WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 9mm japanese revolver

Boolit Master

9mm japanese revolver

Ok..so I'm finally looking at reloading for it. I picked up my 3rd type 26 this weekend..and figure I need a project. Many many decades ago I got my first one..that was back before I reloaded. I actually found ammo for it and shot it a bit... Fast forward and now I only know where 1 round is. I believe I have some brass coming to me on a trade.

Now then... Reloading... Been reading some archived posts here and there. Seems many people are using certain brands 38sw..and thinning the rim... Sizing with a 38spl die and then loading with the 38sw die. Still others are loading 38 acp / 38super and just shortening the case 1mm and possibly neck turning. 38 super is 9×23sr and 9mm jap revolver is 9x22r.. But people say the super rim is big enough to catch the extractor. I have 38sw brass but don't feel like rigging up a rim cutter. I may have some factory 38 super floating around..and can neck ream or turn..and lastly.. I may be getting some 9mm jap revolver brass.

Question... What tooling would you load with? Size with 38spl?
    I do have 38 acp dies .. So that's a seating option.

I looked up the fps and pressure..and the 9mm jap revolver is about 66-75% of a 38sw..depending on the loading..ie..5xx fps range. I see factory loads in 150gr.. And many reloaders using 120-130 cast lead.

Most of the internet stuff I read is dated from early 2000 to 2013... Not many shooters of this.

Anyone here load for it?

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know anything about the 9mm Japanese revolver but the 38 S&W has a fatter case than a 38 Special. I cut down some 38 special cases and fireformed them to use in a 38S&W and while they worked just fine you can see an obvious bulge in the case. But since this is a low pressure cartridge they reload just fine. I do use 38 S&W dies when sizing to avoid overworking the brass.

Since 38 S&W cases are probably unobtainun now I would cut down a 38 special case and see if the rim fits the cylinder. Wartime Japanese firearms can have some generous tolerances so you might get lucky. I believe the special and the S&W cases both have the same rim thickness so you would have to trim either of them if they don't fit.

in the past i have sized .38 S&W cases in a .38 special sizing die to use in mine -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I don't know anything about the 9mm Japanese revolver but the 38 S&W has a fatter case than a 38 Special. I cut down some 38 special cases and fireformed them to use in a 38S&W and while they worked just fine you can see an obvious bulge in the case. But since this is a low pressure cartridge they reload just fine. I do use 38 S&W dies when sizing to avoid overworking the brass.

Since 38 S&W cases are probably unobtainun now I would cut down a 38 special case and see if the rim fits the cylinder. Wartime Japanese firearms can have some generous tolerances so you might get lucky. I believe the special and the S&W cases both have the same rim thickness so you would have to trim either of them if they don't fit.
    38sw is still very available.. Most of what I'm reading is people trying multiple brands of 38sw till they find one with a thinner rim that fits..and then as schutzen said..sizing with a 38spl die

I might have to do that...

Moderator Emeritus

I think the 38 Super has a slightly slimmer rim. No idea if that helps any.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I think the 38 Super has a slightly slimmer rim. No idea if that helps any.
    the resized .38S&W ones will sometime let the ejected case slip under star when ejected, but causes no real problem -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master
    Off the top of my head (I don't think I have ever actually seen one of these) if you have an assortment of .38/9mm ish dies, play around and see what works for you. That is what I do for the .38 Special/.357 Magnum, I think I have somewhere around five or six sets of .38 dies plus the occasional oddball die.

It may not hurt to do chamber casts of your cylinder either.

Robert

Boolit Master

Can't wait till my brass arrives to play with. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Boolit Master

When I first saw this thread, I wondered if 380 rimmed would be useable. I kept quiet because I didn't want to sound stoopid!
    Instead, I started trying to do some research on 380 rimmed. There is not much out there on 380 rimmed. What I did see made it sound possible as it is a 38 S&W substitute. As little of it as there is out there, it might all be as acceptable as the one brand of 38 S&W, or not!

For those of you who have never heard of 380 rimmed, I have heard it is a European thing where civilian firearms can not be chambered in military calibers. So they add a rim and, voila, it is legit! So 380 rimmed, 7x57R, and 8x57R.

Wonder how close it is to 9mm Federal?
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

9x22R Japanese was loaded to LESS than .38 S&W pressure- which is very low.
    According to the Internet…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loaded mine with 2.3 grains of red dot behind 158 grain lead swc with no problems - can't recall where i got the recipe

as they say in latin