RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Master
    For ones who still may not know. The 327FM calls for a small rifle primer that takes more of a wack to ignite. This is the reason for the heavy hammer springs in 327 revolvers. I have 2 9mm semi auto pistols, and a collection of 327 revolvers, plus the Henry rifle. I shot factory ammo, and roll my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    For ones who still may not know. The 327FM calls for a small rifle primer that takes more of a wack to ignite. This is the reason for the heavy hammer springs in 327 revolvers. I have 2 9mm semi auto pistols, and a collection of 327 revolvers, plus the Henry rifle. I shot factory ammo, and roll my own.
    I know the data calls for SRP for loading the 327 . I still use the SPP . I do not see any need to just buy primers that at this time will not use it in anything else. Besides I have my loads shoot the same ammo in my BH as in my Hadi Rifle in 327 . I am working on to have it shoot the same in the 4" SP 101 . That way I have one type of ammo in all.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    While Federal may use SRPs in their factory leadings, all of my hand loads (including a batch where I got somewhat exuberant with the powder) have had standard SPPs. My Model 66 cum 616 had previously been tuned for PPC and has a very light DA and SA trigger pull. With my hottest hand loads I see some primer flattening, but no sign of dangerous pressure damage. This is my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Load how you want, just saying if you drop that hammer spring to where it just does trip off standard spp, you're likely to have misfires when you filler up with factory fodder! I learned this vary early on with 327 double actions. I went back to the heavier hammer springs and practiced more double action shooting. YMMV

Boolit Master
    Load how you want, just saying if you drop that hammer spring to where it just does trip off standard spp, you're likely to have misfires when you filler up with factory fodder! I learned this vary early on with 327 double actions. I went back to the heavier hammer springs and practiced more double action shooting. YMMV
    I replaced the springs on my SP-101 with a Wolff spring kit. I later changed back to the factory hammer spring due to FTFs.

The Wolff trigger return spring probably made a bigger difference in the feel of the gun and is still installed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I replaced the springs on my SP-101 with a Wolff spring kit. I later changed back to the factory hammer spring due to FTFs.

The Wolff trigger return spring probably made a bigger difference in the feel of the gun and is still installed.
    Looks like we traveled the same road!

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked Speer, Hodgdon, Hornady, and Lyman manuals. Only one, Speer (IIRC) called for SRP's, the others depending on load called for SPM or SPP. Does throw another variable in the mix now for me.........Speer called for Fed 205's, and Fed has a reputation for being softer than most. If loading a harder SR primer I can see light hammer strikes increasing.

I have several 327's which have had lighter springs put in them and have not had light primer strikes with any of them aside from a Taurus, but I think I have that issue addressed and it was not a spring one.

Not saying that is a huge sample size, just stating my experience with the round.

Boolit Grand Master
    Project 616 was built on a highly modified Model 66. Most people who pull the trigger on it (SA or DA) are amazed at how smooth and light it feels... this was done when it was tuned for PPC work. Could I do it again? No, but but it sure came out sweet that time! And before you ask, it pops the prime first time every time, regardless of type or brand. back in the day, we always used Federal SPPs when we could get them, but I find that to be unnecessary.
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Project 616 was built on a highly modified Model 66. Most people who pull the trigger on it (SA or DA) are amazed at how smooth and light it feels... this was done when it was tuned for PPC work. Could I do it again? No, but but it sure came out sweet that time! And before you ask, it pops the prime first time every time, regardless of type or brand. back in the day, we always used Federal SPPs when we could get them, but I find that to be unnecessary.
    Froggie
    Really? You pop primers every time? Have you considered having the firing pin gently stoned down a little?
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Really? You pop primers every time? Have you considered having the firing pin gently stoned down a little?
    I said I “pop” the primer every time, meaning it goes off. I didn’t say “pierce” which would indicate improper ignition with the primer being unduly damaged. As I stated earlier, on some of my hottest factory or hand loads, I occasionally get some flattening, but no structure failures nor failures to fire. I’m quite happy with my firing pin just the way it is and don’t plan on altering it.
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I said I “pop” the primer every time, meaning it goes off. I didn’t say “pierce” which would indicate improper ignition with the primer being unduly damaged. As I stated earlier, on some of my hottest factory or hand loads, I occasionally get some flattening, but no structure failures nor failures to fire. I’m quite happy with my firing pin just the way it is and don’t plan on altering it.
    Froggie
    I misunderstood what you were getting at. I thought you meant it pierced primers.... No worries, if it doesn't do that I wouldn't mess with it either!
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    My full load .327s use a SR primer. The other day I was out shooting a SP101 that has a VERY nice action job...and brought the wrong bag of ammo with me that had SR primers. Only 1-2 in a cylinder full would go off DA and only 3-4 SA... Yet with SP primers will run 100% regardless of the make of the primer.

Yesterday had the same bag of ammo out with a Single-Seven and every one went off...

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    With all of my 32s I sorta work to the lowest common denominator. I size my bullets to .313” and use standard SPPs… both in S&W DA revolvers and Ruger SAs. My tuned DAs and my box stock SAs should set off whatever they’re likely to be fed.

I had my faux Model 16-3 built on a 14-3 receiver (apparently “stock”) and the ‘smith gave me tight chambers with .313” throats and my Project 616, as stated, was built on a highly tuned Model 66 ND, so both should fire the same 32 S&W Long ammo reliably.
    Of course the stock Ruger SAs don’t care. They’ll eat anything!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I am underwhelmed with my most recent .327, a Ruger SP101 3 inch. It has a miserable trigger.

Even after a thorough cleaning to remove metal chips and the addition of a spring kit, it is still gritty enough to remind one of a barefoot walk on gravel. I am hoping it will smooth out with use, but I am dismayed at how far QC has fallen at Ruger. I have several--actually three currently and one previously-Security Six series revolvers and all of them have decent triggers. Maybe not Pre-war S&W smooth, but decent to pretty good would describe them all. I have yet to run into an SP101 that has a good off the shelf trigger. (I know the fan boys will be jumping off their chairs to defend their personal guns, but I have only examined 6 or 8, and only have two, none of which had very good actions--though my 4 inch now after about two hours of work and 30 dollars in replacement springs and shims is acceptable.) I could have bought a Taurus for 200 dollars less and had a better trigger. Rant done.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    S&W makes DA revolvers, Colt makes auto pistols and Ruger makes SA revolvers. The more times I try to forget this, the worse my experiences seem to get... with only a few exceptions.
    Yes, I love me a 327 S&W and a 327 Super Blackhawk, but for a 45 ACP, give me an old Colt 1911!
    Froggie