WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: saeco for molde #630 140 gr. fp 30-30 win

saeco for molde #630 140 gr. fp 30-30 win

anyone use this boolit I have had excellent results with bullseye and herco powders from my cowboy model 26 inch bbl.

How much Bullseye using with that 30-30? I've been using Bullseye with 150 grain plain base bullet and 308 Winchester it's my favorite plinking load right now.

6gr. reddot work well

I'm using 6.5 Grains of Bullseye with pistol primers.

is that with large pistol primers?

Yes

Boolit Master
    I don't have the #630, but I do have the #316 which is the gas checked version of that bullet. I'm doing load development with VV 133 powder, but this is for faster loads than I think would work for your plain based bullet. I would think that light loads with Unique, Herco, bullseye, red dot, or green dot might work well with your bullet. 2400 might be an option too.

my red dot load works out to 100 yards on woodchucks havent gone any further than that punches rate thru no expansion with air cooled ww.am guising 1200 fps or slightly more.

ADMIN

merged 2 threads into one
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

I have a few 30 cal moulds, all iron, but my favorites, right now, is the RCBS Silhouette flat nose bullet line, 150, 165, 180 grain and 10 grains of Unique in the 30-30. Miquelon works with all three weighs. On occasion, I load sperical buffer, half way up the neck over the Uniques and compress it with the bullet, holds the powder on the primer better and mproves distance accuracy.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Rapier: What are you using for the buffer? I've used a 1 grain puff of poly-fil on other cartridges, but it seems like a granular buffer might be a better choice in the 30-30. I'm out of Unique, but have some red dot. I'm thinking about a 1200 to 1300 fps charge using the RCBS 30-165-Sil in a bolt action.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why would anyone need a filler with Red Dot ?

Boolit Master
    Good point Ben. Red Dot would not need a filler. One of the other powders that I'd like to experiment with is VV 3N38, which has a burning rate near Blue Dot, but supposedly isn't as prone to pressure excursions when nearing maximum charges. 3N38 is a fine grained ball powder, and would probably benefit from a filler to keep the charge near the flash hole. I don't plan on using a maximum charge with any powder in any caliber - ever. But there is usually an incremental increase in powder charges while seeking out the amount that will provide a complete burn of the powder charge, plus best accuracy. The possible advantage of 3N38 over Blue Dot is that it's pressure curve is (supposedly) more linear, and a half grain increase in powder while doing this isn't as likely to cause a dramatic increase in pressure. The case volume of a 30-30 is big enough that smaller charges of faster powder might benefit from a filler. Old school methods like using cream of wheat were recommended in reloading books for straight walled cartridges, but are not a very good idea in bottle necked cartridges, except for case forming. I'm assuming that Rapier is using a shotgun buffer, but wanted to make sure.