Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Wasp Rice Shot Loads: .38/.45LC

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Rice shot howdah pistol in his fist, he looks around, his senses scanning for the flying foe.

Eyeing down the dangerous game responsible for 50 deaths per year his resolve is steeled with the knowledge that all who have faced it have fallen to the 9-Long-Grain...
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22mag 30GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

Boolit Grand Master
    Making these wasp loads has been a fun challenge.

I have pissed away enough money to buy 10 cans of wasp spray. But this is still cheap compared to shooting 15-20k rounds in Trap shooting a year.

I can’t wait to have a visitor over and see his reaction when I pick up the K38 and aim it at a wasp. The jungle telegraph will be singing.

Steve, thanks for starting me down the rabbit hole.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Making these wasp loads has been a fun challenge.

I have pissed away enough money to buy 10 cans of wasp spray. But this is still cheap compared to shooting 15-20k rounds in Trap shooting a year.

I can’t wait to have a visitor over and see his reaction when I pick up the K38 and aim it at a wasp. The jungle telegraph will be singing.

Steve, thanks for starting me down the rabbit hole.
    Glad to have given you some enjoyment. Even if it is a silly endeavor it has been fun. I grin like an idiot every time I send a wasp to meet Jesus.

I have shot my derringer 50X more doing this than I have since I bought it in 1990. It has sat in the drawer for years only coming out when someone wants to know what it's like to blast .410 out of a tiny pistol. One shot and done for most. TBH it has only been a novelty. I'm glad to have found a new purpose and enjoyment from it.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , S&W Mod 17 K22, Stevens Favorite .22mag 30GM, ADC .45/410, CZ SP01 9mm

I just found a bag of chia seeds in Fastlady's cupboard. Made me think of you guys. These seeds are really tiny or fine, mostly round-ish, consistent in shape, and quite hard. Should make for some excellent bug shot.
    https://www.walmart.com/tp/chia-seeds
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I just found a bag of chia seeds in Fastlady's cupboard. Made me think of you guys. These seeds are really tiny or fine, mostly round-ish, consistent in shape, and quite hard. Should make for some excellent bug shot.
    https://www.walmart.com/tp/chia-seeds
    It must be done. Load some up and see what happens.

Look what I found on FB Marketplace. I sent a message that I want to pick up a lb each of .310-.360. New experimentation coming. The .310 -.330s will fit inside a capsule.
    Maybe double ball .360 9mm/.38spl?

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Do you go into precision target shooting threads and ask "Why don't you just take a piece of paper and poke a hole in it with a pencil?"

Do you go into hunting threads and say "Why don't you just go to the grocery store and buy meat?"

This forum is for people who shoot, reload ammo, cast boolits and enjoy shooting sports. Personally I have gotten more enjoyment in loading these loads and shooting wasps and have enjoyed the camaraderie of those who have participated in this thread more than any shooting endeavor in years.

It is fun shooting wasps and has been fun working up loads for it. I no longer have wasps in my face on the porch and when they come to it I am actually happy to see them lol. Plus the rice was old and stale.

Ha, ha, ha! You get it.
    Not hating on the new commenter on the thread, but yes, well said. I could have bought some greasy beef cheaper than my firearms expenditure to eat venison. But the journey or chase is part of the enjoyment for many of us. I prefer the wasps over spiders, but still enjoy reading this thread!

I’ve got some auction 454 loads sitting around. I’ll pull the bullets and fertilize the flower bed, if you want some large capacity cases to test for this thread? Send me a pm with your address to send you a dozen or so.

Look what I found on FB Marketplace. I sent a message that I want to pick up a lb each of .310-.360. New experimentation coming. The .310 -.330s will fit inside a capsule.
    Maybe double ball .360 9mm/.38spl?

I’ve killed quite a few squirrels with a .310” ball from .30 caliber rifles- mostly 30-30. Using the capsule for a sabot is interesting stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Not hating on the new commenter on the thread, but yes, well said. I could have bought some greasy beef cheaper than my firearms expenditure to eat venison. But the journey or chase is part of the enjoyment for many of us. I prefer the wasps over spiders, but still enjoy reading this thread!

I’ve got some auction 454 loads sitting around. I’ll pull the bullets and fertilize the flower bed, if you want some large capacity cases to test for this thread? Send me a pm with your address to send you a dozen or so.
    Yep, nearly everyone on this site loves shooting, reloading and tinkering with guns. Doesn't matter what you are doing with them it's all about enjoying the hobby.

I would love to have that brass but I insist I pay for the shipping. Thanks you so much for the offer. PM sent
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’ve killed quite a few squirrels with a .310” ball from .30 caliber rifles- mostly 30-30. Using the capsule for a sabot is interesting stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah played with it a little:

OK so first I loaded (3) .310" balls into a capsule then thought about it and put the next .320" 3rd one in the capsule top which worked fine.

I tried (3) .330" but they just jammed up in the bullet seater so it was a wash

So the (2) .310" with (1) .320s worked good, can also seat (3) .320s in the capsule without a problem

I was having problems with one of my adapters firing and was dorking around with it. One case head seat is deep on the derringer and the 9mm cases sit slightly low in the adaptersso I have a few misfires. Anyways the group was after me dorking around and getting misfires and I wasn't focused so I think the group could be much better. 10ft

Finally tried (2) .360" balls with no capsule and the grouping was terrible. Not gonna bother with them unless someone has a good idea on how to make them work.

The why question reminds me of asking skydivers why they jump out of a perfectly good plane or a mountain climber why they climb. Unless you are like most of us the rest of the world just doesn’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    The why question reminds me of asking skydivers why they jump out of a perfectly good plane or a mountain climber why they climb. Unless you are like most of us the rest of the world just doesn’t get it.
    It's weird to hear it on a gun forum though--and in a shot load forum no less.

How big are the bugs you're hunting with tri-ball buck shot loads? Remind me not to come over to your house....
    Deplorable infidel

How big are the bugs you're hunting with tri-ball buck shot loads? Remind me not to come over to your house....
    Giant wood lice

Giant wood lice
    ^^^Like^^^
    If I get some free time, I'll post up some pics of my garden gun and a pattern shot with some chia seeds. I have a folding stocked, .44 cal, short double barrel smooth bore muzzle loader. You guys are gonna love this thing.
    Deplorable infidel

^^^Like^^^
    If I get some free time, I'll post up some pics of my garden gun and a pattern shot with some chia seeds. I have a folding stocked, .44 cal, short double barrel smooth bore muzzle loader. You guys are gonna love this thing.
    Sounds like a real nice little gun. I'd love to see it. Wasp cannon for sure.

Sounds like a real nice little gun. I'd love to see it. Wasp cannon for sure.
    It was made from a Cobray Arms, 410/45lc Derringer.
    Remember these nasty things?
    https://besthandgun.com/cobray-41045/
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=100711816
    The barrels are sleeved with the .44 barrels pressed in. Break open to access the #11 nipples, with a folding stock attached.
    It's rude and crude to look at, but is very well assembled and durable. Great little front stuffer to get the grand kids going. Maybe I'll have time to get it out tomorrow. Hopefully the pics will load with the site updates going on.
    How much 3F black powder should I load it with? I was thinking 3-5 grains should do fine for the seeds.
    Last edited by fastdadio; Yesterday at 09:20 PM.
    Deplorable infidel

It was made from a Cobray Arms, 410/45lc Derringer.
    Remember these nasty things?
    https://besthandgun.com/cobray-41045/
    https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=100711816
    The barrels are sleeved with the .44 barrels pressed in. Break open to access the #11 nipples, with a folding stock attached.
    It's rude and crude to look at, but is very well assembled and durable. Great little front stuffer to get the grand kids going. Maybe I'll have time to get it out tomorrow. Hopefully the pics will load with the site updates going on.
    How much 3F black powder should I load it with? I was thinking 3-5 grains should do fine for the seeds.
    Dad saw one years back and wanted one. I ended up ordering one for him. It's the double barrel shotgun. I think .410 only with long barrels and the folding stock. Neat little gun.

I'm not sure on the powder charge for it. My .38 and .45 loads are 2gr of shotgun powder, 9mm 0.5 to 1gr.
    Last edited by steve urquell; Yesterday at 10:21 PM.