Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 7mm RM and 145 grain GC Loads

Boolit Mold

7mm RM and 145 grain GC Loads

Hello - first real post here except for disclosing in the lurkers thread.

I have a savage 110 in 7mag that I would like to get some trigger time on. I just purchased 800-284 GC boolits (they average 148 grains with the GC) from a guy who claims to have run them 1800fps with no leading. They currently aren't lubed. The deal was too good to pass up.

Any thoughts on loads? I do have IMR4895 handy but I think this will only get me down to maybe 2100 using the 60% guideline for 4895. Can I go lower with this using a dacron filler? Anyone have any data? Otherwise I was thinking of picking up some unique or blue or red dot. As for SR - there's narry a can in sight in my town.

Boolit Grand Master

First you need to lube the bullets. If you are not set up for lubing then pan lubing would be the way to go using a good NRA 50/50 formula lube. Or you could trying Lee Liquid Alox. If you use the LLA then I'd use 2 good coats using the instructions for the application.

Start at 28 gr IMR 4895 and use a 3/4 gr dacron filler. Work up in 1 gr increments.

4759, 4227 or 4198 would be better powders for that light of a bullet. I would use the dacron filler with those also. 2400 would also be a good choice.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate your suggestions and comments. It's not so easy to make it happen in a pinch around here. I live in a small town in Canada and I don't have ready access to alox - I would have to order some. Can I pick up some at an autoparts store/hardware store under disguise?

I was planning on making up some homemade lube from one of the recipes on here. I have some beeswax, vaseline, stp, 3/4 tube of white lithium grease labeled "general purpose, extreme pressure", lotza candles, all gathered up from various sources. I should be able to create something decent from a mixture of some of the above??? Any recommendations without Alox. Oh, and no caruba either aside from buying some bluebell cheese

Aleth

Boolit Master
    If this bullet is the RCBS 145 gr. Sil. bullet, I have experimented with it alot in a 7mmSaum Sendero, as cast, the boreriding front section was too big to bore ride and I had to seat it very deep in the case. I sized the driving bands to .285 and sized the front nose first, in a .277 die only down 2/3 of the way, it's deadly now with light charges of 4759. I have also experimented with Lyman's 160 gr. #287641 in the same gun. The boreriding portion is on the small side, but I have shot some 1" groups at 100yds, with the same charges of 4759. Due to dimensions, I don't think I can improve on this, but the 145 RCBS turns the Saum into a tack driver!

Boolit Mold
    They are Pre-fab bullets from "Competition bullets, inc., edmonton alberta" who are now out of business so it appears. Labeled "Mag Alloy" Rear GC and two driving bands are 284, nose is 278-279.

Boolit Mold
    ok - so this is funny. I walk into the autoparts store in town and there's an employee with a big white bushy beard (just like most of the members here, I guess) and I ask him if there's anything with a lube called Alox in it. He gets a big grin and says what do you want it for? I tell him it's for shooting cast with my rifle. He says he gave away his last bit of alox from his personal collection but that he has some rcbs rifle bullet lube I could buy for a couple bucks a tube. He's bringing it to town tomorrow. I look up RCBS Rifle Lube and it's 50% beeswax 50% alox - it's exactly what I was trying to make. I'm sure I'll be posting more. Thanks for all the help.

Boolit Grand Master

"RCBS Rifle Lube", that'll do nicely. Goes to show sometimes us old guys with big white bushy beards aren't all that bad, eh?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    If this bullet is the RCBS 145 gr. Sil. bullet, I have experimented with it alot in a 7mmSaum Sendero
    Looking at the RCBS 7mm-145-SIL mold and my boolits, it appears that this is exactly what they are. The guy I bought them from said he was shooting silhouette. Thanks for the tip on accurizing, MT.

Boolit Master

candles

HI,
    Just saw this due to your e-mail.
    Candles are made from patrolium wax & is not a good choice for bullet lubes.
    A large sized bore riding section MAY be an advantage in some guns.
    Dep. Al was going to do some mid. range loads w/ the 7MM MAG.
    I think I had a thread on my work/loads back several yrs. ago. So a thread search would show you all previous work posted.