Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMCD Products
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6500 USD, Received: 4580 USD (71%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't THINK I did this wrong, but...

Interesting.

I just turn my glass 9” X 9” cake pan over when the lube is solid but still warm. Then push the bullets out when pan separates from the bullets, the weight of the bullets will pull the lube cake down and separate the pan.

Experimenting right now.

So I started doing things differently, melting the lube in one tin while the boolits warmed up in a different tin on a different stove burner. And for those curious, no, the wife won't say anything about me lubing boolits on the stove - I do the cooking. Doing a pot roast in the crock pot right now, BUT, that's not what I am writing about.
    I got a much more unform look and kept the level of lube below the ogive.

Then I let it cool and then chilled it in the fridge for a few minutes. Then I got the cokie cutter and started.

The ones the cookie cutter would slide over came out pretty darn near perfect. The ones slightly out of round, etc, and the cutter would NOT slide easily, well, they lost the lube rings and ended up being tossed back in the mix.

So, I followed a piece of advice here, and chamfered the cutter. Lousy picture, sorry.

It picked up maybe one more boolit the next time, so I think either the mold is slightly off, or perhaps I just need to widen the base of the cutter a ten thousandth or so on a mandrel...it I had one. Or, I figure out how to size the boolits as cast, THEN apply lube. In any case, I have a baggie with a few more ready to use for BP loads, and later tonight I will size them.

It[s a work in progress.

Boolit Grand Master

Use thge case expander plug ligthly tap it in the cutter then lightly tap around the outside to open it up this last wont take much

Not a bad idea at all, thank you!

Boolit Grand Master

The expander may open it up enough as is light tapping around will lightly thin the metal and make it grow. Use a small light hammer and light taps.

Boolit Master
    What is SPG?

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    You could probably improve things a bit by switching to dog food cans.
    Cats are too finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    So I started doing things differently, melting the lube in one tin while the boolits warmed up in a different tin on a different stove burner. And for those curious, no, the wife won't say anything about me lubing boolits on the stove - I do the cooking. Doing a pot roast in the crock pot right now, BUT, that's not what I am writing about.
    I got a much more unform look and kept the level of lube below the ogive.

Then I let it cool and then chilled it in the fridge for a few minutes. Then I got the cokie cutter and started.

The ones the cookie cutter would slide over came out pretty darn near perfect. The ones slightly out of round, etc, and the cutter would NOT slide easily, well, they lost the lube rings and ended up being tossed back in the mix.

So, I followed a piece of advice here, and chamfered the cutter. Lousy picture, sorry.

It picked up maybe one more boolit the next time, so I think either the mold is slightly off, or perhaps I just need to widen the base of the cutter a ten thousandth or so on a mandrel...it I had one. Or, I figure out how to size the boolits as cast, THEN apply lube. In any case, I have a baggie with a few more ready to use for BP loads, and later tonight I will size them.

It[s a work in progress.
    Actually, it is a very good picture.
    Most times you can't tell if I'm serious or just full of it.
    I really do think the picture is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    What is SPG?
    Lube made for blackpowder by Steve P Garbe
    The 82nd Airborne Taught Us To Make the Rules Not Follow Them Like Sheeple

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    El Mac: he DID swap off from a cat food container. Now, he is cookie-cutting in a cookie tin!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    El Mac: he DID swap off from a cat food container. Now, he is cookie-cutting in a cookie tin!
    Well...I must have had a Brandon lapse, at least I'm not the leader of the free world.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Greybuff.