RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Article about loading. 410 buckshot.

Boolit Master

Article about loading. 410 buckshot.

A couple of years ago a member here sent me images of an article describing a .410 2 1/2" buckshot load using 2400 propellant. I have shared those images with several other members. My anti virus deleted those and several other images on my phone. I'm asking if any of you have that article and could send it to me. PM me for my email address.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. WANT TO BUY land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I just picked up an IMR pamphlet from 1995 or 1999 or so, and it had 2400 410 data. I’ll have to check later and see if it was for shot or buckshot.

Boolit Master
    As long as the weight is the same, I can use the same data.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I looked through the IMR pamphlet when I got home today. And looked at other gauges too and couldn’t find the 2400 recipes. Then it hit me. 2400 isn’t an IMR powder. It must have been 4227 that I was thinking about.

Boolit Master
    Oopse

Boolit Master
    The Lyman shotshell handbook has 2-1/2” 410 data for 2400 powder with 1/2 ounce of shot. 2nd, 3rd, and fifth editions. I didn’t see 2400 in any of their 3” recipes. 2nd and 3rd editions don’t have any 410 buckshot data.

Boolit Master
    Thank you. Still looking for the specific article. I think it was written by Mossad Ayube.

I would like to see the article too. I’m in the process of trying to find the perfect 410 buckshot load.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Still not the article you’re after, but it is 2400 in 410 information...

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...reloading-data

Maybe by keeping this thread active, someone who has the article will share it with us?

Boolit Master

Some thoughts from an old post at Shotgun forum:

#8 · Dec 7, 2013
    At one time 2400 was all I loaded in the 410. I can tell you this, it's pretty hard on hulls. Burns the case mouths pretty quickly, but as far as performance, there's no powder that produces better or more consistent loads than 2400, in the older 410 hulls.

Loaded mostly Remington hulls, and the load originally was 15.0 grs. 2400, but there was a change in 2400 about 20 years ago, and that dropped the charge in Remington's to 13.0 grs. In Rem. hulls use the Claybuster CB5050-410 HSB wad. This wad is really for the AA HS hulls, but works equally well in Remington hulls

Winchester Compression formed cases use 13.5 grs. 2400. I loaded both cases with W-209 primers. Best wads for the old AA CF hulls is the Orange PC wad from Down Range.

Today's Winchester 410 HS cases do not do well with 2400. They are at their best with W-296/H-110 or Alliant's new 300MP powders. I have used W-296 or H-110 (Same powder) for several years now in the AA HS cases. I run 16.0 grs for about 1280 FPS, which is a great performing load, and simply crushes Skeet targets. I use W-209 primers and the Claybuster CB5050-410HSB wads.

Good luck with your 410 project.

DLM
    DLM
    Save
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios