330021

Boolit Buddy
    I want to add that when smelting with my Lee pot, I scrape the walls and bottom to release more sludge that has been sticking on the side of the pot. I cast my lead into a Lee ingot mold. When casting bullets, I cut up the ingots and use an even proportion of lead from different ingots to maintain a stable alloy.

Boolit Bub
    Some good advice. Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123