MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to still use traditional lube?

Boolit Master
    I do both. For batch pistol bullets that don't need to be sized PC is great. I also have a bore riding mold for the .308 that is PC'd and shoots as well as any of my lubed bullets. No, not better, but, just as good. I like the PC on the bore riding portion instead of just lead touching the lands. My other favorite .308 bullet is not a bore rider and it gets run through the lubesizer. It is faster to make up than the multi-step process for a bore rider.

FWIW, I have done some extensive testing with PC and lubed in my .308 and the performance is close enough I can't tell the difference. Consistently under 1 1/2 MOA out to 200yd and under 2MOA at 500yd for both. I get frequent groups near MOA at 500yd, just not all the time

If I were not using a lube sizer I'd get rid of it. Plenty of folks will pay for one, just look at how fast they sell in the classified section. But, I am also a minimalist. If I haven't used something in a year or two I sell it or give it away.

Bottom line is, if you like doing the PC then keep doing it. Doesn't hurt anything and performance is on par with lubed. If you like to lube and not PC then keep at it. No one is making you change.

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I came back home
    after coating everything I have came back to my Lyman 450 and traditional lubing
    it's just easier and cleaner and faster, it also helps when your gun that you are shooting can shoot the boolits without leaving a coating of lead in the barrel, of course everything has to be just rite for that to happen and apparently it is
    I don't see how it can be cleaner, perhaps easier and faster.
    If you are getting leading with PC you might be doing something wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    never said I got leading with pc
    you are a shake and baker and have obviously never used a spray pc gun
    that my friend is messy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    never said I got leading with pc
    you are a shake and baker and have obviously never used a spray pc gun
    that my friend is messy
    No, I have not tried to spray PC.
    The shake and bake has worked fine for me so far.
    I do have a PC sprayer, but never have used it, afraid it would get PC all over the place.
    As I had said before, I believe both lube and PC have their merits, but neither are the end all.

Boolit Master

If you're planning for the zombie apocalypse, most of us could probably whip up a batch of effective bullet lube out of axle grease and crayons. Where's your PC coming from?

Also, even if the lube application aspect is ignored, a Lyman 450 is still a sizing press. That has it's uses.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    If you're planning for the zombie apocalypse, most of us could probably whip up a batch of effective bullet lube out of axle grease and crayons. Where's your PC coming from?

Also, even if the lube application aspect is ignored, a Lyman 450 is still a sizing press. That has it's uses.
    I doubt if anyone is going to have much time for reloading during your "Zombie Apocalypse" or any other apocalypse for that matter.
    Of course, if you did find time you could render down a fat zombie for the fat to make your lube.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    I may be something of an outlier here, but I find making the ammunition more fun than using it.
    I'm with you there in your first sentence, but we have differing views thereafter. Having reached Geezer status I'm sometimes accused of being a bit set in my ways, unfairly of course. It's just that there are some ways of doing some things, and that's all there is to say about it. I learned from day one in 1975 that cast boolits lubed with NRA 50/50 Alox was the King James version of the Gospel truth, and nearly 50 years later nothing serious has caused me to question that conviction.

I'll admit I have dallied with paper patching, but found nothing to convince me it achieved any better results or was any easier than traditional lubing (Lee Liquid Alox included). My take on the powder coating fad is that it's probably going to be about the same for me, but worse. I'd have to buy all of the "new" stuff to make PC work, and I'm already set up with everything for lubing, for no gain. If I need to exceed 2300 fps, I have more J-boolits collecting dust in the garage than are on the shelf at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Heck, I even have a few boxes of 9mm boolits that look like red lipstick.

I make my own lubes, make my own gas checks, have a lifetime supply of real beeswax, and like the smell and smoke. Casting and lubing for everything from .22 Hornet to 12 ga, with a slew of pistols, rifles and BP cartridge guns in between works for me without having to coat my lead babies with plastic.

Closing thoughts: Boolit lube is good for your skin and I've found it to be an excellent wood screw lube too. Someone once said that smokeless powder is just a passing fad. I think the same is true with powder coating.
    Last edited by muskeg13; 06-22-2024 at 06:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    I'm with you there in your first sentence, but we have differing views thereafter. Having reached Geezer status I'm sometimes accused of being a bit set in my ways, unfairly of course. It's just that there are some ways of doing some things, and that's all there is to say about it. I learned from day one in 1975 that cast boolits lubed with NRA 50/50 Alox was the King James version of the Gospel truth, and nearly 50 years later nothing serious has caused be to question that conviction.

I'll admit I have dallied with paper patching, but found nothing to convince me it achieved any better results or was any easier than traditional lubing (Lee Liquid Alox included). My take on the powder coating fad is that it's probably going to be about the same for me, but worse. I'd have to buy all of the "new" stuff to make PC work, and I'm already set up with everything for lubing, for no gain. If I need to exceed 2300 fps, I have more J-boolits collecting dust in the garage than are on the shelf at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Heck, I even have a few boxes of 9mm boolits that look like red lipstick.

I make my own lubes, make my own gas checks, have a lifetime supply of real beeswax, and like the smell and smoke. Casting and lubing for everything from .22 Hornet to 12 ga, with a slew of pistols, rifles and BP cartridge guns in between works for me without having to coat my lead babies with plastic.

Closing thoughts: Boolit lube is good for your skin and I've found it to be an excellent wood screw lube too. Someone once said that smokeless powder is just a passing fad. I think the same is true with powder coating.
    I like this Post, as It mirrors most, of my views!! But, I stand by, "Younger, and those who Have Not been doing this as long...are Sure that PC is the Best/Only Way" !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I like this Post, as It mirrors most, of my views!! But, I stand by, "Younger, and those who Have Not been doing this as long...are Sure that PC is the Best/Only Way" !!!
    If we're talking about the best/only newfangled way, I thought that was copper jackets.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I'm only 71 and I like PC. But, I also like the lubed ones. Just depends on what I am making the bullets for. And, yes, I shoot a lot of the 'modern' jacketed bullets too.

I also have to admit that I was an engineer, so nothing is perfect and everything must be made better

Boolit Master

For several years I was satisfied with the old Lyman 450 though it had its drawbacks. Came by a couple of Stars that made everything easier & simplified & speeded things up a bit. Then I discovered PC & went for it. Still have my Stars & when I really want a special load, I PC & then size/lube those boolits. Only do that when I'm looking for the smallest group. Big Boomer

I Love powder coating, I started it back when everyone else started but my reason was that my grandchildren lived with me and I had thousands and thousands of lead bullets laying around. I didnt like the thought of one of them coming across them and touching them as kids will do. Lead is so much worse for little ones. So I powder coated them and let them know that it is still not good to touch until they are older. I have caught the middle one with one in his hand so I am glad I PC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240616_135554.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	327924

I did run into a problem with both bullets for the 30-30, The nose is .299 which is fine if I lube them but PCing makes them 304 and they jam into the rifleing, Unless I figure out a way to nose size them like I did my 45-70 bullets... I will have to keep lubing them.

Oh and if you PC and then add a GC, especially the aluminum ones (they dont grab on like the copper ones) I put them back in the toaster oven at 400 for between 5 and 10 minutes and then let them cool. Makes the checks stick on a lot better. This was me trying to get the gas check off to remelt the bullet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240616_093918.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	327925

Boolit Master
    Why take a gas check off when remelting bullets? It will float to the top. BUT, I was waiting till the end of the thread to mention this, I bet those that mine the berms for lead are just loving the powder coat when it is time to smelt the lead!!!!! I seriously doubt burning plastic makes a good flux.

Boolit Master
    My lubrisizer came out of retirement yesterday evening. It is still full of Felix World Famous Lube. I now have a batch of 38 caliber lead boolits all ready to go through my Rossi 357 lever action carbine.

Some very knowledgeable people here and at the Cast Bullet Association have convinced me lubed bullets can be more accurate than coated ones. I'm gonna give it a try.

It was really nice using that old Lyman 450 again. Felt like running into an old friend.

Boolit Master
    Powder coating covers defects. Lubing, not so much.

No oven no coatings so I keep my Star around.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Horse View Post
    Powder coating covers defects. Lubing, not so much.
    If it has a defect bad enough that it affects -anything- other than cosmetic..then it needs to be melted..not have makeup put on it hiding the problem.

Depends on if I'm feeling lazy. Some BLL does wonders.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. WANT TO BUY land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    If it has a defect bad enough that it affects -anything- other than cosmetic..then it needs to be melted..not have makeup put on it hiding the problem.
    Classic! Two thumbs up!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I powder coat plinking ammo. My tendency is to dump a mess of boolits into the yogurt container and shake.

When I'm running boolits through the luberisizer they tend to each get a bit more of an inspection. That's what I meant.