Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: How many Hollywood Gun Shop Press owners?

How many Hollywood Gun Shop Press owners?

I'm curious how many members own Hollywood Gun Shop Presses? How many and what models?
    I have been fortunate to pick up a Wasp Waist Turret Tool, a Model "A", a Senior Short, Intermediate and Tallboy single stage presses, a Senior Turret and a Super Turret
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2528.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	327309
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2453.jpg  
    Last edited by greybuff; 06-08-2024 at 08:34 PM.
    The 82nd Airborne Taught Us To Make the Rules Not Follow Them Like Sheeple

Boolit Buddy
    Hey greybuff, very nice-looking presses, i crinkle painted the edge of my 12-hole turret but did not polish (mirror)the top. Next i'm going to build a 3/16" plate so i can bolt more to the back & sides.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Man
    I own 9, mostly turrets and a couple Seniors. Some are automatics, many are progressives, and the 2 single stages. I use mine for loading shotshells in 6 gauges from 410-10ga and exotics like 4" brass case 12ga FH slug loads. While I have original Hollywood dies, internal sizers, external sizers, wad seaters, crimp starters and crimp finishers in 12,20,and 410 (the ones I shoot most) I have made or acquired creative alternatives for external sizers, crimp starters, and crimp finishers in 16a, 28ga and 10ga because the Hollywood originals are difficult to find. I do have many Hollywood wad seaters (master dies first and second gen), internal sizers, decappers, and shell holders in all 6 gauges, with some duplicates. I have lots of powder measures and primer stems and other sundry parts.

As much as I like Hollywood's, I just don't understand people putting Hollywood presses on flea bay for 2x, 5x and even more than 10x value as starting bid. These auctions stay on flea bay for months and even years with no takers, even the 2x priced units. Meanwhile occasionally Hollywood' s come up at actual value and of course sell in 2 weeks for $200-$300. It leads people to believe Hollywoods are high priced when they really aren't. The automatics and Super Turrets were not made in great numbers (under 100 supposedly on Super Turrets). I have seen people say under 100 shotshell automatics were made, but one of mine is in the 200's and another in the 400's, so I know that is not true. However, hundreds is not a lot. Considering some models have been around for almost 100 years and many if not most have probably rusted away in someone's basement or garage, There may be only 100 or so of the rarer ones still out there.

There are inexpensive Lee presses with better compound leverage. Dillons are MUCH faster. However, if you need a press with a long throw for magnums or 50bmg, that will take huge 1.5" dies (or 8 of them), and you can't hardly break with a sledge hammer or 4 foot cheater bar, Hollywoods are your press. Not to mention 8 - 1.5" dies or 12 - 7/8" or combinations thereof on a single turret is just so darn convenient for certain shotshell and metalic reloading tasks and some swaging tasks. While I have seen many rusted ones, I have never seen or heard of one broken or warped out of shape. For their time, NOTHING else could touch them for strength, durability, and convenience. Almost 100 years after the first Hollywood's were made, for certain specialized tasks or combinations of tasks, there is still nothing else that can touch them in a single press.
    Last edited by rolltide999; 06-08-2024 at 11:47 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I only have 1 Hollywood press a Senior single stage. I really like it but it's as heavy as a boat anchor.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll have to go count but I consider them a 50 pound Swiss watch and have way too many to use them all.

I have a Hollywood 12 station universal, And a one piece cast iron senior single stage. Love the pair! I thought about setting up the universal in 12 gauge shotshell but I have a Dillon SL 900.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

I have the 12 station universal, the early 3 station turret, tall and short single stage seniors. I do all of my pistol loads on the 12 station. I use it more than my 650 because I’m always trying something new/different. All my target rifle ammo is done on the seniors, usually the short one.

Boolit Man
    I've got a 12-station universal that is steel (I think they made some in aluminum), 3-station turret, one aluminum senior and a couple of the steel seniors.

Boolit Man
    There are not a ton of people who know about or care about Hollywood's. Pretty small club. That does not bother me. I like what I like and if everyone else does, or no one else does, that is ok with me. Small demand keeps prices reasonable anyway (flea bay price scalpers not withstanding). It is kind of cool to hear how everyone else uses theirs.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    It's one I would like to have one of in my collection but is not one I'll ever be able to afford now that I'm retired . I love looking at them though .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!