WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pythons and accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Longfellow View Post
    Well, a year and another Bullseye season gone since I asked about accuracy of this gun, and I haven't seen one new Python in any of the Harry Reeves, Service Revolver or DR matches; the firing line is still crowded with 14's, including mine. Add to this that there always seems to be one or more workmanship issues with just about every new firearm these days. Here, I would have liked to hear more about the machining "chatter" that one guy here experienced and also hear Heffron's reply. I haven't bought a brand new gun for any of the Bullseye stages, in ten years. I've come close, as I have with this new Python, but there appears to be too little quality control today. Good for pistolsmiths I guess. FYI in a 1960 issue of AR (about six years in to Python manufacture) there is an article in which a dozen or so top Bullseye shooters were asked about their respective equipment. For NRA centerfire, of those not using their 45's, there was one Python shooter and about three shooters using model 14's and an equal number using converted 38 supers. I think I'll just keep my money in the bank; there's little chance it seems that this new revolver will significantly reduce the 3.5 inch groups I'm currently getting out of my 14-3 at fifty yards (Ransom Rest). Thank you all for this lively exchange.
    Have you posted on the Bullseye L Forum? There is a thread there that covers much of what you say here.
    Al Miller did a series of articles in Handloader Magazine in the early 1970s that strictly discussed the 38 Special and Bullseye shooting. There was an article on case prep, another called “Wadcutters or?….”, and another that was a Ransom Rest shoot-off @50 yds using a couple Model 52s and a few K-38s. All Smiths, no Colts.
    You might enjoy reading those!
    People seem happy with Mike’s work. Glad to hear it, as his blogs sometimes sound like nothing more than empty advertising. But, where are the results that correlate with his claims?
    And, is anybody using these new Pythons for serious match use, specifically “ Harry Reeves, Service Revolver or DR matches”?

By the way, just to talk about barrels, it seems to have been forgotten that at least through the 1950s, S&W used to hand lap their K-38 barrels using a lead lap and very fine lapping compound, for best performance with cast bullets.

And, don’t forget about your reloading set-up!
    Star reloaders could be ordered built and tuned to your exact bullet choice and diameter, which incidentally, could be coordinated with the order of a matching H&G mold.

One last thought: I feel pretty lucky to have gotten started with Bullseye when I was very young. I got to learn firsthand from a lot of “Old School” Bullseye shooters. In all the years I’ve been shooting I have only ever known ONE guy who shot Bullseye with a Python. That was back in the mid-80s. He bought his Python new in the late 1960s. That’s it.
    I’ve seen more old Korths and Manurhin MR73s (not that they’re exactly plentiful!)
    Last edited by 6string; 06-24-2024 at 10:47 PM.