Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsInline Fabrication

Thread: Liquid Car Wax

Liquid Car Wax

Anyone used liquid carnauba car wax in boolit lubes?

What actually would liquid car wax be doing in bullet lube? Lubricity or flow or something.

Boolit Buddy
    No and I wouldn't waste my time on an commercial auto wax that might have a small percent Carnuba. I use pure Carnuba Wax. You can find the flakes on Ebay or Amazon and you don't need much. Make sure you by the flakes and add it last since it is the highest melting and hardest wax you can get.

Moderator Emeritus

Most liquid car wax has polishing compound or other light abrasive.
    Are you wanting to Lap/polish your bore?
    I was given a baggie of pure Carnauba flakes from another member when I was doing some experimenting. I never used it...everything I've heard that it does, is something I don't want to happen. If you are interested in playing with it, you can have that baggie.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    What bad things have you heard? Adding Johnson paste wax to alox based tumble lubes was extremely popular before it was discontinued and people used JPL because it contained carnuba wax. Instead of cooking off most of the JPL solvent you can get the same results by adding carnuba flakes at the end then diluting with mineral spirits. My version of 45-45-10 is just carnuba, beeswax, alox and paint thinner and it tumbles well and is not sticky when dried.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I was given a baggie of pure Carnauba flakes from another member when I was doing some experimenting. I never used it...everything I've heard that it does, is something I don't want to happen. If you are interested in playing with it, you can have that baggie.
    What does it do that would be detrimental?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

There is enough fat in the federal government that if you rendered it you could wash the world
    Ronald Reagan.

Moderator Emeritus

Carnauba wax, you need to ask yourself, what does it do as a boolit lube ingredient?

I'm not saying it is "detrimental" or does "bad things"
    I'm saying, what it does, I don't want.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Man
    About 10 years ago,used Collinite Insulator wax.It's wax and some kind of banana smelling solvent,no abrasives.tried it in place of JPW,just to compare.I don't remember it not working ,but I'd prefer to use it as a car wax instead,lasts a long time on the paint.

I love Carnuba wax. But car polish, never, ever.

All of them I have ever read the label on have grit of some kind, from pumice to nastier stuff.

If you find one that does not, go ahead, its your bore.

Straight carnuba wax is not that hard to find, nor that expensive.

Amazon has it at 8 oz of PURE wax for 8$. You'd pay that much for the car wax for half an ounce.

I mix mine with my BLL. figure 4 oz of alox, 4 of Johnson's, mineral spirits (have even used 70% rubbing alcohol) It all works.
    8 Oz total, I want 1%. 3500 grains per 8 oz (granted converting fluid oz to weight) so about 350 of wax in grains. Heat your alox, melt the carnuba into it, mix, add solvent, mix, be happy.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You sure do not want to use car wax as a lube! Most contain abrasives to remove dirt and polish the car finish. That is rubbing slow by hand or with a buffer mabe 4X a year. Now you want to put the same gunk on hundreds or thousands of boolits and fire them down your gun barrels??????????????? Taking off teeny bits of metal with each round fired? I don't think so, Tim.

Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Stick with known proven lubes. I 100% approve of powder coating! Quit using messy grease way back in 2013. Excellent results, no mess, no grease smoke, excellent accuracy.

You will like it!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Car polish like NuFinish works great shinning brass in the tumbler. If it does that why would someone put it down a barrel unless they are trying to shine or lap it?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

There is enough fat in the federal government that if you rendered it you could wash the world
    Ronald Reagan.

Boolit Master

On a tangent, has anyone tried Minwax Natural Paste Wax? It's available at the big box stores and online. On the surface, it appears that it would be a good substitute for Johnson's (no longer produced).

https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-785004...316aa5a9a&th=1
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Yo JonB.
    That a light abrasive could be present was one thought. Another was that a liquid polish with carnauba in it could perhaps be useful in concocting a tumble lube. Hadn't gotten around to thinking about a bore polishing "lube" but I'm going to file that away for possible future use.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Yo JonB.
    That a light abrasive could be present was one thought. Another was that a liquid polish with carnauba in it could perhaps be useful in concocting a tumble lube. Hadn't gotten around to thinking about a bore polishing "lube" but I'm going to file that away for possible future use.
    Good Cheer,
    while you are filing that tidbit away, be sure to file away the thought that Barrel manufacturers don't polish the inside of their barrels. They leave them in a certain condition, to achieve a certain amount of friction. If a barrel is too polished (or too slippery by other means), accuracy suffers from shot to shot. This is also why I don't use Carnauba wax is a boolit lube.
    I will admit, this doesn't matter with pistols being shot at typical pistol distances.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    On a tangent, has anyone tried Minwax Natural Paste Wax? It's available at the big box stores and online. On the surface, it appears that it would be a good substitute for Johnson's (no longer produced).

https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-785004...316aa5a9a&th=1
    It’s made in china

That’s reason enuff!

Sam Sackett

Boolit Grand Master

Where some works well is as a release agent or resist for bedding and things of that sort.