Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unintentional Winchester 67

Boolit Master

Unintentional Winchester 67

Well, about a week ago Anderson (AR stuff) sends email about a sale, Trump hair on the Punisher big logo on RH side of lower, struck a funny bone. Like I need another AR but could not help myself so I bought two, $34 bucks a piece plus shipping not too bad. I get an email from my store they have arrived and ready for pickup but I see they kicked up transfer to $45 plus $5 for call. This kind of chapped my butt, but I went in nice and started the process on laptop and looking over counter I see the 67 and ask to fondle it. Oh my, 35'-37' vintage, bluing honest 100%, bolt looks like it was chromed yesterday, honest rubs and a few scratches on wood, mint bore and sling mounts installed (?) and a tag at $130. Well I am weak and said add this, he then informs me that since I am making a firearm purchase they will drop the transfer fee. One each sweet Win 67, transfer of two consecutive S/N lowers out the door for a buck forty two and change. Yes I did stop on way home and bought a scratch off and doubled my money, Woo-hoo! I then went in house, took shoes and pants off and landed in recliner hoping for nothing to break or no bad phone calls until tomorrow so this day would be a total success, it was! My Grandfather bought my father a 67 in 1940 at a hardware store in Topeka Kansas, that is the rifle I was introduced to and taught/shown the way. It is here and rubbed and loved to this day and here is a found cousin he can hang out with, have two grandsons and now two 67's, win win!

Great find & great little rifle.
    I have a 67A that was my Christmas present when I was 13.

Boolit Grand Master
    A Model 67A was the first real gun I ever shot.

You did extremely well on the price in my opinion. I haven't seen a decent (or even poor) condition name brand single shot .22 for less than $200 for years.

Robert

Boolit Master

Yes, I have had a 67a since the early 70's. I bought it from a fellow worker who got it for his 8th birthday from his grandfather and had never shot it. But it has been shot now, many hundreds of rounds and it is still accurate and in great shape. No scratches, no dings or breaks. I like it. james

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I love it when a plan comes together , that was right nice of the store to drop the transfer fee .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

They charged you for the phone call? WTH?

unintended also -

my main accumulation is Remington 510,511, 512,513, +521's that i currently have over 30, but i also buy anything that is a good deal -in .22 i also have Marlins, Stevens, Mossburg, Llama, Ruger + etc. got these 2 model 67's 6 months ago for $40.00 - bores are perfect, but i have not shot them yet - the one with modified stock was claimed to be from Amish farm -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2086.JPG   DSCN2085.JPG  
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 06-18-2024 at 03:02 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

That Amish gun will rest on a hay bale from the looks of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amish stock mods -

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That Amish gun will rest on a hay bale from the looks of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i never thought of that - the woodwork + finish are first class - the entire stock was slimmed down evenly, as you can see by the cheek piece + pistol grip palm swell - still wondering why i purchased them , but glad i did -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2087.JPG   DSCN2088.JPG  
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I can remember it vividly, that scratchy green wool Army blanket and a pillow case stuffed with rolled up towels and Dad laying next to me. This was over fifty years ago when he introduced me to the Win 67, and it was a big day for me! Probably some kind of disorder was created at that moment due to the fact that I could fill a barrel with just the 22 LR single shots that have followed me home over the years. Used to pick them up for twenty five to fifty bucks, garage sales, pawn shops, etc.. Something I find to be pure, simplistic, with the one in one out platform and knowing you have only that one shot. It gets worse, one of the Stevens 15's has a squibbed barrel about six inches out. It's in the pile of kind of soon post retirement projects, take one of the Marlin micro groove tubes and cut back down and install on the 15 rear and put a tight chamber in it.

Boolit Master

My Dad gave me one in 1967 that he bought used for $2.00. I still have it and it would probably be the last one I would let go.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 67 also from the 1930s vintage. The outside is a little rough, really not too bad, but the bore is bright and shiny. Shoots lights out when I can get the light right on the sights. I have said many times that the Winchester 67 will be one the absolute last guns I would part with. I had a 67a in the late 1960s that my Dad gave $15.00 for. It was a very nice rifle, but I wouldn't trade the old rough looking 67 that I have now.

Boolit Master
    One thing I kind of figured out while being seduced by the been around a while 22 LR single shots, bore condition. It could have stood in that corner for a couple decades, an even orange haze to entire exterior but with a mint bore. Also the added bonus of telling them how abused it has been with all the exterior rust and hopefully pulling down the out of pocket. The early ammo being lead and lubed seasoning the barrel, good for us. And usually found that kind of treating exterior like a browning episode, I would strip and oil the barrel and take to my magic wire wheel. Buffing out a very good looking middle of the road finish, touch crown for effect, and if the wood was worthy give it a strip, stain and seal. I would usually end up with a great little shooter.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Well, about a week ago Anderson (AR stuff) sends email about a sale, Trump hair on the Punisher big logo on RH side of lower, struck a funny bone. Like I need another AR but could not help myself so I bought two, $34 bucks a piece plus shipping not too bad. I get an email from my store they have arrived and ready for pickup but I see they kicked up transfer to $45 plus $5 for call. This kind of chapped my butt, but I went in nice and started the process on laptop and looking over counter I see the 67 and ask to fondle it. Oh my, 35'-37' vintage, bluing honest 100%, bolt looks like it was chromed yesterday, honest rubs and a few scratches on wood, mint bore and sling mounts installed (?) and a tag at $130. Well I am weak and said add this, he then informs me that since I am making a firearm purchase they will drop the transfer fee. One each sweet Win 67, transfer of two consecutive S/N lowers out the door for a buck forty two and change. Yes I did stop on way home and bought a scratch off and doubled my money, Woo-hoo! I then went in house, took shoes and pants off and landed in recliner hoping for nothing to break or no bad phone calls until tomorrow so this day would be a total success, it was! My Grandfather bought my father a 67 in 1940 at a hardware store in Topeka Kansas, that is the rifle I was introduced to and taught/shown the way. It is here and rubbed and loved to this day and here is a found cousin he can hang out with, have two grandsons and now two 67's, win win!
    Gtek -- you did well! I have both a 67 and a 67A; your 67 was introduced at a whopping $5.50 price in 1934! When you open the bolt, it cocks, which was changed in the 67A which cocks as the bolt is closed (so I have read). Easy to clean, pretty durn accurate for a rifle which may be (hard to determine sans any serial numbers) anywhere up to ninety years old! Mine does its best with CCI MiniMag .22s... It does not like the copper-jacketed ,22s.
    Again, happy for you!
    geo

I found a finger groove stock to go on a decent Model 67 barrel/action last year. Have two now. A great .22. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0707.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	327839

Boolit Master

I have the 67a and it neither cocks on opening or closing. You have to manually pull the cocking knob back to cock it. The manual safety only works when the rifle is cocked, you cannot put it on safety unless you first pull the cocking knob back to cock it. It has no serial number so I do not know when it was made. It does have a proof mark on the forward receiver ring and on the bolt, just barely fusible when the bolt is closed. My 67a does not have the finger grooves on the fore end as Baltimoreed's picture. But it is a very accurate .22. I can easily hit grapes at 50 feet with it. Before my buddy died of cancer, he made two wooden blocks about 8"'s square and inletted a penny in the middle of each block and brought them to the range one day. I shot one penny with my Winchester 67a and he shot one penny with his Remington Model 10?( a single shot .22 ). Then we took each others pennies home to remember the good times we had together when we were growing up. We were more like brothers than next door neighbors. He died a few months after that day and I will hold on to the penny he shot until I am gone. So my 67a has a lot of memories attached to it. james

Boolit Master
    My 67 is just like Tnsailorman’s. It was my brother’s who died when I was 2 yrs old ( I’m now 76). Was my first rifle to hunt with. Got to the point where you had to hold the bolt down and pull forward on it at the same time or it wouldn’t fire. About 25 yrs ago I took it to a local gunsmith to see if it could be repaired. He took out a mallet and whacked the back of the receiver and it’s worked perfectly ever since.

Boolit Master
    I find it fascinating and love to hear every story with the connections from a piece of wood with some steel in it to something or someone cherished. I guess you probably need to have the "Firearm Genetics" to begin with to feel. The tribe I run with there is everything from 150 year old Mauser's all the way through Class lll's with cans, and with all that I can say with confidence everyone of them has an I will never sell piece from someone. When we were doing the shows for years and would have a couple Garand's on the table, back when the Greatest Generation was still actively with us. One fellow said "I will never pick up another one of those as long as I live, carried one of them SOB's half way across a country". Another would pick up and turn slightly and go into a stare off in the distance. Not sure I would have enjoyed the movie playing out behind those eyes but we let them have their moment. And back to some of those great powers that can be stored in that piece of wood with some steel in it!

Boolit Master

A friend gave me a Winchester Model 67 quite a few years ago. But it is missing the bolt! Never was able to find a bolt. Maybe someday when I grow up! Am 78 now. Guess my grandson will inherit this old 67 with no bolt. Years ago parents would remove the bolts out of the rifles and forget where they hid them. Could that explain why there are so many guns in estates without a bolt??

try a want ad here - also ebay has them at times -

as they say in latin