Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet mold recommendations for 32 S&W Long

Bullet mold recommendations for 32 S&W Long

Someone gave me this old S&W a while back in trade for some work I did and finally got around to doing some research on it. The serial number indicates mid-late 1930s manufacture and I initially thought it was a .32 Hand Ejector 3rd Model but now I think it is a prewar .32 Regulation Police based on the markings on the right frame which appear to be Japanese or Chinese characters. The double action trigger pull is ultra smooth but it takes a bit of effort to cock the hammer so may need to take it apart for a good cleaning. The gun appears to have been refinished and has no real collector value but for an hour of labor and a few bucks in materials I am happy to have it. Guess I'll need to get some brass, dies and another bullet mold to shoot it. I would like to get a SWC design in either a 4- 5- or 6-gang mold. Any suggestions for something that fits my criteria? Anything else I should know before I dive in? I have never loaded or shot this cartridge before but used to own a pair of baby magnums in 32 H&R Mag so expect it will be a pleasant shooter. TIA.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlsUTz7h.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	327808

Name:	dAkfpMeh.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	327809

Name:	VqsEzpth.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	327810
    Keep moving forward!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The RCBS 32-098SWC or 32-090CM are the bullets of choice for .32 S&W Long. If you want a gang mold get one of the NOE clones. A charge of 2 grains of Bullseye is a good match for factory ammo and won't beat up the old gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Let us know how she shoots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Been using 100 grain powder coated LSWC from Jerry's here in Tulsa. Very accurate from my gun over 2.6 grains of Unique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32 sw long pulled bullets dec 2022 b.jpg   Shooting July 26 2023.jpg  
    Last edited by Tall; 06-22-2024 at 08:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Catshooter ran a group buy for a 32 caliber Keith mold. Look for one of those molds.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Yep it’s a Regulation Police. It has the long grip with the stepped backstrap.
    I’ve got one with a 3.25” barrel.

I prefer full meplat wadcutters in my 32’s for most applications. I first used the RCBS 98 gr WC. When I bought mine it was only available as. 2-cavity. Good mold. Good design. But my 32’s all have voracious appetites for boolits and a 2-cavity just doesn’t keep up. Bought an Accurate Mold 31-088w in a 5 cavity. Much better dropping 5 at a time!

32 SWL seems to give best results with boolit weights of about 90 - 100 grains.

I give a hearty Amen to what Outpost75 said.

There’s a good possibility you’ll get sucked into the 32 pool just by sticking your toe in the water with this little jewel. If that happens you could end up owning a 32 acp like a maybe a Colt M1903. You might be ahead to get a the Accurate Mold 31-090B which could pull double duty in 32 SWL and 32 acp.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I looked on the NOE site but do not see a clone of the RCBS 32-098SWC or 32-090CM. I had the Accurate 32 Caliber 98 Gr. SWC Keith bullet mold but may have sold it when I sold my Rugers. I will check but hated using that mold because the bullets were very difficult to remove. MP has a couple of molds that might fit the bill, anyone have experience with either of those?

FWIW I went down the 1903 rabbit hole a few years ago...
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    I just ordered the Arsenal 32 Caliber 100 Grain TC -PC Bullet, 5 cavity. I have several of their molds and really like them.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The RCBS 32-098SWC or 32-090CM are the bullets of choice for .32 S&W Long. If you want a gang mold get one of the NOE clones. A charge of 2 grains of Bullseye is a good match for factory ammo and won't beat up the old gun.
    +1--You'll look far and wide and still not find a better boolit than the 32-98 SWC for the 32 long. A 5 cavity NOE 315-102-SWC-AZ4 is a nice thing for mass production.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    +1--you'll look far and wide and still not find a better boolit than the 32-98 swc for the 32 long. A 5 cavity noe 315-102-swc-az4 is a nice thing for mass production.
    oos
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Buddy
    I use Arsenal’s 98gr SWC Keith bullet. Works good for me. Also use a Lyman 313226 RN.

I sold my little 32 S&W and have this Arsenal mold in plain-base that I no longer need-

Name:	Arsenal Molds.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	327914

Name:	S&W 32 Long and Bullets.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	327915

Name:	100 gr. SWC.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	327916

Also have an NOE HP mold-

Name:	118 gr. HP.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	327917

Water tested those bad boys and they did great-

Let me know if you're interested in either or both.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Lee TL314-90-SWC six cavity mould with which a lot of bullets can be cast very quickly. I cast them of mostly odds n ends of alloys left over with Pb added to soften the alloy or unknown alloys that are also softened with Pb. TL'd with a very light coat of LLA and sized at .314 they are excellent when loaded in the 32 S&WL and shot out of my S&W M30 w'3" barrel. I load them over 2.7 gr Bullseye and put a very mild roll crimp in the top lube groove. Velocity runs 875 fps. PSI [measured in Contender barrel via Oehler M43] runs 16,500 psi.

An excellent load which also shoot very well in my Ruger SS [first run] 32 H&R.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    As you will surmise from the variety of answers you’ve gotten so far, the 32 S&W L is not very particular what you feed it. If shooting for absolute accuracy (which you probably won’t be with that little RP) the ultimate bottom line is probably a hollow based wadcutter loaded over light load of Bullseye or HP38.

On the other hand, for the kind of casual shooting most of us do with these little I frames, virtually any decent bullet between 90 and 105 grains in WC, SWC, RNFP, or even full round nose like the old factory rounds will be a joy to shoot.

For my all around favorite a 95-105 gr SWC or RNFP over a light charge of Bullseye (or more recently HP38 or its twin, W231) gets the nod. There have been some fairly affordable jacketed or brass “coated” bullets and some really good swaged bullets available, but as you’ve seen, so many good moulds are available out there, I don’t usually use them.

If you want to go on a serious search, a couple of decades ago Lee came out with a couple of special order six cavity tumble lube moulds, a SWC & WC. They are hard to find but worth the price of admission! They work well TL as designed but will also respond well to slight sizing with conventional lubing. Dale53 and Outpost75 alerted me to their potential.

Yes, your RP is almost certainly refinished. The nickel plated hammer and trigger ar a dead giveaway. I also noticed the interesting marks scratched into the side plate. They caught my eye, but I’m not familiar enough with anything beyond the English alphabet, so I’ll go with Japanese or Chinese.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-24-2024 at 07:16 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Another boolit that is a dandy is the MP 314-640 100 gr. hp. I have mostly used it in a 32-20 and in the 327, but it works very well in both the H&R and the 32 S&W Long.

Name:	IMG_3862.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	327921
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I have a Lee TL314-90-SWC six cavity mould with which a lot of bullets can be cast very quickly. I cast them of mostly odds n ends of alloys left over with Pb added to soften the alloy or unknown alloys that are also softened with Pb. TL'd with a very light coat of LLA and sized at .314 they are excellent when loaded in the 32 S&WL and shot out of my S&W M30 w'3" barrel. I load them over 2.7 gr Bullseye and put a very mild roll crimp in the top lube groove. Velocity runs 875 fps. PSI [measured in Contender barrel via Oehler M43] runs 16,500 psi.

An excellent load which also shoot very well in my Ruger SS [first run] 32 H&R.
    Another nice thing about the little 32s is they aren’t picky eaters. It seems like they’ll accept about any reasonable plumbous alloy. I like to start with any pre-zinc wheel weights if I have any laying around and add a skosh of tin but just about anything in the lead pot (except pure time for ML bullets) seems to work just fine. In fact, they’re also a good way to use up my leftovers!
    Froggie
    PS Larry, I think that mould in a 6 cavity was a special run, now discontinued.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee 6 cavity TL314-90-SWC was a catalogued item when I got mine back in the mid '90s. Why it's no longer catalogued has remained a mystery to me.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Accurate 31-090B was mentioned. It is one of my favorites in .32 ACP.

The 31-105T is another good choice for .32 Long and .32-20.

Name:	31-090B-D.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	327943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-105T-D.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	327944

31-109D ogival wadcutter is another. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-109D-D.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	327945
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    OP75, is Accurate making moulds these days? It seems like somebody posted they’d had difficulties reaching them. Have you been in recent contact?
    On a better note, it seems like those 105 gr bullets are in the Goldilocks range for a variety of 32s and it would be worthwhile to have at least one in that weight range to play with.
    Your Friend the Frog

Have not been in touch with Tom lately.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.