Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cronograph selection

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Makes the Garmin look dirt cheap, and you are still shooting through screens.
    The whole idea is to get rid of the screens and have easy setup and likely actually use.

Boolit Master
    My large action shooting club has several ProChrono’s. The reason we have several is that they regularly get shot by folks who forget their scope/dot offsets.

Then we got a LabRadar. Turns out it doesn’t work well in the very confined space we use as a chrono bay.

We now have a pair of Garmins (two needed for the major match we just ran) and love them. Easy to set up and use, nothing down range to take a hit, consistent readings within a couple fps at pistol velocities.

Being so small and eminently portable, they’re limited access only, with the ProChrono’s available for everyday use.

Kevin, I assume from your consistency comment that you've used both of them on the same shot simultaneously. Are the discrepancies random, or is one always higher than the other?

Boolit Grand Master

My traditional older chrono works just fine. The issue is it's a pain to set-up every time, so it only gets used for serious load development. I will be purchasing one of the new style Chrono's but I am holding out for one that can calculate BC's.

With the new style pocket chrono I would use it 100% of the time I am shooting from a bench.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

You know, they said horseless carriages will never catch on.
    Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    My traditional older chrono works just fine. The issue is it's a pain to set-up every time, so it only gets used for serious load development. I will be purchasing one of the new style Chrono's but I am holding out for one that can calculate BC's.

With the new style pocket chrono I would use it 100% of the time I am shooting from a bench.
    I would think this could be accomplished with a software update and perhaps a new app with the Garmin, for an added price, I'm sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    Kevin, I assume from your consistency comment that you've used both of them on the same shot simultaneously. Are the discrepancies random, or is one always higher than the other?
    I’m just parroting what my chrono stage buddies told me; my duties at the match meant I didn’t hang out there. Easy enough for me to ask them that question and get back to you, if you can give me a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I would think this could be accomplished with a software update and perhaps a new app with the Garmin, for an added price, I'm sure.

If I've understood correctly, this new Garmin or new compact LaRadar (was it LX?) are not able to provide bc because they don' t measure far enough, measuring range ends somewhere few tens of yards downrange. But I think FX True Ballistics is available for you, if you want to take a look, this is just random seller pick-up linked from internet search:
    https://utahairguns.com/product/fx-o...s-chronograph/

I'm still waiting that maybe Garmin will hit the sales and prices starts to get lower, but some shooters in my area are reporting very consistent results with that FX setup, and it will calculate the bc.
    Last edited by Finn45; 06-18-2024 at 04:21 AM. Reason: typos

Boolit Master

My advice is to NOT buy a Garmin Xero as your first chrono.

You will not appreciate it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.