Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: High riser high shooter

High riser high shooter

I have a custom Mauser 6.5x57 Mauser. It has a bent bolt, 1.24 inch high under scope. So I compensated for it with a high Chinese riser. Perfect for it, really me and necessary. But it shoots high. So I got a lower ring for the front one, bore sighted and scope is in the ball park. What will it do at 100, 200? How can I sight it in?
    The scope has 12 inches of elevation. Tell me something about high mounts. I don’t have a picture of the mount. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	327696

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Did you try two piece Mauser mounts?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Why not get the bolt handle properly altered for a scope?

Boolit Grand Master
    If you put a lower front ring on, the rifle will shoot even higher. you need to move the front in the opposite direction of the desired bullet strike. Remember rear sight same, front sight opposite.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    +1 Froggie

Boolit Master

K43 gave you good advice! I would saw that bolt off in a heartbeat and alter it or go to Brownells and buy a replacement handle that will clear the scope. Know anyone that TIG welds?? Have them weld the replacement handle where you want it so you will have clearance. Changing the scope rings is a Mickey Mouse way to fix your problem plus the miss-alignment of your scope tube.

Boolit Master
    Sounds to me like a crushed scope tube is in your future. A fitted bolt handle should make you happy for the long haul!

Boolit Grand Master

different height scope rings will put the scope holes in different planes both are flat but different heights. scope will be in a bind. You need to shim under back of mount base to keep it in line. Depending on amount of shim it may not zero at 100 yds. Basically your adding minute of angle to the base doing this. On my long range rifles I have 20 moa bases the scopes wont zero at 100 and barely at 200. But they are centered at 600 and get to 1000 plus. The other with the tall scope is your going to loose check weld on the stock unless it has a very high comb.

I agree that having the bolt handle changed and low rings and bases are the better option. Another option thats becoming out dated is a good set of iron sights. A nice globe and rear aperture.

If you have a bolt handle bending jig with a heat sink, the bolt handle can be heated red hot then properly bent, swept and polished for a Mauser, like pictured, without cutting and welding.
    The scope base should be mounted level front to back, with the scope ring bottoms level front to back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0659.jpg   IMG_0550.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Gobeyond: You're moving in the wrong direction. First, as other's have pointed out, the proper fix is to get a proper bolt handle that doesn't interfere with the scope. If doing this is beyond your means you should seek out a gunsmith that can do this for you. Using a higher mount and higher rings means that you will not be able to get a proper cheek weld with your stock. It will make your rifle awkward to shoot accurately. Also, as other's have pointed out, if you have one of the scope rings at a different elevation to each other, ie: a high ring on one end and a medium ring on the other, this will bend your scope tube damaging (or destroying) your scope. Shimming the scope base, or using a base that increases MOA is an option, but you should probably just loose the Chinese high base as it's already going to be holding the scope too high for good ergonomics.

If you lift the rear of a scope base up, you'll have to aim the rifle higher to compensate - thus your point of impact will be raised. If you raise the front of a scope base you'll have to aim lower to compensate and the point of impact will be lower. If, for instance, the scope when mounted is not in good alignment with the bore of the barrel, a set of Burris Z rings can be beneficial because they have eccentric inserts in the scope rings that can be used to align the scope without putting any bending loads on it. Weaver makes "windage adjustable" rings, but these will impart a bending load on the scope. All of these scope adjustment tricks are basically band-aids to try and correct for the wrong type of bolt handle. If you have the handle corrected you will be able to use a standard base with medium rings, and will have a good sight picture without having to hold your head above the stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Since it’s a one piece base you can put a shim between the front of THE BASE AND THE ACTION. Then use a matching ring set on the base. This will allow you to properly mount the scope in the rings without stressing the scope tube. My inclination is that you are trying to mount a newer scope with a large diameter ocular and/or power ring. If your scope is now clear of the bolt handle with your Chinese pic rail and you can see through it, it will probably work for you. If it’s a heavy recoiling rifle be sure the shims, rail and receiver are good and clean.

Thanks for answering back. The best thing would be bend the bolt. The only thing that would work. And you agree. The gun was bought with open sights. I’ve heard on YouTube that bolt handles can break. So where could I get a new weldable tactical bolt handle? I’ve tried a lot of places…

Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    Since it’s a one piece base you can put a shim between the front of THE BASE AND THE ACTION. Then use a matching ring set on the base. This will allow you to properly mount the scope in the rings without stressing the scope tube. My inclination is that you are trying to mount a newer scope with a large diameter ocular and/or power ring. If your scope is now clear of the bolt handle with your Chinese pic rail and you can see through it, it will probably work for you. If it’s a heavy recoiling rifle be sure the shims, rail and receiver are good and clean.
    That can be done. How big of shim, just a close estimate…

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    That can be done. How big of shim, just a close estimate…
    A buddy told me an .011 shim would work. I’ll try it but I’m having the bolt done. A new handle with a threaded knob, blued.
    Thanks for the suggestion, and all the backup.