RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners

Thread: How to fix this rear sight?

How to fix this rear sight?

Wanting to make this rear sight a bit more friendly. Sitting on an early Remington rolling block carbine.

I replaced the front sight with a taller marbles with a gold bead, carbine was at one time chambered in 43 spanish, relined to 44 wcf. So it was shooting way low at 50 yards. The marbles has put it on paper out to 100 yards, good enough for the cowboy silhouette shoots.

The problem I having with the rear sight is cut to match the original pin point front sight, so when sighting I must set the bead of the marbles in the valley of the sight not right down in the center cut of the sight then adjust how much bead I see at the different ranges, mainly below 50 yards. Been doing decent this way but seems I cannot keep it centered sometimes due to not seeing the full bead.

Wondering if I can just cut a square slot in the center of the sight "V" for better visibility for the front bead?? I do have a spare leaf I can modify.

I did mock up a soule sight I have but with the carbine stock I have problems getting my thumb around the wrist of the rifle with it on there.

And honestly I really don't want to modify the rifle itself by drilling holes in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3296.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	327776

Boolit Grand Master

I dont think that the sight is hardened so you should be able to rework to what you want. A second leaf is good so you dont have to modify the original. I think I would cut a u in the vee to depth and size so I seen a even line of light around the bead centered on the target. The sight is steel so if needed it could be tig welded up to give the needed material. I also believe you should cut the u at a shallow angle of 4-5 degrees so you have a sharp edge facing you to cut reflections. If you wanted the entire vee could be filled in with tig allowing you to form what ever you want.If you dont have access to a mill pick up a set of fine jewelers files and it should go good.

You might try using some thin shim stock that could be super glued to the back edge of the existing sight. You could file a thin square notch in it first, and then cut the shim material to shape and just stick it on. This way it wont be permanent until you try it out and know what works.
    After you've decided what works you can then do permanent mods to the existing sight.

Boolit Master
    Good call Val. I have done exactly what he said, then removed the stock, cleaned both surfaces off of the glue, and used some paste silver solder to solder it on with a propane torch. I use a C clamp or machinist clamp to hold it in place while heating it up. I have done this numerous times on ML rifles where the owner had gotten to zealous in filing the back sight and got it to low. Never had one come loose

Boolit Master
    I like MM93's approach, I would just be a little cheaper. 3x5 card or similar painted flat black and double sided tape to back face playing with notch size, just a little higher over the original with shouldered weapon.

Old soda pop cans can be used also and the aluminum cuts easily with scissors too. Then just blacken the aluminum with a black felt pen to try it out.

Boolit Master

Hacksaw, dremel tool, jewelers file. Myself, I would be using a small end mill in the milling machine.

Boolit Mold
    I have made smaller apertures on peep sights using JB Weld. Fill in and drill smaller hole! Maybe you can fill in the "V" with JB and make what ever picture you want with the JB. Nice thing about that if you make a mistake just fill in and start over!