Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burnt motor on Magma Bullet Master?

Moderator Emeritus

The "speed" potentiometer has a white cable, follow that to the motor controller. The controller may not look like the one I posted a link to, that is just one style, probably the most popular style.
    Anyway, it's either in the middle bottom box, or somewhere else.
    I am unfamiliar with the Magma Bullet Master.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The "speed" potentiometer has a white cable, follow that to the motor controller. The controller may not look like the one I posted a link to, that is just one style, probably the most popular style.
    Anyway, it's either in the middle bottom box, or somewhere else.
    I am unfamiliar with the Magma Bullet Master.
    Thanks!

Sent fra min Pixel 8 via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Found the control box for the motor. Must be this right? Any measurements I can take with a multimeter to chech if it's fried?

Nope, no measurements, brushless DC gear motor. Output transistors may be fried. I'd check the user group for recommendations.
    Delete my comments. single phase motor, PWM controlled. Thought it was multi-phased.
    Last edited by popper; 06-22-2024 at 11:46 AM.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    Found the control box for the motor. Must be this right? Any measurements I can take with a multimeter to chech if it's fried?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    No, I didn't wait a whole day but 2 hours. That didn't work, the fused tripped again and it made a rattling sound. I could try to plug it in tomorrow and see
    I don't think you'd hear a rattling sound if the controller was fried. But, if you understand electricity, you can disconnect the motor wires from the controller at terminal A1 and A2. Then attempt to power it up. You should have 0 to 90 volts DC at those A1 and A2 terminals, varying with the "speed" knob position. You may need to have the multi-meter set to AC, because the 90 volts DC is actually a pulsating DC and without the motor connected to smooth that out, it may not read DC volts, but may read as AC volts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    Between a1 and a2 it measures 103 Vac no matter what speed it is on

Moderator Emeritus

OK, that's the pulse height...I guess that doesn't change, but what does change is the width of the pulse on the high side, as the speed dial increases. So anyway, if the controller was fried, that would have been zero. Do you get any reading of DC volts with the dial at MAX speed ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    OK, that's the pulse height...I guess that doesn't change, but what does change is the width of the pulse on the high side, as the speed dial increases. So anyway, if the controller was fried, that would have been zero. Do you get any reading of DC volts with the dial at MAX speed ?
    It measures 150Vdc. Is that right? I get the same reading no matter what the speed controller is set at

Moderator Emeritus

I would think the value would change, but maybe there is something I am over looking? I'm not sure what else to tell you, except, I don't know if that is right?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy
    There appear to be a direct part number cross on EBay for $1000+

There is also this but I’m not sure if it’s correct I’d want to see the whole motor tag and do a little checking if it will fit:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27641001558...mis&media=COPY

Boolit Buddy
    Here is one with the Mirarik Part Number. Has some kind of shaft adapter on the end.

Again, no experience with these sellers. You just don’t have many options when trying to buy one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36413315197...mis&media=COPY

Boolit Buddy
    Actually that Dayton Motor is available from Zoro new for under $500. That may be better since it’s new. Only problem is Zoro doesn’t export and Grainger only sells to businesses.

Boolit Master

Always worth checking surplus center for motors!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by j4570 View Post
    Actually that Dayton Motor is available from Zoro new for under $500. That may be better since it’s new. Only problem is Zoro doesn’t export and Grainger only sells to businesses.
    They changed that at least ten years ago however they have two tier pricing, and the differences can be significant.

https://www.toolsadvisor.org/can-any...0at%20Grainger.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for clarification on Grainger. I hadn’t tried in a while. Zero is owned by Grainger and usually cheaper. And your stuff ships from Grainger.

To the original poster, let us know how it works out.