Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad, Bad, Rocky Racoon!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yup, and I wouldn’t blame them on a predator ripping them out of the trap either because they’re all still sticking straight up in the ground. So something super small, twisting its arm off I would imagine. Would guess after they break and go numb. They just twist them off. I’ve had a few possums with busted arms and raccoons that almost got away with their arms half ripped off in them. Same if it’s just a toe catch… they’ll just tear or chew them off. I had a giant raccoon chew its toes off inna duke 650 when I got drawn for bobcat hunting a few years ago. I had a camera sitting in front of it so I got to watch the whole show. Two days later in a duke 550. Biggest Raccoon I’ve ever seen. Had the pelt tanned. The pelt is as long as my bobcat tanned and longer then my grey fox I got that year bow hunting.

Boolit Master

Caught one skunk in a Havaheart. It was against the well house, so I came up from the other side, peeked around the corner. The skunk was looking the other way, so I eased the barrel of my .22 down to the trap into an opening. At the shot he/she collapsed so I waited a few minutes before removing the trap down the road a ways and then emptied it.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

About a table spoon of black oil seed sunflower seed in a jelly jar lid and a trickle of a dozen seeds out the front of the trap ............. or get this :
    https://flemingtraps.com/coon-catcher-lure-1-oz.html (again the proper deployment with this coon bait is to put a half hand full of your cat food in a sandwich baggie and put a cap full of bait in on top of the cat food and zip it closed and worry the bag around impregnating the cat food then place in the jar lid a tea spoon of now treated cat food)
    They have fish oil also but it is an attractant for smell but the coon actually DOES NOT like the taste of it and you don't really need it
    as the coon is already coming to you

It will be important to keep the lid centered from the sides and the dead back so the coon cannot reach in ..depending on your trap you may need to anchor the lid possibly with wire or short sheet metal screw thru the lid into the trigger plate...

Or if you buy from Flemming go ahead and get 1 or 2 dog proofs and a trap setting tool (will require termination of course):
    https://flemingtraps.com/duke-dog-pr...coon-trap.html
    https://flemingtraps.com/duke-dp-set-tool.htm
    Do not feel bad about termination as the Conservation Dept's everywhere are in a con-drum as there are now few hunters/trappers of coons ...the populations are enormous and some think a wirdfire type rabies event is on the horizon
    ...Not to mention the destruction to wild turkey and upland game birds

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Yup, and I wouldn’t blame them on a predator ripping them out of the trap either because they’re all still sticking straight up in the ground. So something super small, twisting its arm off I would imagine. Would guess after they break and go numb. They just twist them off. I’ve had a few possums with busted arms and raccoons that almost got away with their arms half ripped off in them. Same if it’s just a toe catch… they’ll just tear or chew them off. I had a giant raccoon chew its toes off inna duke 650 when I got drawn for bobcat hunting a few years ago. I had a camera sitting in front of it so I got to watch the whole show. Two days later in a duke 550. Biggest Raccoon I’ve ever seen. Had the pelt tanned. The pelt is as long as my bobcat tanned and longer then my grey fox I got that year bow hunting.
    I have used a few leg hold traps and a bat to put down a lot Raccoons and yotes, but like body traps better.

Boolit Master

A single six and a box of 22 shorts works great
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I set a small cat food can flush with the ground, then set the live trap on top with the can directly under the trip platform.
    I use meow mix and a bit of marshmallow for bait.
    I wire the trap to the fence to prevent the tree pigs from carrying it away…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Caught plenty in live traps best bait (grape jelly) on a slice of bread....when they are in the sweet corn .

Boolit Grand Master

That marlin fly bait coca cola mix was referred to as 3 step around here as thats about all the animals made. I dont normally use poisons as they arnt selective. Neighbors pets and desirable critters can be released from the live traps.

Boolit Master
    Purposely poisoning wildlife is illegal in most states. I'd never recommend do that.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep, I wouldn’t try it. I’ve just been told about it. I’d feel awful bad if somebody’s pet got it let alone if bald eagle ate one of the animals that drank it. Too many cool beneficial wildlife animals and pets that might accidentally get into it.