RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data

Thread: Did some more short to long range shooting today with different rifles.

Boolit Master

Did some more short to long range shooting today with different rifles.

A group of friends took me out yesterday to a new 750 yds range they have been working on. It has a couple of cement tables on cement slabs set back in the woods under some huge oaks in the shade about 30 yds. They had targets set at 100, 250, 300, 450, 500, 650 and 750 yds. They were only shooting bolt actions from .22lr to 22-250 and so on. I had 4 rifles with me. 2 Pedersoli Sharps, a down under 45/70 and a Silhouette 40/65, and a Winchester Hi Wall in 38/55. The fourth rifle was a 26" barrel 1894 Cimarron in 30/30. The three single shots all had good Seoule type sights and globe fronts. Thee 1894 had a factory buckhorn with a tiny gold bead that I had put on it over 1/2" tall, .595 I think, to get it zeroed at 100 yds. None of these rifles had been zeroed past 100 yds. All three single shots did well out to 750, with the 38/55 being the hardest to get on target with. I was shooting 540 Postells in the 45/70 and 335 gr Postells in the 40/65. The 40/65 was the flattest shooting of the bunch, and only required 2-3 shots at the longer distances to get on target and score repeat hits. The 30/30 was the last one I shot, and it had the elevator all the way down at 100 yds with 8 notches left, I figured it would get to 400 since they go about 50 yds a notch. Under 450 all clangers were hit quickly and easily, but when I went to the top notch, I was shooting over the target at 450, I had to back it down a notch and hold at 6 o'clock to hit it pretty well center, but then went 5 for 5 shots in a row. None of the shooters there had ever seen single shots with peep sights shot at long range, and all of them were astonished. Sitting in the shade looking out up the sunlit valley, made shooting pretty near perfect with peep sights. Most of them were astonished as well at the 30/30, they all thought they were good only to 150 yds. I was grateful to have great friends help me load and unload my guns and equipment, and that at nearly 62 years of age, my eyes are still holding up well, especially after all the sickness I have been thru the last few years. Bestest of times as one of my buddies calls them.

Now THAT'S a good day, thank you for sharing.

Boolit Master
    I sent TBG a pic to post.

That’s a nice place for shooting.
    You gave them a broader experience with your rifles yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks Thomas. At the far right side, you can see a finger of shade out in the field, that is 500 yds. The 650 and 750 are on up in the end. It was an idyllic day, cool temps, breeze blowing, good friends and good time.

Boolit Mold
    Congratulations on the good shooting! It's really sweet to have a spot like that to shoot, and the rifles to make it fun. I just hit the ripe age of 80 and spend at least 2-3 days per week at my shooting range north of Bozeman. I have leased a 640 about 30 miles out of town for many years so I have my camper there and a good shooting bench. Most of my shooting is with single shots: 1885 in .38-56, 1875 Sharps in .32-40, Rolling Block in .50-45, same in .45 Colt, and an 1871 Remington roller pistol in .44 Russian. I thought I'd eventually get tired of reloading and shooting and find a better hobby. As you well know, there isn't one!

Boolit Buddy
    Good for you, Sam. Really glad you had a good day of shooting.