MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: TC 7-30 Waters reloading question

TC 7-30 Waters reloading question

Not loading cast boolits, so don’t beat me up too bad. Loading some Hornady 139 gr Interlock. Hodgons load data lists OAL of 2.550”. That seems really deep with this bullet.

Seated to the cannelure, I’m measuring 2.75”. I’m not too well versed in TC firearms.

Did the plunk test and the action closed with no problem and the bullet was easy to remove. Can I roll with this OAL instead?

On the left is a factory 7-30. Or the right is my handload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

With a single shot no problems whatsoever until you jam into the rifling. If you do you may stick a bullet if you don't fire it. I have never had that great of results with a light jam unless I am soft seating.

The Hodgons load data lists OAL of 2.550 is most likely based on feeding in a levergun.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for above. You can double check seating issues by covering a loaded round's bullet with magic marker. Any contact with rifling will show up as scratches in the marker.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    TC is known for a longer throat in their barrels. I usually want at least one caliber depth of the bullet in the case. I’ll bet you a cold one you might not even be able to seat long enough to touch the rifling with a lighter bullet.

Boolit Buddy

+4. The loading manuals are assuming a lever action rifle. They do it with others like with 30-30 they generally show Winchester 94/Marlin feed compatible lengths and 300 Savage COL is always for the Savage 99 Rifle magazine. Many bolt guns and single shots have longer throats and can accept much longer than that.
    Also there is the spitzer vice usual flat nose bullets that tubular magazines require.

Boolit Buddy
    You can't assume the OAL for one bullet will be correct for another style and for a single shot you can seat it as long as you want till it hits the lands. Just looking at the bullets you will see most of the soft point will be sticking down the barrel not doing any harm.

If you would have seated that SP to the same length published for a flat point you could have got in trouble with a massively compressed load. You might not have been able to crimp it either since the diameter of the bullet at point looks to be smaller than the case mouth.

I have a handi rifle in 7-30 that was chambered with a factory made reamer and for my fire forming loads I was using some old 175 gr. bullets with a OAL of almost 2.90” and the bullets were not touching the rifling. I see no problems with a longer OAL in a single shot and it allows this cartridge to be all it can be. Jedman

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2FF91EC-4669-460D-9E97-15C211BD3750.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	326994

Here. Hornady themselves call for 2.830” oal with that bullet in the single shot pistol data.

Moderator Emeritus

If you note the taper on the Hornaday 139 gr bullet, your load and the factory one will have the same diameter at the contact point in the throat. When you want to play with cast try the lee bullet and 9 gr Unique.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze